Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105

Figured I'd check in with my new family! Just purchased an Emco PC Turn 15. Just could not swing purchasing a Tormach Slant Pro 15 right now. I have their PCNC 1100/3 mill with all the goodies. Needed a good lathe to round out my equipment addiction! This hobby keeps getting more expensive. I hate buying used unless I can go touch it but for the price I figured I'd still be good even if I have to gut it and put in servo motors running on PathPilot.

So, now for my first question..... Where do I find manuals (both user and service manuals) for this machine?

More to come in the coming weeks!

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Figured I'd check in with my new family! Just purchased an Emco PC Turn 15. Just could not swing purchasing a Tormach Slant Pro 15 right now. I have their PCNC 1100/3 mill with all the goodies. Needed a good lathe to round out my equipment addiction! This hobby keeps getting more expensive. I hate buying used unless I can go touch it but for the price I figured I'd still be good even if I have to gut it and put in servo motors running on PathPilot.

So, now for my first question..... Where do I find manuals (both user and service manuals) for this machine?
    I have a PC120, my base cabinet was different to your one, I have changed it to AC servos not running yet, still working on the base, chopped 34" off the end, and it will look similar to your machine when done

I have the PC120 manuals, most parts are the same I think, so could put a set of these together, did you get the computer and software with it, or does your machine have the control built in to the cabinet

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mactec54,

What size motor mounts on your PC120?

Any help you can give me on the manuals would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mactec54,

What size motor mounts on your PC120?

Any help you can give me on the manuals would be appreciated.
    I'm not sure of the size, I just made new mounts to suit to servo motors,and with the same mounting holes as the stepper mounts had, I may have some drawings some were, used the same timing pulleys and belts, 400w Yaskawa just fit, Dmm will also fit

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

More to come in the coming weeks!

Found these. The motors are 3 phase steppers. See first document;

http://www.amsarg.com.ar/Productos/E...c_ct105_en.pdf

http://www.emco-world.com/uploads/tx...an0TC_EN_H.pdf
    http://www.emco-world.com/uploads/tx..._Turn_En_F.pdf

http://www.festo-didactic.com/ov3/me...urn_105_en.pdf
    http://www.emco-world.com/uploads/tx..._EN_1829_C.pdf

Iron-Man

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Team,
    Just got the lathe unloaded (pictures to follow) - was kind of interesting at one point.

Machine was in great shape however the electrical is needing to be traced wire by wire due to several wires undone or lose. I do not want to put power to it until I have the wiring vetted.

So, where do I go to get a full wiring schematic?

Many, many more questions to follow I'm sure!

Downloads
    Uploads

Emco sent me clean manuals for the PC Turn 105 (attached). I have been blown away by their responsiveness to my questions!!!

Ok Iron Man, Do we gut her and add servos and Tormach PathPilot or do we try CPR?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105-pc-turn105_el_2002-5-pdf   Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105-a7k_v00-pdf   Looks Like I'm a New Owner of a Emco PC Turn 105-pcturn105_en_beschr_a-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Emco sent me clean manuals for the PC Turn 105 (attached). I have been blown away by their responsiveness to my questions!!!

Ok Iron Man, Do we gut her and add servos and Tormach PathPilot or do we try CPR?
    If it can run in its current mode, then it is probably best to see what works and what does not. If not, and you really want PathPilot, then it should be refitted. Servos would place this machine in a superior class!! The steppers need 3 phase drivers. Do you know what size motors, nema 34 or metric?

Iron-Man

Did you inspect this machine before buying? They were asking quite a bit for it and didn't seem to know if it ran or not. Emco electrical docs should get you through checking existing wiring. I would try to get the original control working as it will be the least painful. The servos are Berger Lahr VRDM3910 which are a metric size, but they mount to plates which are easily replaced. They claim 1.5um resolution, which is better than the older 5 phase stepper machines.

Does WinNC recognize the machine when you open it? The machine should be powered up prior to opening WinNC. A lot of stuff doesn't enable until after WinNC connects to the machine controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Pilot View Post
    Did you inspect this machine before buying? They were asking quite a bit for it and didn't seem to know if it ran or not. Emco electrical docs should get you through checking existing wiring. I would try to get the original control working as it will be the least painful. The servos are Berger Lahr VRDM3910 which are a metric size, but they mount to plates which are easily replaced. They claim 1.5um resolution, which is better than the older 5 phase stepper machines.

Does WinNC recognize the machine when you open it? The machine should be powered up prior to opening WinNC. A lot of stuff doesn't enable until after WinNC connects to the machine controller.
    Hey Diesel Pilot,
    No, I did not inspect the machine. Basically I could tell from the pics that it had not been run hard in production. I was looking for a good foundation machine to build on even if the electrical was shot. Basically I want to have a machine I can run Tormach PathPilot from.

Launch WinNC in the GE Fanuc Series 21 and I get no alarms that it cannot see the machine. If I unplug one of the com cables I get warnings. So, my assumption is that the machine is visible. However, I get nothing when trying to get it to reference.

Do you have experience with this type (or similar) Emco? She's in interesting machine on the boot up sequence which is where I think I'm going wrong.

I have a PC Mill125. I switch on the machine, boot the PC, and open WinNC. Is ESTOP showing on the fanuc screen? Axis drives don't turn on until Aux On is pushed. I guess this is Ctrl+8 if you don't have a control panel. I also have a retrofit in progress on an old Compact 6, which is essentially the same lathe. Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

How do I know if the Estop is showing or not. I did not see this shown....

On your lathe project - do you have a link to follow?

Downloads
    Uploads

I also just purchased one of the control panels. Seemed like it would get me running maybe a little quicker but I don't know now.

Emco GE Fanuc Series 21 Keyboard USB 0120C5 | eBay

You can do everything from the keyboard, although I only use the panel. Does Ctrl+8 wake up the drives, or do anything at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ctrl+8 does nothing. I even tried a different keyboard thinking that was the issue. I can get nothing to move or even act like they are talking...

Downloads
    Uploads

QUOTE=smokediver576;1831056]Ctrl+8 does nothing. I even tried a different keyboard thinking that was the issue. I can get nothing to move or even act like they are talking...[/QUOTE]

Go over your manual, these machine have safety switches everywhere, nothing will happen if anyone of them is not set, there is an override, I think for the door , but the door needs to be closed also, if the override has not been set, Check the electrical cabinet,some of them have a switch so when you take the panel off, nothing will happen, unless you override the switch, nothing will happen, do you have a key switch on the front of the machine this needs to be in the right position also, this is just some things to check,does your machine need an Air supply some do, if you have the air operated chuck & Tailstock, and door you will need the air on for anything to run

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec54. Worked on it last night until about 10:30pm. Traced damn near every wire. The problem is that the Emco electrical manual is kind of 50/50 on the German to English translation. Also an issue is that on some connectors, the wiring schematic shows two wires but the actual connector has six......

This is a pretty basic machine. No air, no automated chuck or tail stock. I think I'm going to trace and mark every wire as it comes into the electronics cabinet. At least this will be a start on true troubleshooting. Then I'm going to try an make heads or tails out of the guts of the cabinet. The seller had unbolted the door lock so they could get inside the machine for pictures. I've opened up the magnetic door switch and the only way I can get it to release the pin is to manually flip the 24v solenoid up. When I look into the cabinet and reconnect the pin you hear the relays click in an a bunch of the boards turn back to green leds.

Does anyone have a suggestion for info on converting this systems (with the steppers) to LunixCNC/PathPilot? I know I'd need a new controller computer and a Mesa card. Oh and a boatload of tech support help to guide me through the process. Seems a shame to not use some of the electronics since the unit shows almost no signs of wear.

The journey continues!

The door switch could be an issue. The listing I saw for this machine said they removed the door lock? It won't run without it. The screen should tell you though "initialize door". Mine has the pneumatic door so it asks to initialize the door (run the door up and down) to check it's function and state before it will reference ask you to turn on the drive (Ctrl+8). What should happen is the lube pump should cycle, drives should turn on, and the steppers should sing.

After that it should ask to reference, but will jog in jog mode if necessary.

To reference the key must be in automatic and machine in reference.

So....

Power up and open WinNC.
    Key to auto (If the key is set to setup, the screen should say "special mode active")
    Door shut (if the door is open the screen should say "machine door open")
    Turn on drives
    Now you should be able to reference.

With the key on setup you should be able to jog using the consent button with the door open, but not turn on the spindle or cycle the turret. With the door shut key in auto or setup you can jog, and run the spindle and turret.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Greg,

Basically the seller just unbolted the tab from the sliding door and left it in the door switch. The only way I can get the tab out (to open/close the door) is to manually depress the 24v plunger inside the lock. This allows me to pull the tab out and reinsert it into the lock. Shouldn't the magnetic switch open so that I can pull the tab out? Basically, what triggers the lock to "unlock" so that I can open the door?

On the key (min is missing the key but someone drilled out the lock and you can turn it from left (contacts open) to right (contacts closed). What position is what - auto v/s setup?

As far as any feedback/notes on the screen I get nothing like "initialize door". I'm running in the Fanuc 21 T mode. If I unplug the serial cables I get a warning so that lets me know there is some communications going on.....

Thanks so much for the help! I just want to get this thing moving so that I feel I'm making some sort of progress. That way I can test the electronics and see if I want to upgrade or run her as is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well.... after 20+ hours beating my head against a wall, tracing wires back one by one and doing everything other than calling in a psychic I've decided to gut the electrical system and go with servos and Tormachs PathPilot to run it. Kind of feel bad about gutting it since the thing has hardly been used but this way I have controls that are similar to my PCNC 1100/3 mill and the lathe will fly with servos.

Iron Man and I'll keep a photo/tech log and post something up that documents our process.

Later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast