Vision 1624 with series 1 controller

Thread: Vision 1624 with series 1 controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vision 1624 with series 1 controller

We have a number of engravers at my place of work, of which I'm the guy now responsible for keeping them running.

Currently, there's a vision 1624 (connected to a series 2 controller), and two dahlgren system 300s, on vision series 1 controllers. We had a spare series 1 controller, so the boss bought a 1624 off ebay to hook up to it.

The 'new' 1624 works fine - on the series 2 controller - so I assumed I could get it to work on the spare series 1 controller, if I swapped out the driver. It had a solenoid driver for the system 300 in it, and I swapped it out for a spare IM483 that I had, which should drive the z-motor, just fine, right?

So, I swap out the z-motor solenoid driver for the IM483, but the controller doesn't move Z at all. the Z belt is loose until I move X or Y then the stepper engages, but does not move. I've tried all the resolution settings on the dip switch, to no effect. I've also played around with the current setting DIP switch that's on the main board, but that also has no effect.

Anyone here have any experience with these and can point me in the right direction?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vision 1624 with series 1 controller

I would think the code for a pneumatic z would be different but otherwise I have no idea.

I did have a question about the dahlgren engraver. I'm redoing the controller on one and I've discovered it had no limit switches. Did you manually set a zero point with the knobs on the Steppers and then just set that as home? Just curious how they did it originally.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vision 1624 with series 1 controller

If I recall, the IM483 connects up rather directly to a circuit board, where Vision had pins sticking out of a circuit board directly into the screw connectors of the driver. so I assume that it is connected as correct as anyone could connect it.

I'm going to think that Vision must have had their hands in making those series one controllers work for the Dahlgren, and this meant different firmware. Unfortunately, you are not going to have any access to changing that, and Vision likely will not be of much help without a healthy reduction in the size of your wallet.

I retrofitted a 1624 with Flashcut some years back. It was nice to see that Vision used off the shelf motor drivers, as it made the conversion a snap compared to say, A NewHermes with proprietary drivers built into the middle of control boards. Once converted, a person had FULL control over every aspect of that machine, and I was able to get it to run much faster than original.

Of course, Flashcut is G-code only, and in your environment, your probably living with all the restrictiveness of HPGL. I'd begin a plan to retrofit all of those machines to newer controls, and if you must retain HPGL so you do not have to have parallel code for the same jobs, a little internet searching will turn up some very modern, affordable USB based controls that would be super easy to retrofit and offer HPGL and G-code.

Good luck !

Chris L