Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Open source Windmill design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Impressive.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just stumbled onto this thread and like some of the concepts, I have a forum for discussions on alternative energy (Wind, Hydro, Solar, etc…) I actually have trouble getting people to have intelligent interaction like your having here.

Keep up the good work.

Rob.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Made new metal back rotors for first PMA prototype

Greetings, I fabricated metal back rotors for a vertically stacked stator and rotor PMA. There are two stators with 9 coils. They have been wired to six coils per phase.
    Results from today’s testing.
    Stator resistance 3 ohms.
    Open Voltage AC: RPM’s
    13.5 200
    26.0 400
    52 800

I was unable to test current. I have to purchase diodes

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-maginrotor-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-2-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-1-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-2stator3rotor-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates? How's the fabrication going?

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool VAWT project, large diameter pipe cutter

Greetings, the only part of the fabrication that was giving me problems was the stator spaces inside the PMA. The design uses short cut tube pieces of PVC pipe. It is the only part of the design that has to cut to precision. I was wasting a lot of material trying to cut the pieces on a table saw. I found a solution and I spent two weeks fabricating a large diameter pipe cutter. I attached a cordless cut off tool to the device and after adding some guide stops I can now cut precision metal rings and plastic spacers. I am also taking a few days to clean up the shop work area before I injure myself. Thanks for keeping me focused. Best regards.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-dscn0072-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-bladeadvance-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-cutter-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-guide-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, that is quite the pipe cutter! Do you have a patent on it yet J How long dose it take to get through a metal pipe?

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool VAWT project, large diameter pipe cutter

Greetings, Reed Manufacturing has a similar device. I added the cutter off grinder to speed up the cuts. It uses a carbide cut off wheel. It cuts PVC really fast, I have not tried metal yet but it should only take a few rotations. I am working on plans for a bench model. The local metal supplier was saying that my small orders of 20 metal rings was cost them to much money because it was wearing out their band saw blades. Buying a band saw large enough to make the cuts is outside my budget. Patents cost a lot of cash and I do not believe that there is any new idea here, plus once you post the idea in the public domain it becomes a free for all. If you like the idea use it. I have finished the blade rotors and I am working on the blades and another PMA, then it is time for another road test. Time to go back to work, enjoy the day, best regards. Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I was only joking about the patent, that’s what the <SMILE> was for. I love to see someone put in the time to make a tool, jig, or fixture to help get a job done. Even when making the tool takes 10 time longer than making the part does with the tool. <SMILE>

I find your design interesting. I myself am a big fan of the VAWT even with its inefficiencies. I think the fact that they are simpler and will run in low wind conditions an advantage.

Rob.

VoltsAndBolts Alternative Power Forums

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default stacked stators and rotors PMA

Greetings, I am reworking the 6 inch diameter stacked stators and rotors PMA. I found a 3 foot 5/8 shaft that fits my bearings and hubs. This will allow adding a second hub and spoke assembly to be added. This will make the blades easier to assemble to the PMA and more stable during operation. I added ¾ x 1 inch magnets to all the rotors. I still have to cut the grooves for the connection wires and fabricate the new mast mount. Once standard size parts are established fabrication of more units will progress at a faster rate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-longshaft-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-sideup-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-top-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-topplate-jpg  

Open source Windmill design.-dspacertopmagplate-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-dmagstator-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

How long before you can do output power testing? Any idea as to the RPM you want to run your PMA at?

Rob.

Deeds not words...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    Well, that is quite the pipe cutter! Do you have a patent on it yet J How long dose it take to get through a metal pipe?
    Greetings, the only part of the fabrication that was giving me problems was the stator spaces inside the PMA. The design uses short cut tube pieces of PVC pipe. It is the only part of the design that has to cut to precision. I was wasting a lot of material trying to cut the pieces on a table saw. I found a solution and I spent two weeks fabricating a large diameter pipe cutter. I attached a cordless cut off tool to the device and after adding some guide stops I can now cut precision metal rings and plastic spacers. I am also taking a few days to clean up the shop work area before I injure myself. Thanks for keeping me focused. Best regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PMA update

Greetings, I did some simple tests of the 6 inch diameter and the RPMs need to achieve a cut in voltage was to high for direct drive. The 6 inch diameter will require a 4:1 gearbox to be useful. I had much better results with the 8 inch dual stator. On the 8 inch with one stator the cut in voltage was at 800 RPMs and when I added the second stator the RPMs needed for cut in dropped to below 200 RPMs. Based on that I am adding a third stator to the 8 inch configuration. I am putting the 6 inch PMA project on hold for now. I am also waiting for ordered parts to arrive so I can complete the new blade configuration. I should know more in a few weeks. Enjoy the day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-coilmag-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-newstator-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VAWT project, PMA bearing question

Hi, I have working on a permanent magnet alternator. Is there a bearing that is designed to take a load on a vertical shaft? Comments welcome. Enjoy the day.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkErZ07RLfo"]YouTube - &#x202a;VAWT, ThorZen&#x202c;&rlm;[/nomedia]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-1-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The project looks good. Thrust bearings will handle the axial loads. Tapered roller bearings will handle a combination of radial and axial loads but may have more resistance than other types.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual test of PMA

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGeeJBaLpVA"]YouTube - &#x202a;VAWT PMA, pushing electrons&#x202c;&rlm;[/nomedia]

Video of manual test, enjoy the day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VAWT project, Vertical PMA

Hi, I completed fabrication of PMA proto type. The configuration does work. I am now working on bench test fixture so I can measure values at different RPMs using a 12 volt deep cell as a test load.

Posting known specs of newest PMA configuration:
    3 phase Star/ 12 coils per phase
    coils: 2 in hand 22 AWG, 100 turns
    phase resistance 9.7 ohms, measured at output to output
    16 magnets/rotor, 1 x ¾ N42 cylinders

Measured using 12 volt battery as test load:
    190 RPM
    Vdc = 11.5
    Amps dc = 3.5

I will post more measured values when available.

The largest stator I can fabricate has a 10 inch diameter. I am interested in generating a high output at a low RPM. Is it better to use more small magnet or fewer large magnets for the given stator size?
    Comments welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-1-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-testfixture1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stratum PMA, with planetary Gear

Hi, I discovered that have 12 coils per phase performed well at low RPMs but had very high efficiencies losses due to high internal resistance at high RPMs. I connected the 3 stators in parallel and the efficiency improved at higher RPMs.

3 stators parallel, each stator is a 3 phase/4 coils per phase/Star, internal resistance 1.9 ohms measured at L1’,L2’

DC amps__________RPMs
    0.03___________150
    1.56___________186
    2.95___________270
    6.5____________360

I am also adding a 1:3 planetary gear drive to the top of PMA. This is a first attempt at fabricating a planetary gear and making everything line up is very challenging. Video shows problem areas that need to be addressed. Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDMdc07oWpk]&#x202a;GEARBOX PMA&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-3phaseconnpar-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-2-jpg   Open source Windmill design.-1-jpg  
    Last edited by Burnit0017; 08-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding 1:10 gear drive to top of PMA

Greetings, the results of the road test revealed that the PMA requires a 1:10 gear drive using the current blade configuration for the PMA output to reach its optimum performance. Because the planetary gear configuration is limited I decided to fabricate a stacked gear drive. This was a first attempt and the gear drive was configured with a 1:12 ratio. The gear drive does work but is very noisy. I am now trying to replace the gears using a timing belts and cogged pulleys. I plan on buying the belts required and cutting the pulleys myself. If anyone has any experience with the proposed design change, comments are welcome.
    Road test results using 1:3 planetary gear drive using a 12 volt deep cell as test load:

MPH___________DC amps
    5______________0.01
    20_____________1.3
    25_____________3.0
    30_____________5.5
    35_____________6.5
    40_____________9.0

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open source Windmill design.-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work, but I have a question.
    If you use a battery as a test cell will it not change internal resistance depending upon level of charge? Won't that make your test results vary?
    Thanks,
    Bob B

Downloads
    Uploads

Default test results

Quote Originally Posted by 40fordcoupe View Post
    Very nice work, but I have a question.
    If you use a battery as a test cell will it not change internal resistance depending upon level of charge? Won't that make your test results vary?
    Thanks,
    Bob B
    Hi, I found the output of a permanent magnet alternator acts like a current source. The output does change with different test loads at the same RPM. As the voltage of the battery increases the internal resistance changes and the output of the PMA changes.
    I am still learning, but the test method does provide some base numbers to judge if any design change improves the output of the PMA. There are a lot of misconceptions using just Watts to judge the performance of a PMA. If you use just Watts as a comparison, is it high voltage and low current or high current and low voltage?
    10volts x 1amp = 1volts x 10amps = 10 Watts
    A dump load charge controller will be used to prevent the batteries from over charging.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast