Newbie Gravograph VX2 - what can the old machines do? [Newb Advice]

Thread: Gravograph VX2 - what can the old machines do? [Newb Advice]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gravograph VX2 - what can the old machines do? [Newb Advice]

Hello new friends,
    I work in a hardware store where part of my job - the most enjoyable part - is convincing an old Gravograph Unica machine to engrave brass plaques, name plates and such.
    This machine is a stalwart engraver but is limited in what it can do - I'd like to have some artistic/design freedom for the occasional project.
    I'm thinking of investing in a 1990 Gravograph VX2 machine ("working order but no hard drive"), and to retrofit it to work with windows/mach3, as it has a much larger working area - 650x490mm.
    I trust the brand name but I'm not certain it's right for me.

Specs for reference;
    Gravograph VX2

The first issue is cost; I wonder if the retrofit would become expensive - does anyone have an idea of how much extra one would spend for the retrofit?

The second issue is I want to engrave metal and etch intricate designs into layered plastic plates - which is the easy part for me - however I'm also interested in doing some woodworking projects.
    I'm hoping for a jack of all trades. The modern Gravograph IS-(7000) machines claim to do it all, how do these old machines match up - other than being slower and a noisier? for example;

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2517...-of-time-clock
    Is the VX2 an inappropriate CNC to create things such as this clock and similar slim inlaid ideas?
    - Would a more powerful spindle motor be required? Do I need a larger drill bit for wood milling than the rotary bits this machine is compatible with? Will it be able to carve a 3D impression of a design with the appropriate software? As you can see I'm new to woodworking

If you perceive that this isn't the machine for my needs, what would you reccomend as a multi-purpose CNC at around this size *on a budget*?
    (I spy the very cheap 3040 machines on ebay, although a bit smaller than I'd like, lightweight and not a name I trust, but might be versatile enough for my design ideas?)

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
    Thanks for your input.