Broken Gravograph VXM

Thread: Broken Gravograph VXM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Broken Gravograph VXM

Hi all

I have a Gravograph VXM SERIAL NUMBER S1:00591, that is broken.
    It seems to be the power supply is intermittent and when it does work for a while the floppys wont read correctly and there are kind of burn marks on the screen where it looks as if it had been maybe left on for hours or days at a time.
    I would like to repair this unit and contacted Gravograph already but I was told that the parts needed were obsolete as it was usch an early model.
    Does anyone know where I could get a used working unit, or one with something else wrong with it but the parts that I need intact?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Broken Gravograph VXM

New Hermes/GravoGraph machines generally had pretty decent hardware. Frankly, I'd remove whatever is necessary in order to first slide each axis thru its full travel, listening and feeling for the condition of the linear rails and bearings. If they turn out to be decent, I'd scrap everything but the motors and rewire it with a new control pushing brand new motor drivers. NOTHING they had for electronics is really worth saving. It was all proprietary, all completely lame by today's standards, and was about as ergonomic to use as, well, a vintage garbage CNC control. Things have changed so, so much !

Your options are to pick and choose individual components.... motor drivers, power supply, control software, or find someone with a "plug and play" package. The only really decent plug and play package I would recommend comes from Flashcut CNC. If you purchased a plug and play system from them with motors and all, you likely could have it converted in half a day, and, be running state of the art software to boot !

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, even the later software was garbage and anything from them was $$$$.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just finished retrofitting a Gravograph VX2 with new drivers and a 1.5 kW spindle running on Mach3. I agree, get rid of the Gravograph electronics but the motors, linear bearings etc are good quality
    Broken Gravograph VXM-image-jpg

Last edited by russhaz; 10-03-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by russhaz View Post
    I have just finished retrofitting a Gravograph VX2 with new drivers and a 1.5 kW spindle running on Mach3. I agree, get rid of the Gravograph electronics but the motors, linear bearings etc are good quality
    Broken Gravograph VXM-image-jpg
    Great retrofitting. I have two Gravograph that could need spindle change. Could you post more pictures of spindle holder. Maybe some drawings if you have?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nebojsa View Post
    Great retrofitting. I have two Gravograph that could need spindle change. Could you post more pictures of spindle holder. Maybe some drawings if you have?
    I will upload some more photos. I used the existing rails and ballscrew. The bearing blocks were from CNC and Cupcakes online store. The z axis motor was struggling with the weight of the new spindle so I upgraded that and also swapped the small pulley from the ballscrew with the large pulley from the motor.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Gravograph VXM-img_6197-jpg   Broken Gravograph VXM-img_6192-jpg   Broken Gravograph VXM-img_6195-jpg   Broken Gravograph VXM-img_6194-jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by russhaz; 12-05-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by russhaz View Post
    I will upload some more photos. I used the existing rails and ballscrew. The bearing blocks were from CNC and Cupcakes online store. The z axis motor was struggling with the weight of the new spindle so I upgraded that and also swapped the small pulley from the ballscrew with the large pulley from the motor.
    Very inspiring, great job.
    Thank you for sharing with the rest of the world
    I have Gravograph IS700 and Gravograph IS800, both could need retrofitting like this since I experience lack of power on some jobs.
    I was just wondering which step motor have you use?
    I had to change Z axis motor on IS800 because loss of steps.
    This was original, I guess you had the same one:
    Broken Gravograph VXM-uploadfromtaptalk1449396456376-jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it on EBay

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Gravograph VXM-image-jpeg  

I have a gravograph vx controller monitor and keyboard still in mint condition if you are still looking to purchase one

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for posting to an old thread! For an affordable way to modernize a Gravograph VXM, check out https://inkoovintagecomputing.wordpress.com/2018/02/06/controlling-gravograph-vxm-with-arduino/

The original control computer is replaced with an Arduino running Grbl, so this can be controlled with g-code from a PC via USB. The original monitor and keyboard are not needed anymore after this. Other electronic components are original (motor control, steppers etc.), just the internal control computer is replaced with an Arduino. This modification applies only to Gravograph VXM (single unit with integrated control computer), VX with a separate control computer may have different electronics. Probably something similar is possible with VX as well, but may require inspecting the signals with a logic analyzer if it has a different wiring scheme.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmoses23 View Post
    I have a gravograph vx controller monitor and keyboard still in mint condition if you are still looking to purchase one
    Hi Michael just wondering if you still have the monitor available? If so, which country are you in please?