The Coming Climate Change - Page 764

Page 764 of 764 FirstFirst ... 264664714754761762763764
Results 9,157 to 9,163 of 9163

Thread: The Coming Climate Change

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Coming Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by dufas View Post
    As we are slowly being pushed back to the 17th century....................
    ****************************************************************************************

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com...w-study417804/

Hydropower isn’t as clean as we thought.

Hydropower has always been touted as a clean source of generating electricity, despite of the facts that it displaces thousands of people from their natural abodes, destroys their lives and livelihoods and submerges huge amounts of lands and forests.

Now, a new study claims that it is also accelerating global warming (See:
    Hydropower is accelerating global warming

Hydropower is not as clean as it appears now. Though much attention has been paid to their effects on fisheries and the natural flow of rivers, little attention has been focused on their carbon footprint. According to new studies, the reservoirs are responsible for 1.3% of all GHG emissions worldwide. Now it is to calculate how it will affect the hydropower-depending nations, especially those who are developing ones, in the following years to meet the Paris Agreement guidelines and other international climate policies.
    Dufa....have you ever considered that the reason we have more and more water based electricity generators is because WE HAVE TOO MANY DAMMED PEOPLE....and the problem won't go away seeing as how we now make sure that every one of them born, either in good health or a village idiot will survive come what may.

Time to evaluate what is required and bite the bullet like it or not.....you can't keep burying your head in the sand and hope the problem will go away.......maybe you could pray that it will, but that's rank Catholicism without reservation.

BTW......don't get your knockers in a twist with this suggestion, but it might help if you do.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the design process for a solar powered machine shop and initially i only plan to operate one mill/lathe at a time and I've calculated that a 5k pv system can operate a 1.5 hp setup (on a yearly basis, given the average sunlight in my area). The assumption is based on a 5 day, 8 hour work period.
    I think i've discovered a place to lower electricity costs tho, in case I need to do some limited overtime. Since I'm using LinuxCNC and running off a laptop, there's an inherent power loss by using an inverter to change 12 volts to 120, then using a power supply to drop the voltage back down to what the laptop uses. Does anyone know of a computer system that will accept a standard 12 volt supply from the batteries that is LinuxCNC compatible, so I don't have to lose the power from the double conversion?

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My view is that we are living on a rock, a nice rock but just a rock. There are many more rocks out there some of them useful to us. Our rock has a finite life time, it will be destroyed one day.
    Our sun will expand one day vaporising this little rock of ours. We will be struck again by an asteroid like the ones in our past. It is our duty, our destiny to leave this rock one day. I have no problem with consuming every erg available to get us off of this rock. We belong amongst the stars. If you want something to fret about, worry that explorers from elsewhere will find a dead word here with our fingers around each others throats.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/anyvolt3 this is powering the laptop on my yardbot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

from the article

"Terry said that solar panels use hazardous materials like sulfuric acid and toxic phosphine gas in their manufacturing. Recycling these materials is extremely difficult and the panels have relatively short operational lifespans."
    yep, they are so toxic they don't get recycled.. they get re-used and consumed. God forbid you get in a car crash and that gallon of sulfuric acid in your car battery takes some zinc off the guard rail

"If you just throw a solar panel in a landfill, it’ll break down and cause issues"
    no it won't. glass, silicon, lead free solder. no worse than any other electronics. bacteria will evolve to eat the EVA given enough time.

"Barrett also pointed out that nuclear waste with the greatest radiation hazard decays fairly quickly, while solar panel waste can remain in the environment for a much longer period of time."

spare me. grind up those panels and dump them on the beach. a few years later you won't be able to tell the difference between natural sand and the ground up glass vs the silicon. given time bacteria and UV will take care of the eva and the epoxy, and the silicone.

for what its worth.. NF3 might be the easiest chemical man can make if we need to release it into the atmosphere to prevent the next iceage.

Page 764 of 764 FirstFirst ... 264664714754761762763764