Lathe Turning?

Thread: Lathe Turning?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe Turning?

Are there any videos of EdingCNC on a lathe threading?

I checked youtube but they might be in different language.

I would like to get it for the cnc lathe I'm working on now.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Turning?

This interests me too. I am converting a few lathes to modern controls, and I want to make sure threading is good. I saw in another post Arie Kabaalstra mentioned threading works with the EdingCNC stuff, but I don't know if it takes only an index pulse, or can take multiple counts/rev, such as on the optical disk (100/rev + index) setup on the Emco Compact 5CNC I have. It's a bit of an expense (exchange rates being what they are), so I'd want to make sure before purchasing.

Doug.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DSpeck View Post
    This interests me too. I am converting a few lathes to modern controls, and I want to make sure threading is good. I saw in another post Arie Kabaalstra mentioned threading works with the EdingCNC stuff, but I don't know if it takes only an index pulse, or can take multiple counts/rev, such as on the optical disk (100/rev + index) setup on the Emco Compact 5CNC I have. It's a bit of an expense (exchange rates being what they are), so I'd want to make sure before purchasing.

Doug.
    Hi Doug,
    The threading G76 works with 1 index pulse.
    It works well provided that the spindle speed does not change during the cutting.
    With most lathe with spindles of 1.5 Kw or more this is not a problem.
    Arie kabaalstra has made a lot of special macro's for lathe.
    This can be done because the g-code has full programming capabilities, sub routines, if-then-else, while loops, interactive dialogs with the user and more.
    You can define your own M functions and also override existing M functions, by simple programming a sunroutine called after the M function.
    Example:
    Sub M3
    msg "this is my M3"
    msg "now calling the standard M3
    M3 S[#19]
    endsub

19 is the index of letter S in the alphabet, so the main gcode can do M3 S100 and then #19 will get value 100.
    Regards,
    Bert

Downloads
    Uploads

The machines I have are mostly 1hp or less , i.e. 1/2 hp for Emco Compact 5C, D&M computing model 5, etc. They may slow down some while cutting, especially once deeper into the cut. Can the Eding cards take in encoder pulses for better resolution? The Emco and D&M lathes come with 100ppr spindle encoders built-in, and the Emco has quadrature outputs so you can see direction as well.

Doug.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DSpeck View Post

Doug.
    I heard that!... at the moment EdingCNC still works with the single input from an "encoder" which can be as simple as a limitswitch mounted facing a disc on the spindle with one hole in it..
    I do understand the desire for a more pulses per rev system, and as far as i know they are working on that, also to make Rigid Tapping a possibility..(wouldn't that be cool on a lathe?.. )
    I haven't been around here for a number of years, life wasn't too kind to me, but i still have my machines.. Recently i also bought an EMCOturn 120 which in the future will be converted to EdingCNC.. at the moment i'm writing all the Macro's for it, and for my "trusty ol' EMCO Compact 5 CNC.

Recent software Updates have made a lot of Cool stuff possible.. things we could only dream of, like for instance Polar Coordinates.. i'm in the process of writing the macro's for that.. and that is really cool..

I looked at the Heidenhain Controls i used to work with, and Heidenhain uses CC for Circle Center, i.e. you program:
    CC X20 Y30, that then becomes the Circle Center, and on the next line you can program:
    LP PR30 PA45, which means, from X20 Y30 (Circle Center) move 30mm (radius) at 45°, which enables you to mill polygons, or make hole circles..

For EdingCNC i've dreamt up M33 since C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet, so you can program
    M33 X20 Y30 at an EdingCNC controlled machine.. and the next line could read:
    M34 R30 A45, different code, same result..I do need to make some small tweaks to the code, but sofar it verks, it chooches!..

I'm also working on a Lathe Macro with all kinds of neat stuff..at the moment, There is a facing Cycle, but if you choose orientation 2 instead of 1 it turns.. same goes for the Chamfer Cycle, orientation 3 is Facing, 4 is turning.. are we seeing a pattern here?.. Yes. all Odd Orientations are Facing Cycles, and all Even ones are turning..