Vision Engraver help / Repair needed

Thread: Vision Engraver help / Repair needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vision Engraver help / Repair needed

I have a really old phoenix 24x24 engraver. It uses a series 1 serial controller. It basically crapped itself. Some of the little electronic "cans" attached to one of the boards puked white stuff all over the board.
    I am mechanical, electrons are not my thing. I need to know if there is anywhere I can possible send this thing off to to get it repaired. Vision just wants to sell me a $6k series 4 controller. I don't need that....
    My series 1 with pro7 worked just fine....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vision Engraver help / Repair needed

Ok no info..... what about retrofitting it with something different as far as controls? The table worked great before the controller crapped out.

I can rebuild about anything mechanical/hydraulic but electronics are not my cup of tea
    I really need some help on this!

Downloads
    Uploads

Toybreaker,
    I also have a vision engraver with early model controler, although it is a Vision Max engraver, not the 24 by 24 flatbed. Mine has the 4th axis rotary assembly. I have not used it yet because I don't have the software for it. And... when I called Vision, they wanted to sell me the latest software for $$$$$. My plan.... is to gut the controller except for the 4 motor drivers and spindle control and use a different power supply, rather than the one on the main board. So..... when I get around to doing that, I will have a main board that is not needed. I will be running mine with LinuxCNC which should work just fine.

What you described that happened to your board is that the capacitors died..... I have seen this happen many many times in my 40+ years in electronics. Sometimes they just get old and die, sometimes it is because of another part (usually rectifier) going bad that causes it. When they blow like that, it sometimes makes it difficult to determin what the value of the capacitors are.

Take a picture or two of your board with a close up of the dammaged area and post here. I can look on my board if they are similar enough, and determin the parts most likely needed to be replaced and give you that info.

I'm not sure exactly which series controller I have, I think it may be a series 3. I'll determin that and let you know. After I modify mine, you would be welcome to the main board for the cost of shipping. If the boards are the same, then you could probably just switch the firmware chips (Eprom) and make it work for your machine.

If you want to retrofit the control like I am going to do, I'll gladly post a step by step with photos and diagrams here to help with that.

Here is a link to a pic of and engraver like mine... http://www.engraversjournal.com/arti...Newringbig.jpg

Is this what yours looks like ? http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...Ye9m5uGbSw.jpg

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Toybreaker,

I checked and my controller is a version 2. It may be possible to make it work for you, not sure. Post some pics of your board and I'll compare.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vger View Post
    Toybreaker,
    I also have a vision engraver with early model controler, although it is a Vision Max engraver, not the 24 by 24 flatbed. Mine has the 4th axis rotary assembly. I have not used it yet because I don't have the software for it. And... when I called Vision, they wanted to sell me the latest software for $$$$$. My plan.... is to gut the controller except for the 4 motor drivers and spindle control and use a different power supply, rather than the one on the main board. So..... when I get around to doing that, I will have a main board that is not needed. I will be running mine with LinuxCNC which should work just fine.

What you described that happened to your board is that the capacitors died..... I have seen this happen many many times in my 40+ years in electronics. Sometimes they just get old and die, sometimes it is because of another part (usually rectifier) going bad that causes it. When they blow like that, it sometimes makes it difficult to determin what the value of the capacitors are.

Take a picture or two of your board with a close up of the dammaged area and post here. I can look on my board if they are similar enough, and determin the parts most likely needed to be replaced and give you that info.

I'm not sure exactly which series controller I have, I think it may be a series 3. I'll determin that and let you know. After I modify mine, you would be welcome to the main board for the cost of shipping. If the boards are the same, then you could probably just switch the firmware chips (Eprom) and make it work for your machine.

If you want to retrofit the control like I am going to do, I'll gladly post a step by step with photos and diagrams here to help with that.

Here is a link to a pic of and engraver like mine... http://www.engraversjournal.com/arti...Newringbig.jpg

Is this what yours looks like ? http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...Ye9m5uGbSw.jpg

Steve
    Vger, I am not sure this the original poster took you up on your offer. But I am in the same position and I had a series 2 controller that went missing when moved shops! Is your controller still available?