Help with Wireless Solution for Linux EMC box

Thread: Help with Wireless Solution for Linux EMC box

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with Wireless Solution for Linux EMC box

I've got Ubuntu Lucid and EMC on an old Dell Optiplex for my machine controller. I've used it successfully to test my drivers and motors, run g code from desk engrave and ACE converter, and have it connected via ethernet cable to my DLink wireless router.

I need to take this box out to the garage (where the machine build and operation is). No ethernet connection but I get a strong wireless signal with my Toshiba laptop. I'd really like to have any internet connection on this machine during set up and what not.

I bought a Wireless USB adapter that claimed Windows, Mac, and Linux comapatibility. Powerlink device with a Ralink 3070 chipset. I had already done the ndiswrapper install in case i needed to use windows drivers for this adapter to work. The adapter arrived (mail) and to my dismay the Linux option is a MAKEFILE-compile your own driver?? way over my head, I'm very new to Linux. To top it off there is no valid .inf file to open with ndiswrapper. Found some solutions online like this Build RT3070 kernel module on Ubuntu 10.04*(Lucid*Lynx) | xlcwu's Blog which is beyond my novice capabilities.

Bottom line, and the Question is:
    can i use a wireless bridge in internet connection sharing mode on this linux box. I understand there are no drivers, right? and the machine connects via ethernet to my router now with no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated--linux is so new to me, even reading through forum posts about intermediate level operations is confusing.

WIRELESS ROUTER--->wireless signal--->WIRELESS ETHERNET BRIDGE--->ethenet cable--->LINUX MACHINE

????

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default wireless for emc lucid

I have a HP thine client running lucid emc2 without drive for usb wireless.
    I use DD-WRT with a linksys wrt54g config as a client-bridge, can log-in to my router through the ethernet rj45 connection. Look in the www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router client-bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller47591 View Post
    I've got Ubuntu Lucid and EMC on an old Dell Optiplex for my machine controller. I've used it successfully to test my drivers and motors, run g code from desk engrave and ACE converter, and have it connected via ethernet cable to my DLink wireless router.

I need to take this box out to the garage (where the machine build and operation is). No ethernet connection but I get a strong wireless signal with my Toshiba laptop. I'd really like to have any internet connection on this machine during set up and what not.

I bought a Wireless USB adapter that claimed Windows, Mac, and Linux comapatibility. Powerlink device with a Ralink 3070 chipset. I had already done the ndiswrapper install in case i needed to use windows drivers for this adapter to work. The adapter arrived (mail) and to my dismay the Linux option is a MAKEFILE-compile your own driver?? way over my head, I'm very new to Linux. To top it off there is no valid .inf file to open with ndiswrapper. Found some solutions online like this Build RT3070 kernel module on Ubuntu 10.04*(Lucid*Lynx) | xlcwu's Blog which is beyond my novice capabilities.

Bottom line, and the Question is:
    can i use a wireless bridge in internet connection sharing mode on this linux box. I understand there are no drivers, right? and the machine connects via ethernet to my router now with no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated--linux is so new to me, even reading through forum posts about intermediate level operations is confusing.

WIRELESS ROUTER--->wireless signal--->WIRELESS ETHERNET BRIDGE--->ethenet cable--->LINUX MACHINE

????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I ended up learning alot after that one. Never heard of dd-wrt before, but we do have an AB PLC controlled drilling machine that's outfitted with a Buffalo router. Networked for file uploading. Bet a million its running dd-wrt.

The firmware sounds pretty cool, not sure it I total understand client bridge mode but I'll keep reading.

Here's a question. Is there any advantage in using a router (say a D-Link DIR-615 D-Link DIR-615 rev E3 - DD-WRT Wiki ) with the dd-wrt firmware in client bridge over using a standard wireless ethernet bridge device?

Is one of them a better fit for my situation? Does one have more functionality or better performance than the other?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Price!! The wrt54g linksys is low price for me. Those are routers in the junk box 10HK$, or I have to pay 200HK$ for a router that can work as client bridge.