Newbie Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540

Thread: Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540

With luck someone can put me on the right path here.

I just ordered the Eding cpu5a4 controller to finish up the electronics on the CNC machine I have been tinkering with for the last year. Can I make a cunning DB25 cable to connect them directly, or am I better off using breakout boards to wire things up to the screw terminals? Electronics is not my strong suit, so I want to go down the correct path here.

Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540

Hi Seque, I just looked at the Eding site and it shows that the preferred way to wire that board up is with the DB25 cable and DB9 cable for the pendant.

I have the cpu5B and sure wish it was as easy to wire up as yours.

Keep us up to date with your build.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

No you cannot. I have done this myself, and had a custom cable made. Basically line up the outputs from the EdingCNC board to the inputs of the G540.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So all you connected was the step and direction pins on each side? Did you run your estop or limit switches into the gecko side or the eding side?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Segue View Post
    So all you connected was the step and direction pins on each side? Did you run your estop or limit switches into the gecko side or the eding side?
    No most everything to the G540. All you need to do is look at the pin out for Eding and pin in for G540 and pair up all you can. You can have a custom cable made for something like $35. Or just buy two DB25 cups, 2 covers and get some old ribbon cable and roll your own.

I have a build thread where I bought the custom cable, will find it tomorrow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The first attempt to get the electronics working was a bust, but I thought I would document it. Once I figure out the correct mapping, I will order a custom cable like louieatienza recommended. My first tour of the Eding software interface was good though, a bit easier to grasp than Mach3 for someone with no background in this.

Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540-interconnect-jpgConnecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540-electronics-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone,
    I`m in the process of converting my old CNC from Mach3/Gecko G540 to Eding CPU5A4E or CPU5B and I want to keep my G540 board. I haven't make my mind yet and the facility to connect the board to the G540 may have an impact on my choice.

Segue,
    were you successful in making the connections to your G540 following advices from Louieatienza?

Tinmancarving,
    you say that you have the cpu5B; have you done the connection to your G540 and if so, what was the route you took? Did you buy the CPU5B Connection Kit from Eding or you did it a different way?

Louieatienza,
    you mention you had a custom made cable for the cpu5a4 and that you had a build thread where you bought the custom cable; can you share the source for the cable?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally decided to go with the CPU5A4E mainly for the cost. The Canadian dollar is very low compare to the Euro and I didn't have the budget for the CPU5B and the adapter for the Ethernet.

Below is an image of the connection I plan to do once I will receive the board.

Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540-g540_pinout-jpg

I will connect one end of the DB25 cable to the G540 and the other end to the CPU5AE using the connector below where I will switch some of the wires.

Connecting Eding controller to a Gecko 540-db25_connector-jpg

I will try to post later when I make the connections