Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?

Thread: Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?

I have tried several different bits but have yet to find one that does a good job engraving on ceramic tile. Any place to buy good bits for this appcation?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody been able to answer this? I would also like to know what type of bit to use for Ceramic tiles? And, would cooling be necessary? I tried a cheap diamond dusted bit, but basically melted that, and it barely cut for about an inch... :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Engraving on fired ceramic tiles is not something people normally do. There's a lot of variability in them, so a tool that might work well on a low-fired unglazed tile could totally melt down on high-fired glazed stoneware or porcelain. It would also compromise the functionality of the tile by breaking up the smooth surface. Why do you need to do this? Wouldn't it be better to start with unfired tiles and glaze them afterwards? If you really need to engrave on fired tiles for some reason, what sort of tiles are they? How deep are you trying to cut? What line thicknesses are you trying to achieve?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Downloads
    Uploads

glazed tiles might don't work..
    as awerby pointed out they are glasslike, hard and very brittle.. with a diamond wheel you can make groves.. elongated groves .. there are some resinbond diamond grinders, pointed 90-120 deg but with them it keeps forever..

unglazed tiles can be made like marble or other hard stones.. its called pcd or polycristalldiamond tool.. artificial diamond..

Downloads
    Uploads

you can find from 20-30 up to 500 or more..

they are expenses, but for stone they are the only tool..

Pcd Engraving Bits, Pcd Engraving Bits Products, Pcd Engraving Bits Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com
    most seller sell 10-20 at time only.. some of them sell invidually..

brands like amana or onsrud also have pcd tool they start somewhere 200-300 each tool..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Basically, the answer here is DON'T. I wanted to scribe lines for an Art Project I had in mind. I melted a few diamond bits and also one Tungsten Carbide bit. I'll change my target media to Wood or Soft Soapstone. Thanks for the advise.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just found a store for invidual engravingbits..
    yet low priced..

2pcs 6mm 90D Conical Flat PCD Carving Bits, Stone Engraving Bits on Hard Granite,Jade,Brick

2 pcs bit is 51 ... I don't know how much the actual shipping but this is a very good price for pcd bit..

long time we used pcd in automotive shop to finishing pistons.. by heat the pcd insert separated,,, so be careful to using..
    you can give a try yet.. who knows it might works..

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?

link here, PCD for stones, and for wood work, woodworking toos are here,

Last edited by frankleng; 03-21-2015 at 03:41 AM.
    CNC router engraving tools, carving bits
    www.tayoutec.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toodark View Post
    I have tried several different bits but have yet to find one that does a good job engraving on ceramic tile. Any place to buy good bits for this appcation?
    I am glad I didn’t read this thread before trying. I used a carbide drill spinning at 3000K rmp. I fed at 1”/min and plunged at .5” /min. I was able to cut two ceramic tiles and the cutter is still sharp.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?-546fbc8d-3099-48e2-a0e2-082476e4af82-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best bit for engraving on ceramic tile?

Quote Originally Posted by Colinsk View Post
    I am glad I didn’t read this thread before trying. I used a carbide drill spinning at 3000K rmp. I fed at 1”/min and plunged at .5” /min. I was able to cut two ceramic tiles and the cutter is still sharp.

Looks like you found the right combination. Slow spindle speed and reasonable feed. Guessing you did these on a mill rather than a router.

I've done glass on a mill, about the same conditions.