Twin Cities, MN CNC Jobs

Thread: Twin Cities, MN CNC Jobs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Twin Cities, MN CNC Jobs

Hello all. It seems right now there is a HUGE amount of cnc jobs here in the Twin Cities, Mn. Were I work we have openings for operator, setup and programmer. 1st and 2nd shift. We just cannot get anyone. So, with that being said, does anyone have any thoughts whay these companies cannot fill these positions? Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you aren't paying enough? Or maybe all of the CNC folks in the Twin Cities are deliriously happy at their present jobs? Just a couple ideas.

If you need any overflow work done, my shop (GreatRiverMachineWorks.com) is located in Saint Louis Park, MN, and we would love to do any work you need.

Downloads
    Uploads

can i join with any company for cnc operator, programmer? this is my cv: asfarcv.tk b

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    Hello all. It seems right now there is a HUGE amount of cnc jobs here in the Twin Cities, Mn. Were I work we have openings for operator, setup and programmer. 1st and 2nd shift. We just cannot get anyone. So, with that being said, does anyone have any thoughts whay these companies cannot fill these positions? Thanks.
    I actually just posted this in another thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/846111-post10.html

Tough finding good people in Ohio too. I think that the smart ones packed up and decided to move on to other careers. They keep extending unemployment benefits which means I have a stack of resumes with no one who really wants to work. They'd rather get paid to sit at home watching TV. When the benefits finally run out, do I really want that kind of person working for me? Not really.

I have way more work than I can handle at the moment and I too have days when I wonder if it's time to move on. Slim margins and even the smallest of customers are LLCs that can close down shop at any moment and stick you with unpaid invoices. Strange times man. Strange times.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with the "sitting at home" part. I am not the owner or manager. But really wondering about this topic. I just want the company to find some talent. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is the same across the country. In florida we are having the same problem.

Good luck finding employees. They did an article in the NYTIMES.com about this where some company in OHIO is making organized courses to hire well they have a retention rate of about 20%.

Some of the comments from the "drop out" are "I could make more money truck driving" or "its boring as hell sitting in front of a machine all day"

Try and find the article.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish we had the same problem here in TN that you have in MN. If only....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by swingwing205 View Post
    I wish we had the same problem here in TN that you have in MN. If only....
    Is it safe to say you wish your area had more cnc openings? I was looking around the shop today. We are a five year old company, in a brand new building with 15 high end cnc machines ( all same brand ). Just cannot find anyone. The front office says now they are getting no replies to the ads. CRAZY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    Is it safe to say you wish your area had more cnc openings? I was looking around the shop today. We are a five year old company, in a brand new building with 15 high end cnc machines ( all same brand ). Just cannot find anyone. The front office says now they are getting no replies to the ads. CRAZY!
    Are you a job shop or have a product line?

Also, just curious what is your pay scale like?

Also, from what I hear the utah area hasn't suffered the unemployment like the rest of the country.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you a job shop or have a product line?
    Job shop with dedicated customers that keep 2 of 5 vertical pallet changing machines busy day and night. Operators here would be a huge help. We have a 3 pallet horizontal and a 2 pallet horizontal that needs a programmer / set up person. I have too much to do right now to make pallets for these. 2 4 axis lathes with 12 foot bar feed, two chucker lathes, a 2 axis with gantry that needs someone to take this machine on. 2 new turn-mills with bar feed. Just got a tool vending machine for automated tool ordering. A tool and cutter grinding area and 2 ABB IRB4400 robots. We need people bad. We have a new cad/cam system that also needs a quarterback.

Also, just curious what is your pay scale like?
    Well, I am not able to really say anything here. I only know what I make. But I will say that I have not been in a shop in about 7 years, as I have been a distributor AE. Maybe a vague comment, but it should shed some light on wages. I will also say that the owner has put an ad on a local job board that runs head to head with everyone else in the area based on job description.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the Houston, TX area. I am on furlough awaiting layoff due to the NASA budget cuts, and the end of the shuttle program. I have been out looking for a career change for 2 months. I have turned down two jobs already simply because they offered either no insureance, or insureance that was over $1000/mo for a family. My wife cannot work for medical reasons, so I HAVE to find a job with good insureance. I am more willing to negotiate on hourly pay than the insureance issue. But honestly, most of the shops here are hireing button pushers, and not machinists. Which means the pay scale is down close to $12-14 per hour or less. In a single income home with 3 kids, I simply cannot get by on that. I am willing to relocate pretty much anywhere, but it seems employers are not interested in anyone who is not local. So the hunt continues for me, as I contemplate going back to school for my engineering degree once I do find my next job. This field has become very shaky to me, as it seems the industry is now only looking for low pay button pushers rather than machinists.