Living next to an (illegal) milling shop. What are the dangers? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living next to an (illegal) milling shop. What are the dangers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Living next to an (illegal) milling shop. What are the dangers?

No desperation or ill will here. There's still a chance that no action will be taken. This is not my field of expertise, and I merely wanted to get some opinions from experts who work in this field. Again, the main issue here is health concerns. I really appreciate all the information that has been provided, it has been very helpful!

Downloads
    Uploads

If there were health concerns from living next to a machine shop, wouldn't most of us machinists already be ill or deceased?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most disease does not show up until years later. Certain materials such as continued high levels of aluminum and titanium have been associated with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, for example. You wouldn't know until later in life. Exposure to certain materials and substances may also cause lesser problems such as fatigue, malaise etc., which may affect your quality of life.

In addition, the family in question is about to raise a child. Would you want a newborn to live right next to a milling shop while going through its critical development stage?

Downloads
    Uploads

Countless air studies have been done with the actual machine operator wearing the testing equipment. It may be classified as "nuisance dust", but if any valid health concerns arose, OSHA would be aware of it and enforce safety measures. I've never heard of retired machinists dropping like flies, but suspect Attorney's would have TV commercials urging everyone who'd driven by a machine shop to join their lawsuit if a valid health concern existed.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think stress seems to be the most relevant health condition here. Mostly stress about the what ifs, followed by noise.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So gfacer2 and deputydawg, neither one of you would have a problem raising your newborn son or daughter about 15 feet from a CNC machine that runs 12 hours a day, a deburring station, and various other grinding and refinishing stations, with an air outlet 3 feet from the house where your child is raised. Am I getting this right? You would both be OK with that? And your wives too?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hell no,

My wife would have called the city as soon as they started... I have a commercial space and always have. I personally think they should go find a commercial space - residential areas with tight surroundings are not the right spot for these operations. Rural properties are total different. But it would be a noise issue not a health issue. I'll be honest - she'd complain until we moved or it was shut down to both.

The CNC machine and grinding are sort of not relevant - its the noise and smell. Both can be addressed if the person wants but if not, have the city address it.

I'd dislike it (ie if I lived alone) but then I dislike my neighbour with 9 cars and the friends that park on the edge of the lawn and start up their ancient diesel truck before I wake up - whose smoke billows across my lawn and probably into my bedroom window in the summer.

Downloads
    Uploads

The health aspects are a non-issue, or you would've found them using Google. The noise would be an issue, but probably won't generate much in the way of Attorney's fees. Simply get the city involved. It sounds like he can afford to rent some commercial space, and then there'd be no concerns.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deputydawg View Post
    The health aspects are a non-issue, or you would've found them using Google. The noise would be an issue, but probably won't generate much in the way of Attorney's fees. Simply get the city involved. It sounds like he can afford to rent some commercial space, and then there'd be no concerns.
    You must be using a different Google than I am: Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease: after a century of controversy, is there a plausible link? - PubMed - NCBI

There's abundant information and studies on the effects of aluminum dust and other materials.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Attorney51 View Post
    You must be using a different Google than I am: Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease: after a century of controversy, is there a plausible link? - PubMed - NCBI

There's abundant information and studies on the effects of aluminum dust and other materials.
    Opposing side finds any aluminum foil or pop cans in the trash of your client and see how that goes. Its like polycarb water bottles - everyone freaks out about Bisphenal A but yet the soup tins with the same material goes unmolested.

Everyone here seems to have a theme: Talk to the guy, if that doesn't or hasn't or won't work go to the city. A simple noise complaint to shut it down or remedy the issues is a hell of a lot different than a hail mary on health effects.

Downloads
    Uploads

That paper appears to have been published 5 years ago. Perhaps there's not a plausible link. Why would beverages come in aluminum cans if there was a health risk? Perhaps the claims in the article are correct: "1) bioavailable Al cannot enter the brain in sufficient amounts to cause damage, 2) excess Al is efficiently excreted from the body."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the issue is particulate matter, i.e., the dust of aluminum is much more readily absorbed than drinking from an aluminum can. You would actually have to ingest aluminum to make a fair comparison to breathing in particulate matter.

Symptoms

Confusion
    Muscle weakness
    Bone pain, deformities, and fractures
    Seizures
    Speech problems
    Slow growth—in children

Complications may include:

Lung problems
    Nervous system problems causing difficulty with voluntary and involuntary actions
    Bone diseases
    Brain diseases and disorders
    Anemia
    Impaired iron absorption

Aluminum Toxicity Information - The Mount Sinai Hospital

This is a 2 minute Google search.

Adverse Health Effects of Oil Mist in Machine Tool Industries
    https://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsam...CH_258700.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Look - I'm going back to work and I suggest you do as well. Who cares what we think, our opinions and a nickel still won't get you to a dime. I'll just end it with: a finding of "the preponderance of the evidence" to support any health claims will be difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your first link does suggest possible health consequences from ingesting high levels of aluminum, but mentions seeing your doctor for the medication, deferoxamine mesylate, which may be given to help eliminate aluminum from your body. This substance works through a procedure known as chelation, which helps the body remove poisonous materials. Your 2nd link is from someone selling mist collectors, that would most likely be biased since they are trying to convince people that their product is needed. Half the people in my city are down wind from the numerous machine shops, with no observance of any abnormal health consequences.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Attorney51 View Post
    So gfacer2 and deputydawg, neither one of you would have a problem raising your newborn son or daughter about 15 feet from a CNC machine that runs 12 hours a day, a deburring station, and various other grinding and refinishing stations, with an air outlet 3 feet from the house where your child is raised. Am I getting this right? You would both be OK with that? And your wives too?
    This is my son he used to sleep in my workshop, while I worked the same machines as you have been talking about, he has never missed a day at school from any kind of sickness since day one, he now 15 ( even has his snack supply )

The machine shop is not going to affect the newborn in anyway, it may even help

Aluminum dust, do they actually get and can collect the dust in there house, that is related to this neighbour, there is something very wrong if this is happening

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Living next to an (illegal) milling shop. What are the dangers?-4years-old-jpg  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wtf?

This fool........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ambulance chasers make me weep for the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

your client window is 3 feet..
    however I just hardly visualize his bed is placed on the window sill...

just because pressured air coming from a hole it doesn't mean it dangerous..
    back to origins if you eat chicken then you produce odor... :-)

aluminum ""dust"" isn't exist... aluminum is not wood particle.. it is depositing very quickly...

from 79 to 90 or 91 I worked in machineshp with late..
    the material we worked with, Cr-NI-TI ...
    if that material heating up, then you have buildup in no second on your tool, and you break it..

but theres no dust cloud what you trying to say...

shops that really working heavy metal vapors, like chroming shops, they wont setup at a garage...

just because a mouse is grey, we wont believe you that's an elephant..

as I attended a class in 2000 ESL English as second language, after I listened you writing here, I wouldn't be scared to attending a ""attorney as second trade""" class

it just plainly unbelievable a highly educated one talking here..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If this is a lawyer posting this story I'd be surprised. The postings sound like an unhappy neighbor trying to make a buck. Look, we are all just trying to get by and in this day and age of offshoring, a lot of guys are starting garage based businesses. Most of them probably don't make enough money to support a commercial space but bring enough to at least pay the mortgage and feed the family. Since when have we become so intolerant of everybody around us? In my neighborhood home based businesses are allowed by the residential zoning classification, with some distinct stipulations. The guy running this shop is just trying to make a buck, other than the noise I doubt there are any real health concerns. Can't be any more irritating than the neighbor kids riding dirt bikes or something similar. Living in a society requires a certain level of understanding and it behooves us all to be more understanding of our neighbors. Remember, if you have the right to tell him what he can and can't do, that gives him the right to tell you what you can and can't do.

Downloads
    Uploads

for alzheimes myth

you need to find credible resources..
    people are talking in bar, and on street, they can not be consider credible resources, even they were doctors..

heres a couple of link, and hundreds more, NO theres no any connection between aluminum and Alzheimer..

Aluminum - is there a link to Alzheimer's disease? | Alzheimer Society of Canada

Controversial Claims About the Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association

these websites are nonprofit.. they don't sell nothing, they helping only people with Alzheimer..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123