pathtrace can learn a lot from russian - sprutcam 2007 , not everything , but it looks like somebody thought by writing the software as a user and not a code programmer. Sprutcam is not perfect too , if they fix some things i`ll be switching to sprutcam and if edgecam learn a little i`ll stay :-)
some thinks I like in sprutcam that I don`t like in edgecam ( in milling ) :
- creating, defining and redefining, changing a stock
- don`t pointing everytime what is a stock and what is a part
- better simulation with a every line/step pointing
- displaying toolpaths for only one cycle
- better displaying layers for stock/part/machining
- "maybe" better hole recognision ( in EC12.5 is a lot better than 11 )
- spindle rpm`s can be changed in m/min and rpm`s !
- better part diagnostics ( messuring )
thats all I can remember for now , but I don`t think it is over.
and some things that I better like in edgecam as in sprutcam :
- profiling , profiling with a correction , 3D profiling , helical profiling, helical profiling with a correction.
- pointing levels with a mouse ( digitizing part )
- support for 3d spacemouse
Not much , but profiling is a second most used cycle after roughing.
I will not urge anyone , but there is a downloadable version of SC, you can see , you can "touch" and take you own conclusions.