Newbie Reducing Gcode lines in EdgeCAM

Thread: Reducing Gcode lines in EdgeCAM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Reducing Gcode lines in EdgeCAM

Hello all,

RE: need to reduce accuracy of G-code toolpath to reduce the lines of G-code.

Great forum, it has been very helpful!! I have moved up from CamBAM to edgeCAM, I have a 5 axis machine setup using a generic adaptive mill from the code wizard, it works well but the amount of steps in the code is ridiculous over 15000 line for a tiny job. So my question is how would one shorten this. Should I be using arcs or can i increase the distance between points used to generate the toolpath? In either case just pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. The machine is a custom university project for turbine blade grit blasting, I have been allowed to use the universities Edgecam license but have no guidance so all my info is obtained online but I still can't find a solution to this simple problem?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reducing Gcode lines in EdgeCAM

Check your step over % in any roughing cycle's, if it's low that could cause a lot of extra lines.

How complex is the part?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reducing Gcode lines in EdgeCAM

most likely cause for excessive lines of code is the tolerance setting
    this is used in conjunction with the Control Tab - Option - NC Output Smoothing
    when set to None - the cycle will output straight line / spline moves of length equal to the tolerance setting
    when set to Line Arc - Edgecam calculates the toolpath end point,
    if the move approximates an Arc within the tolerance band it will output a G02 / G03 move.

some HSM controllers require all output as linear spline moves,
    a larger tolerance value will make the individual line moves longer.