Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

I'm at work right now so I'll check it out tonite . Just so I have it straight , this is what I've been doing --- I start up linuxcnc , pick lathe which puts the linuxcnc folder into the home directory , then I copy the 7 files and drop them into the sim folder which is in the home/linuxcnc/config/sim . It sounds like it's exactly what you've just described
    I've never really moved files around before and I've always just modified what was there to suite what I was working with , (thats if I remember correctly)
    I appreciate your help . It had me going for quite a long time last nite and I pulled the pin at 3am considering I needed to wake up at 5:30

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...igs/Latest.zip

Here is a zip of the 2 configs. Then Drop the 2 directorys in the /linuxcnc/configs folder (Fullstep and Half-fullstepMorph)

(still have to edit the hal files.. I didn't get around to fixing that)

Downloads
    Uploads

Also for the config to work the switches on the interface board need to be off/down. That is what all my machines came setup as.

http://electronicsam.com/images/emco...ceanddrive.JPG

Top small board (4 switches)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll keep the switches in mind , I'll get er tested here fairly shortly

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive got the linuxcnc working in full step at this point on the pc , but when i turn the power on the lathe then the on button in the software goes dim and stays dim till i power the lathe off . Not sure whats happening but the lathe is sending something bad out .
    I'm wondering if the estop button is bad . When i plug the lathe in (without pc connected) and turn the spindle switch - it won't stay in the on position . I thought that there was maybe something tripping it back to off as a fail safe since there was no pc signal , but now I'm wondering if the estop is cooked . Or I'm way off base and the spindle switch is cooked and theres a problem in the electronics causing the software to act as it is
    someone has had the back off of this thing a few times by the looks of things so who knows , it may be cooked though everything looks as it should

Downloads
    Uploads

got it
    swapped the # in the hal file for the estop and its a movin

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any pictures of the back? There is a plug maybe labled chip guard. Is anything plugged into it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    got it
    swapped the # in the hal file for the estop and its a movin
    Cool!

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the spindle turn on? Swapping those lines in the hal makes me think your estop loop isn't right in the lathe. Again - check the plug labled chip guard - if you do have the chip guard there should be a cable plugged in. If not there should be a cheater plug that loops the signal back in.

Downloads
    Uploads

thats what that freaking wire was for , it's been hanging all along and i thought that it may be for a tool changer or something of the sort . Unfortunately thats not the cause , i used the cheater plug . i set the estop back in the hal , the estop in the software is once again pressed and the spindle switch is still the same . I'm much closer though and the axis are running great

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure if I'll figure out the switch for the spindle and if not then I'll cheat it one way or another . Otherwise the little lathe works awesome , I left the set rapids as were and it moves along great at 42ipm .
    I bought this thing more or less blindly and I expected to probably strip it down . This saved a lot of time and hardware and I think this is going to work out great . Thanks a bunch for your help and the work you shared , this is awesome !!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

that will help . I followed the wire that was hanging and I realized that it wasn't for the chip guard switch but that it is for the spindle encoder . I just need to hack the chip guard wiring

Downloads
    Uploads

one of ours sockets has short wires jumpered in...

Looks like jumper pins 7 to 5 and 1 to 3 (from the schematic)

- - - Updated - - -

also - you should be able to spin the spindle and see the rpm blip up on the screen. (if the lathe is powered up)

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

that jump did it . I swapped the # back around in the hal file and all is perfect and working as it should . Spindle switch works fine

I am seeing the spindle speed up on the screen . This was actually what provoked me to track that wire to its source , (which was a short distance away ) , because last nite I wasn't seeing the rpm registering on the screen .
    One thing that I noticed was that the rpm on the screen was very jumpy , it fluctuated in between the 2 hundreds into the 7 hundreds . I put my hand tach to it and it's solid at 1224 rpm . I gave a slight cleaning to the disc and the encoder and it's much better . There is a slight fluctuation which is maybe 10 rpm but a solid cleaning will do the job .

This is just too cool , and this lil lathe seems pretty decent . Hopefully my tooling will arrive this week so I can go at it over the weekend .
    I'm curious if you've taken the time to add home switches to yours .

Downloads
    Uploads

I have not added home switches yet.. But it is on the to-do list. We have 2 non working cnc versions that I will probably convert first using the existing steppers/drives and spindle controller. Those will get home switches for sure.

Glad it is coming together. almost painless

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    almost painless
    I'd say it was painless , couple of hiccups but pretty much painless . You've made it really easy to get one of these ol lathes running without butchery . I haven't looked too far as to where I can go with connecting switches . My computer doesnt have expansion slots to add another port and bob . Its got enough oomph to it but nothing for expansion . I've been toying with the idea of double switching that jumper , home switch opens that loop and a secondary finger button closes the loop so that I can jog .1 off the switch then set it as home position . Not a clean way of doing things but I've got to add my butchery somehow

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems it is only using 3 of the 5 inputs..

Downloads
    Uploads

yeah , your right , hmm I'll have to check it out . That would be easy

Downloads
    Uploads

after looking at the schematic again , there are actually a lot of open pins . I've got a db splitter on the way now . I can spice in one of my bobs and add a number of things , switches and a light coolant pump to start with . A splash guard for the spindle motor is a must do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast