Open source Windmill design.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open source Windmill design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Open source Windmill design.

Im not sure if this has been done already but I was thinking of putting together an open source Wind turbine design complete with cad files and some clear step by step .pdf plans

Anyone intrested in helping out?

My cnc is not up and running yet so this is a bit of a premature project, but I can help out with the chassis and tower deisgn. I have plenty of space and a decent workshop to prototype our designs.

I have setup a forum not sure if I can post the link here but you can PM for the address or we can start a thread here, though it would be usefull to have a subforum with multiple threads as im sure it will get messy in just one thread.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually I think there already out there, including the G-code for blades. Not sure if this was the site or not. http://www.windstuff.org/ the blade G-code I believe was a thread here at the CNCzone.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still it might be useful to have more information here. That is, it will reach a different audience. I personally would like to see a good DIY vertical shaft design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default vertical shaft turbines

I have played with very preliminary designs for vertical shaft turbines. They have some advantages when compared with horizonal shaft turbines in that they can utilize a larger cross section in comparision with required footprint size, they adapt to directionally shifting wind, and I think they could be deployed to hill and mountain tops with less aesthetic impact. But most vertical turbines must be started with an auxillary motor and that implies controls to determine when the wind is strong enough to justify the starting process and an available starting power source.

I can imagine a self starting the turbine that adjusts blade angle to extract energy in the downwind side while slicing through the wind on the other side. That adjustment could be made passivily, think in terms of a helecopter comuntator, but I think it would require some serrous computational fluid dynamics simulations plus some thoughtful mechanaical vibration analysis to tune the design.

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have not actually tried to build a vertical turbine, but I have studied a number of them. I do agree that borrowing from helicopter technology makes a lot of sense. The generator itself could be used as the starting motor if need be. Maybe a microcomputer could be used to control the system?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds good to me. I've been wanting to try a homemade vertical just to see how well it works. I'm sure it would be a crude prototype but what the heck?

I'll send you a pm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VAWT

Hi,

You might find my VAWT concepts interesting. Here are the video links.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXCguElUR3M"]YouTube- Wind Gin - Long Version - 9m24s

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpE5qQVSP5I"]YouTube- Wind Gin - Short Version - 2m36s

Good Luck!
    Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very good! Would be a very interesting project. My ideas are pretty primitive by comparison. Usually involving something like cutting a bunch of barrels in half. LOL Thanks for sharing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The idea is quite clever. From the practical point of view however, I think the wear and tear will kill the idea. And there is the noise as well. I don't think the neighbours would approve. Good luck with your pursuits though. abbabba

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have added some explanations to the Wind Gin Long Version.

Thank You,
    Bill Jenkins

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bill,
    have any of your design been built and tested yet?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bob,

I did a very rough experiment that I assembled on site about 9 years ago of the J1 design. The experiment proved out the basic mechanics but that's it. No Shop + No Money = No More Experiments. I have a 20 second video of it working but the simulations do a much better job.

I started learning CAD a couple of years ago and I decided to attempt the design concept in 3D. I knew it would have a wild look but I decided to do it anyway. I think the design is simple but I certainly understand that others will see it as too complex. I do think the design could be simplified a good bit.

Thanks for your interest!
    Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bill,
    Keep use posted.
    Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Wind Turbine

Hello, I have uploaded a new low speed wind turbine simulation. Thanks, Bill
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_lCQyvrtA"]YouTube- RECIPROCATING Wind Turbine -- Low Speed Concept[/nomedia]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the video, you have a very interesting design.
    Not for a dumb amateur like me, but interesting anyway.
    I hope you are successful with it.
    Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Two more in the works.

Thanks Bob,

I have two more designs in the works. The next one I will upload will only work in special locations but it is real simple compared to the wild concepts I have on YouTube at the moment. Then I have an HAWT propeller that you might find more interesting. I think the propeller could be a neat addition for a DIY windmill project. I will post a message when I upload them.

I appreciate your interest.
    Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks will watch for it.
    Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wind Trap

I have uploaded a new video. This is my second upload in the last week. Thanks for your interest.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61xwoDjSwE"]YouTube- Wind Trap - Wind Turbine[/nomedia]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again,
    I understand there are powerful winds along ridges, so a lot of potential for harnessing. What you need now is a government grant.
    Have you applied for one yet?
    Anyway Thanks,
    bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grant?

Hi Bob,

No, I have not applied for any grants. My drawings become public domain when I upload them to YouTube. At least that is my understanding. I have been interested in wind power for a long time and it is my personal belief that cost effective wind power is possible at lower wind speeds. The following excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine basically states the opposite. I think the statement was specifically referring to traditional propeller designs. My concept drawings are my attempt to show that low wind speed designs have potential. Also, I have enjoyed learning how to draw in 3D and make accurate simulations.
    ----------------
    “Wind speed can mean a large difference in available energy and in electricity produced, and therefore, a large difference in the cost of the electricity generated. Also, there is little energy to be harvested at very low wind speeds (6-mph winds contain less than one-eighth the energy of 12-mph winds).”
    ----------------
    Unfortunately, it would take more time and money than most individuals have just to prototype as I’m sure you know. A grant application sounds like a logical step and I welcome anyone with the business skills to take any of my unproven concepts forward. Here is the link to my videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWindGinProject

I realize that my unproven conceptual drawings may be looked at as far-fetched but from a positive perspective, there are many possible improvements and design changes that could be made. One thing that is proven is the power of a steady 6 to 8 MPH wind. Hanggliders, Paragliders, Sailplane Pilots, Kiteboarders and Surfboaders prove this every day.

I sincerely appreciate your interest and I’m still thinking about the DIY propeller design. I’m not confident that I will have anything to show you but I haven’t given up on it yet.

Respectfully,
    Bill

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast