The Coming Climate Change - Page 391

Page 391 of 460 FirstFirst ... 291341381388389390391392393394401441 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,820 of 9184

Thread: The Coming Climate Change

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well....sort of tells the value of peer revue, does consensus follow not too far behind...??

Clarification..... http://paleblueblog.org/post/9110304...-clarification

Although the NASA guy did state an apology for including NASA [He only works at NASA as a postdoc and is not paid by NASA so his NASA connection is minimal, more like a intern] , but, the very fact that this paper was accepted and peer revued causes one to distrust the process....

Last edited by dufas; 08-20-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

To be Peer reviewed means that you are being scrutinised by people that think and act like you do......so if'n the guy was a cleaner at NASA after hours and his work mates (also cleaners and mopper outs) were of equal standing do we then have a consensus of opinion by cleaners and scrubbers.....and they still think NASA went to the Moon....LOL.

They'll be saying that it's gonna rain next, so we're back on track with the Climate Change phenomena, now that's what I call peer reviewing.....peering into the entrails to see what they can make of it, and by consensus they come to the conclusion that...."it won't happen today and it won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen"....coming to your neighbourhood soon.....LOL.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Don’t let ideology sway you, use our reality...

Case closed: “Climategate” was manufactured | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Case closed: “Climategate” was manufactured

It’s not often you can actually say "case closed", but in this case it’s literally true: climatologist Michael Mann has been cleared of all wrongdoing by the Inspector General of the National Science Foundation.

Did I say "has been cleared"? I meant has been cleared once again, since there have been several investigations into his research and Dr. Mann has been cleared of all charges every single time (like here and here). All of this stemmed from the "ClimateGate" nonsense of the past couple of years, where leaked emails were taken hugely out of context by the press and climate change deniers, and used to smear scientists. Dr. Mann was at the center of the whole manufactured controversy, being the biggest target of the people who want to deny the Earth is warming up.

This latest, and hopefully last, investigation into Dr. Mann’s research (PDF) again shows he is not guilty of misconduct. A couple of the report conclusions are worth pointing out:

We found no basis to conclude that the [Climategate] emails were evidence of research misconduct or that they pointed to such evidence.

That’s clear enough, I think. They also said:

There is no specific evidence that [Mann] falsified or fabricated any data and no evidence that his actions amounted to research misconduct.

A big claim by the deniers is that researchers were using "tricks" to falsify conclusions about global warming, but the NSF report is pretty clear that’s not true. The most damning thing the investigators could muster was that there was "some concern" over the statistical methods used, but that’s not scandalous at all; there’s always some argument in science over methodology. The vague language of the report there indicates to me this isn’t a big deal, or else they would’ve been specific. The big point is that the data were not faked.

What does this mean for global warming? A lot of these attacks can be traced back to the famous "hockey stick" diagram, showing how Earth’s temperatures have been increasing rapidly in recent times. This graph is what really clinches the idea of man-made global warming, and so has been the epicenter of the manufactroversy. The fact that Dr. Mann has been cleared again, and that his data are good, shows that this graph is even more solid — or at least is not as weak as so many would lead you to believe.

And what does this mean about "ClimateGate"? That’s clear enough: all the outrage, all the claims of fraud and fakery, were just — haha — hot air.

Not that this will stop or even slow down the denial machine. Politicians from the Virginia State Attorney General to members of the House of Representatives have been on what I would characterize as witch hunts. Dr. Mann has been vocal in his opposition, and I applaud him. Still, needless to say, the attacks will continue.

Here are the facts: the Earth is warming up. The rate of warming has increased in the past century or so. This corresponds to the time of the Industrial Revolution, when we started dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases warm the planet (hence the name) — if they didn’t we’d have an average temperature below the freezing point of water. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas which is dumped into the atmosphere by humans to the tune of 30 billion tons per year, 100 times the amount from volcanoes. And finally, approximately 97% of climatologists who actually study climate agree that global warming is real, and caused by humans.

Those are simply the facts. It’s not hard to connect them, as long as you stick to reality and don’t let ideology sway you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone notice the remarkable timing of this spin, by NSF of all organizations, and the receipt of the FOIA emails from VA????

PUtting the cart before the horse, we'd ask??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Anyone notice the remarkable timing of this spin, by NSF of all organizations, and the receipt of the FOIA emails from VA????

PUtting the cart before the horse, we'd ask??
    I would suggest it is the old "We investigated ourselves and found we did no wrong.." that is also used by politicians, etc, etc, or any organization that has an agenda that gets caught with their fingers where they shouldn't be...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, and OJ was also found innocent and of course Clinton did not "lie".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The CROCK

When I was in high school our earth science teacher made it a point to let us know that the "scientist" had declared the ice age was over. Checking different sources it was sometime in the 60-70's that it was declared. Hmmm anyone living in an area that experiences snow or worse... can tell you that when winter is over it doesn't take long for the snow and ice to melt away. Taking that into consideration lets compare that to the glaciers melting at an "alarming rate" funny how no one compares the time it takes for normal snow/ice to melt and the speed at which the glaciers are melting. I would expect they are melting at the same rate. Of course the earth will get warmer just as it gets warmer in summer. This ice age is over what do they expect will happen?? everything to stay as it is ?? I for one am looking forward to a less expensive heating bill .... and warmer winters. :banana
    Its also interesting how no one talks about the amount of pollution that one volcano throws in the atmosphere during an eruption, which I am sure is 1 billion times what humans produce in 100 years. The bigger the eruption ...you get the point. There is also a volcano in Indonesia, I believe, that is filled with sulfur that the natives mine on a daily basis, with a crater lake that is pure sulfuric acid. Watched it eat a rubber raft in less than a hour. so what kind of pollution does that cause around the world. Kawah Ijen Volcano and Sulfur Mine - Indonesia if your interested in checking it out.
    Read a report that ...hold on to your hats... was written by a scientist at NASA studying the affects of the excess C02 in the atmosphere and according to the satellite readings the earth is giving off more heat if not the same amount of heat into space as before the so called CO2 buildup...yeah they aren't happy about that one either that completely blew chunks all over the CO2 green house gas theory. oh??? what ever happened to the ozone hole?? No one seems to concerned over that anymore since DuPont got their new refrigerant patent and is protected for another 20 years, funny how this all worked out.
    Maybe they should just go back to using the atomic war scenario to scare us because I don't believe anything they say any more ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Physics problem solved....

Way off subject but........ physics is as physics does...

================================================== ========

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was scientifically very profound.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which soulcenter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY " A "

Downloads
    Uploads

I could never remember the difference between endothermic and exothermic, until one day my science teacher exclaimed, "let it out, exhale it".....the light at the end of the tunnel started to shine brightly from that moment on.

I expect the fact that God smiles on the fortunate, who actually don't need a smile but are gratefull anyway, is irrelevent to their success rate, which reminds me of an occurence that happened many years ago to my late Grandfather.

I went to visit him just about the time when the end was very near, and to give him some comfort at a very trying time, especially as he had never embraced any denomination or expressed any belief in a trancendental entity that oversees all our endeavours, and so he was slightly anxious for his future wellbeing short as it might be.

I asked the nurse on his ward to look to his needs and I would meet the bill.

The next day I was informed of his passing and his last words. They were very puzzling, more so as he had not been to church in his life or acknowledged any other form of divine providence.

Just before he passed on, he called out in a hoarse voice loudly, "Wait for me Lord, I'm coming"....it is nice to know that at the very moment of truth some truth comes out.

I thanked the nurse for making his final moments memorable.....and judging by the smile on his face at least he was heading for Heaven if'n Hell has frozen over....LOL.

I don't think anyone can deny the Climate Change theory anymore, it's late August in the Southern Hemisphere and in OZ we are going to have 21 deg C tomorrow, that's a heat wave by any standards, even though it was 5 deg C overnight.

This is a whole lot different to the Global Warming hypothesis, which by all accounts is not a happening or occurence unless someone pays you to juggle the figures until they make "sense", then you will have to pay a Carbon Tax to make the hypothesis go into reverse gear, so being hoist by your own petard is a very true statement of fact.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A comment about computer models by some unknown genius...

“These models tend to ‘work’ until there is some kind of structural shift.”

English translation...? “These models tend to work until they don’t work.”

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mental illness rise linked to climate

Mental illness rise linked to climate

RATES of mental illnesses including depression and post-traumatic stress will increase as a result of climate change, a report to be released today says.

The paper, prepared for the Climate Institute, says loss of social cohesion in the wake of severe weather events related to climate change could be linked to increased rates of anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress and substance abuse.

As many as one in five people reported ''emotional injury, stress and despair'' in the wake of these events.

The report, A Climate of Suffering: The Real Cost of Living with Inaction on Climate Change, called the past 15 years a ''preview of life under unrestrained global warming''.

''While cyclones, drought, bushfires and floods are all a normal part of Australian life, there is no doubt our climate is changing,'' the report says.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Weather vs Climate

The ability of Warmists to delude themselves never ceases to amaze me!

We had a cool summer, early wet cold winter and now that we have some nice early spring weather it's climate change!

Most of Australia is coming out of a drought which was predicted by scientists who weren't payed or bullied into spouting Al Gorisms - This El-Nino/El Nina effect was triggered mostly by one large volcanic eruption in the Phillipines which emitted more greenhouse gases than humanity has in the modern age.

Some other volcanic activity contributed to this as well, plus the planet has a climate which means things vary - e.g. there is strong scientific evidence that white man arrived in Australia at the beginning of a rather wet period following a far bigger drought and simply have a skewed image of what Australian Weather is!

The most important thing is that the planet only has one climate - producing far greater quantities of more serious pollutants in China and the Third World is not improving our situation.

I'd rather be on a warm living planet than a cold dead one!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dufas View Post
    Mental illness rise linked to climate............

This much is Gospel truth! Take, for example, what has happened to Algore ......... and williewacker!!!!!!!!!

“ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ..and we are told scientists don't have agendas....

Isn't it interesting that an agenda driven scientist is in charge of the data that is used to prove that his agenda is completely correct and everybody and everything else is wrong. Sort of proves Climagate was real...

Just seems like having a Klu Klux Klansman presiding over a court hearing on discrimination, doesn't it?

NASA Top Climate Scientist Arrested On White House Protest | FoxNews.com

NASA Top Climate Scientist Arrested on White House Protest

Alongside actress Daryl Hannah, religious leaders, and dozens of eco-activists arrested Monday outside the White House protesting a planned oil pipeline from Canada to the U.S. Gulf of Mexico stood an unlikely partner -- NASA's top climate scientist and government official James Hansen.

Hansen, a controversial and highly vocal proponent of the argument that man's actions have dramatically affected the planet's climate, is the director of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies -- a position for which he earns a $180,000 taxpayer-paid salary.

Last edited by dufas; 08-31-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

Alarmists Got it Wrong, Humans Not Responsible for Climate Change: CERN - International Business Times

By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 1, 2011 1:31 AM EDT

Alarmists Got it Wrong, Humans Not Responsible for Climate Change: CERN

Research findings published by none other than CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in the journal Nature which holds cosmic rays and the Sun, not human activities, responsible for global warming, isn't exactly what Gore would welcome right now.

CERN, which created and operates the Large Hadron Collider, has now built a stainless steel chamber that precisely recreates the Earth's atmosphere. In this chamber, 63 CERN scientists from 17 European and American institutes demonstrated that cosmic rays promote the formation of molecules which grow in Earth's atmosphere and seed clouds, making it cloudier and cooler.

"Because the sun's magnetic field controls how many cosmic rays reach Earth's atmosphere (the stronger the sun's magnetic field, the more it shields Earth from incoming cosmic rays from space), the sun determines the temperature on Earth," Lawrence Solomon, director of Energy Probe, wrote about the experiment.

Within a day, chairman of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), Bert Bolin, denounced the theory, saying, "I find the move from this pair scientifically extremely naive and irresponsible."

"Although they never said so, the High Priests of the Inconvenient Truth - in such temples as NASA-GISS, Penn State and the University of East Anglia - always knew that Svensmark's cosmic ray hypothesis was the principal threat to their sketchy and poorly modelled notions of self-amplifying action of greenhouse gases," Nigel Calder, well-known science writer wrote about the CERN findings. "In telling how the obviously large influences of the Sun in previous centuries and millennia could be explained, and in applying the same mechanism to the 20th warming, Svensmark put the alarmist predictions at risk - and with them the billions of dollars flowing from anxious governments into the global warming enterprise."

Downloads
    Uploads

Gavin, over at RealClimate, is dismissing the results to the CERN GCM/Cloud study as showing 1. the influence of galactic cosmic rays is minimal, and 2. there is more study to be done.

Funny though, the influence that Gavin and the Team suggest as being around 1%, is really rather significant.

I'm waiting for the science to play out a little more in the working community before I grab on to the brass ring. Nir Shaviv has some interesting things to say about it, and I'm happy to see Svensmark being vindicated...even if Gavin and the boys don't much like it.

See where the Editor-in-chief has resigned because of a journal accepting a "flawed" peer reviewed paper...a paper that was reviewed by qualified scientists selected by the publishing journal, but were "sceptics"?

Btw.....just for fun....if you read the stuff at RealClimate (or the CERN papers, preferably both, preferably several independent reviews.... ) you'll note the comment of up to 12% at really cold temperatures....

Liquid water has been observed at high altitudes at -36deg. Whoda thunkit! (I got that from a first-hand observer)

Last edited by fizzissist; 09-02-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added a btw...

Downloads
    Uploads

An editor of a scientific journal has resigned because a "sceptic" paper was published. (I'm happy he's resigned.....it's an admission he's biased!!)

Over at Bishop Hill, Jonathan Jones had this to say:

"This is truly bizarre, and just shows how profoundly warped the climate science community has become. I make no judgement here on the correctness of the paper, but editors just don't resign because of things like this.

Nobody resigned at Science when they published that utter drivel about bacteria replacing phosphorus with arsenic; they just published seven comments (IIRC) back to back with a rather desperate defence from the original authors.

Nobody resigned at Phys Rev Lett when I trashed a paper (on the evaluation of Gaussian sums) they had selected as one of the leading papers of the month: indeed nobody has formally ever accepted that I was right, but remarkably all the later papers on this subject follow my line.

I have been up to my neck for over a year in a huge row with Iannis Kominis about the underlying quantum mechanics of spin sensing chemical reactions, and either his papers or mine (or just possibly both) are complete nonsense: but nobody has resigned over Koniminis's paper in Phys Rev B or mine in Chem Phys Lett.

Sure, my two controversies above never hit the popular press, but the arsenic stuff was discussed all over the place, far more than Spencer and Braswell.

What sort of weird warped world to climate scientists inhabit? How have they allowed themselves to move so far from comon sense? What is wrong with these guys?"

- Bishop Hill blog - +++Journal editor*resigns+++

Exactly. What is wrong with these guys??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default AGW Logically Impossible?

My favorite?

#38. 97% of scientists agree on Anthropogenic Global Warming, a number likely to surpass the figures related to any agreement among evolutionary biologists on how exactly Darwinism works, among physicists on how exactly the Universe works, and among epistemologists on how exactly science works

Why AGW Is Logically Impossible « The Unbearable Nakedness of CLIMATE CHANGE

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm.... our species will never overcome its primal nature with the new-found ability of 'logical' reasoning. Genetic imperatives will always dominate and skew our perspective with mysticism and denial, hence we continue headlong towards our own demise...even our pathetic attempts at eco-friendly living are rewarded with a rush of endorphins from the right-side of the brain...

This is a natural safety mechanism (evolution=extinction, mainly) and the only logical conclusion for the survival and continued evolution of the biosphere. Bring it on!!!!!

DP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bring it on!!!!!

This is a natural safety mechanism (evolution=extinction, mainly) and the only logical conclusion for the survival and continued evolution of the biosphere. Bring it on!!!!!

Page 391 of 460 FirstFirst ... 291341381388389390391392393394401441 ... LastLast