Axis Alignment

Thread: Axis Alignment

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Axis Alignment

From the few builds and partial builds I have seen it appears most people are using embedded metal plates to adjust the machine alignment. Can any of you who have built a machine comment on how you aligned linear rails and even the base to z axis pieces with some lessons learned and things you may change? EG is very interesting to me but until I can get my head around all the alignment and mold making issues I am a little hesitant to jump in.

So would any of you like to share your method for getting and keeping everything in alignment?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Axis Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by blkexp98 View Post
    From the few builds and partial builds I have seen it appears most people are using embedded metal plates to adjust the machine alignment. Can any of you who have built a machine comment on how you aligned linear rails and even the base to z axis pieces with some lessons learned and things you may change? EG is very interesting to me but until I can get my head around all the alignment and mold making issues I am a little hesitant to jump in.

So would any of you like to share your method for getting and keeping everything in alignment?
    Check out Petruscad's build log in the "Uncatagorized metalworking machines". He is showing how to do the hand scraping of both the EG and the steel plates so that he can easily align his machine.

basically, it comes down to hand working or machine grinding the surfaces and also building adjustability into the machine so that the various parts can be aligned.
    when it is put together. A few special tools are needed such as dial indicators and a reference surface or two. Some of the less well thought out designs haven't given this design issue enough thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alignment of machine components used to take hours of precise hand scraping or shimming. Most often today people use precision epoxy grouts to set parts in very precise alignment. This requires precision fixtures, but is much quicker and than scraping or more reliable than shimming. A column can be set onto a base, waxing the base and roughing the bottom of the column, so it can be removed and replaced to location. We create linear way surfaces using a high strength replication grout and a precision fixture. The resulting surface will be as precise as the fixture and the process only takes a few hours.No sending the part out for grinding.

Downloads
    Uploads

Studer Grinders are made with epoxy granite bases. The slide ways are cast into the base. The base is first moulded and cured..then the slide ways are lowered into position with a precision Jig and they are finally cast into position.

Some of the DMG Mori CTX TC mill turn centres have epoxy granite bases. But they grind the epoxy granite surface to fit the linear rails onto. The only metal parts in the cast base are the threaded inserts that the rails are attached too.