Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?) - Page 224

Page 224 of 409 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214221222223224225226227 234 274 324 ... LastLast
Results 2,677 to 2,688 of 4901

Thread: Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternate solution

Quote Originally Posted by jhudler View Post
    Wow a idea just smacked me face or it's an obtuse day...

You can take 6 screws and place them in a tube (a little shorter then the screw) and fill it with a mixture of a Moglice type of EG. Wouldn't want to use Moglice here, it would cost a fortune.
    Jack,
    someone mentionned a few posts back to make an epoxy/zeeosphere putty.

Would this be applicable instead of Moglice, perhaps add a small quantity of Teflon powder(or graphite is less expensive) to make it more wear resistant??

BTW Eson you have a cool project in mind!

Best regards

Bruno

Downloads
    Uploads

Er,one tube, or do I misread your idea Jack ?
    Universal joint at the top and bottom of each leg ?
    John

It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bruno, That would certianly make a good Moglice substitute. My only concerns are the hardness of zeeospheres acting as an abrasive. The addition of teflon powder might mitigate this.
    Molybdenum powder might be better. I think Moglice is mostly Molybdenum Disulphide powder; just a guess, I've never seen a MSDS on it to know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    See picture. The cap's on the end could contain a divot or kinematic point that would help align the screw in the center. You would have to make a fixture to fix the tube parallel with screw and apply enough force to seat the screw in the divot.

This fixture would have to be small enough to fit in the cooker for post cure.

Jack

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)-hexapod1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got to get me some Moglice, the last time I saw this stuff was 18 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I misread the concept of your previous post.
    I thought you'd put six screws into one tube.
    John

It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Moglice

Jack,
    Compositon of Moglice is as follows: (source Free Patents online or Google "Moglice composition):

Title:Antifriction paste and solid antifriction coating prepared from same Document Type and Number:United States Patent 4329238 Link to this page:http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4329238.html, you can create a login account for free, the information is really worth it!! PDF versions are available for certain patents.

Abstract:An antifriction paste containing epoxy resin, molybdenum disulphide, graphite, aluminum, copper, alumosilicate and polyethylenepolyamine, the components being used in the following proportions (in parts by weight):
    epoxy resin: 40-80

molybdenum disulphide: 15-30

graphite: 10-15

aluminum: 5-10

copper: 5-10

alumosilicate: 8-15

polyethylenepolyamine: 5-10.

The antifriction paste may also contain a solvent for the epoxy resin in an amount from 5 to 30 parts by weight. This paste is suitable for both small-and large-size friction assemblies. On the basis of this paste a solid lubricating coating with high antifriction performance is produced. Thus, a coefficient of sliding friction ffr. at a sliding speed V=0.06 m/s at a load P=10 kgf/cm2 is 0.2; linear wear rate Ih under the same conditions is 1.0.10-9, and service life is as high as 500 km.

There are a bunch of slippery ingredients contained in Moglice, I wonder if MO Dissulphide is available in small qties.

Best regards

Bruno

Last edited by brunog; 01-19-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add further comments

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bloody ell I need to keep better care of this bottle! I just so happen to have a 10oz bottle of Dow Corning Molykote Z (pure molybdenum disulphide) rolling around the bottoms of my roll around. Must have been there for the last 25 years!
    Found it on McMaster-Carr (4328T62) for $63! Removed to a better place.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...6002&type=PROD

http://www4.dowcorning.com/DataFiles...c88003800e.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Cheap on Ebay.
    http://tinyurl.com/265wfn

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry's link as has teflon powder also.1/4lb for$7.00.
    Thanks Gerry>
    Larry

L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you guys have really come a long way since I posted the first thread about this when the site first started. Thanks everyone that has gone much deeper into the science on this.

No idea when I will get around to using this though. I have electronics junk to finish up first. But I guess I will start thinking about how far you can mold everything on a machine. Tensile elements will have problems. So ball screws probably need to be metal. Very slow spindles could probably be composite except the bearings. But anything running at a reasonable speed would need to be metal.

Are these materials tough enough to be used for molded on ways? I would imagine the top layer would need some sort of tough lubricant layer.

Downloads
    Uploads

'"Bruno, That would certianly make a good Moglice substitute. My only concerns are the hardness of zeeospheres acting as an abrasive. The addition of teflon powder might mitigate this."SORRY THE QUOTE DID NOT WORK ed,
    Jack the zeeospheres are 7to8 on the mohs hardness scale,same as tool steel.I am not sure,but ballscrews are Rc58 probably much harder than the spheres so the zeos should not cause excessive wear.They are still ballbearings locked in a matrix.Check page 2 of the PDF.The spheres should still have some bearing action.
    This surface action is similar to micronized waxes in paints and inks.Pop cans seem to have tough surfaces,but it is micronized wax in the coating which is like bearings on the surface.Abrasion is reduced as things just slip over the surface.
    Confused?I am.Hope you understand the drift.I haven't used any of this technology for 25yearsand may be out of date not to mention my poor memory.
    On hydraulic pressure:Take an inch long1/4-28 grade 8 socket screw in to an inch deep threaded hole with some oil in the blind hole and chances are the hydraulic pressure will strip the threads.
    Larry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)-microspheres-selection-pdf   Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)-drink-gif  
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Page 224 of 409 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214221222223224225226227 234 274 324 ... LastLast