Looking to get my foot in the door!

Thread: Looking to get my foot in the door!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking to get my foot in the door!

Hey Everyone,

I thought maybe this was the best place to post this. I do not have any formal machining experience i.e. I have not gone to school for it. I have owned a small lathe for 5 or 6 years and a mini mill for 3 or 4. I converted the mill to CNC last fall. Everything I have learned I have learned myself either through trial and error or gathering info off the internet from forums like this one. I have a small anodizing set up in my shop and I make parts for small model airplane engines and other odds and ends type stuff. With that said I am very eager to get my foot into a real shop door. I have come across alot of jobs but they all are asking for a 2 yr degree or other "real" shop experience of which I have none. So my question is would anyone be in the Charlotte NC area that was looking for someone at the entry level type position? I would be more than happy to sweep floors, clean machines type of job etc. just to have a chance to be able find a starting place. If anyone has any word on any such job I would love to hear about them.

Take care,
    Tim

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default job

I do not know of any jobs, but you could try to work for a temp. agency as a machinist trainny. Maybe this could get you in the door.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is probably too late this year for this idea to work but keep it in mind.

Go around visiting machine shops and say you are looking for some experience and wondered if they needed somebody short term to replace regular employees on vacation.

I did this a number of years ago when I needed some extra income. I specifically asked for second or third shift work and the first place I visited took me on for something like six weeks which was all I needed.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for work

We are a small shop located in Gastonia, NC. We have had several part-time employees over the years work for us. Our business is expanding and we are in need of full-time help. We have 2 Haas CNC mills, 1 Haas SL 20 lathe, a proto-trak mill and an EZ path lathe. Reply if you are still interested. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good morning harley,

I just sent you a PM.

Take care,
    Tim