junkyard windmill

Thread: junkyard windmill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default junkyard windmill

Heres a idea that at first sovnds crazy but the more i think about it the more I like it . This would work on a ridge line , whese a short tower would be enough to get into clean air .we have all seen saviouios rotors oil drums cut in half , offset , and mounted veritacally not aerodynamicly very efficiant but that is not important thay have good doller per watt , work well at low wind speeds , and are not critical in design ( Its hard to get it wrong ) . Now imagin the same idea but substute intermodal shipping containers for the oil drums , asume free labor ( Ie. a barn raising ) , Cor-ten construction , and good fatigue properties of steel in general , with regular maintance the life time should be good and doller per watt low.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: junkyard windmill

Been looking at containers and I think taking two containers removing the floor boards welding them togther facing oppsite directions and using some truck axel , wheel ,what not for the pivot with a flat belt rvnning around the wheel or just use the whole transaxel , There are a lot of home made farris wheels "Ruedo de Chicago" touring around central and south america that are built from old heavy duty trock parts like that .

Default Re: junkyard windmill

This would work on a ridge line , whese a short tower would be enough to get into clean air .we have all seen saviouios rotors oil drums cut in half , offset , and mounted veritacally not aerodynamicly very efficiant but that is not important thay have good doller per watt , work well at low wind speeds.