Converting F1P-CNC

Thread: Converting F1P-CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting F1P-CNC

There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on the Emco board, I was hoping for a little more lively discussion.

I've got a TM02 control for a F1P-CNC, is it even worth trying to get the original controls & display operational or just scrap them on ebay and buy new steppers and drivers and put my efforts into controlling the spindle and cleaning up the iron? It appears I have a dying CRT screen or video board, a bad stepper driver board, missing MSD, and who knows what else just to get the machine running. I can't manually jog any axis or turn the spindle on/off so I'm left with some manual options for testing functionality.

Is the power supply and or spindle control board worth salvaging for operating the spindle?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Converting F1P-CNC

Get some generic driver boards and go the Mach 3 route, it is brilliant.

Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V30 Mill 3 axis Pro, Bricscad V14 and MOI V3 with CNC-Step High Z 1000S and Wabeco CC-F1210

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turns out the stepper driver boards are working, but there's an overload somewhere. Do you recommend something for the spindle control board? Anyone know if the spindle control board in the TM02 can be used and interfaced with Mach3/4?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly_A View Post
    Turns out the stepper driver boards are working, but there's an overload somewhere. Do you recommend something for the spindle control board? Anyone know if the spindle control board in the TM02 can be used and interfaced with Mach3/4?
    I dont know the answer to your specific question, but what I did mean was to do away with all of the EMCO electronics and replace with modern gear.

I had an F1 CNC and wish i had just junked the old electronics and replaced with modern, as the mill was in superb mechanical condition.

Barrie

Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V30 Mill 3 axis Pro, Bricscad V14 and MOI V3 with CNC-Step High Z 1000S and Wabeco CC-F1210

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know that's what you meant, and it's a solid recommendation without any specifics. I think your suggestion is the general consensus, but spindle control in Mach3/4 is where I'm looking for options.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly_A View Post
    I know that's what you meant, and it's a solid recommendation without any specifics. I think your suggestion is the general consensus, but spindle control in Mach3/4 is where I'm looking for options.
    What type of motor does the F1P have? I am facing a similar issue with a router running on Mach 3, I can work with it because the spindle is HF and has a control box where you can manually control the spindle but it is a pain in the backside.

I am looking into it and will share.

Regards

B.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's a DC 550w @ 90V motor that's capable of up to 150-4000rpm, and controlled via a board on the TM02. The controller also can control the rotation between clockwise and counter-clockwise for threading applications. (at least that's what the controller button layout suggests)