Engraving / Marking Gold-Plated Brass

Thread: Engraving / Marking Gold-Plated Brass

sveltecnc

Question Engraving / Marking Gold-Plated Brass

Hi all, brand new to metalworking and trying to help my wife with some jewelry products.

Our goal is to engrave or mark flat gold-plated brass pieces. I'm trying to find a low-cost, entry option that will allow us to do this at home.

From research, I understand that the two main ways of accomplishing this would either be with a CNC router (engraving) or with a laser and cermark (marking).

I'm trying to determine what the right option would be and what equipment would get us started.

On the CNC router side, it looks like people have used the 3020 or 6040 to do aluminum. Gold and brass are at a similar hardness level so am I safe to assume these could engrave that as well? If I went with a 3020 would I need to upgrade the spindle? Are there other recommended low-cost routers I should be looking at?

On the laser side, I'm wary of how marking works against gold plating. Would a K40 and Cermark work on gold-plated brass?

If this isn't the right subforum, let me know and I'll get it moved.

Thanks in advance!