Need Help! USB cable length

Thread: USB cable length

Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB cable length

Hello.
    I need to connect the kflop/kanalog to the pc via a long usb cable >15m.
    By doing that i get disconnection problems very often.The kflop/kanalog is powered from the pc power supply, via a long 15m 4x1.5mm2 cable. Please advice the best possible practice.Should i better use a separate 5vdc isolated power supply.Will a opticaly isolated usb adapter help?.
    It is very difficult to move the pc closser to the kfop/kanalog, so this should be the last solution.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: USB cable length

I wonder if a range extender would work?

http://tinyurl.com/ya4jcalb

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    I wonder if a range extender would work?

http://tinyurl.com/ya4jcalb
    Well i try a usb extender, not the one sugested but a cheaper version with rj45 ftp cable but with no luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

The USB standard has a limit on cable length, so any more than a couple meters is not guaranteed to work.

However you can get active/repeater extension cables. I regularly use them for timing kit, but the longest length I've personally gone is 10m. I've never had any problems, but receiving some timing data every few seconds isn't as demanding as a KFlop. There's no reason why they shouldn't work, as a lot of audio visual places sell them, and audio and video is pretty demanding on bandwidth.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just get a powered USB hub and put it in the middle and make the cables as short as possible. Also, it is probably a good idea to use a USB 2.0 hub instead of a 3.0 hub. The faster signals of 3.0 can go less far and may be more prone to errors.

For that matter, what USB port are you using on the computer end? Is the connector blue, USB 3.0, on the PC, or is it black, USB 2.0? If you are using a 3.0 port, try the 2.0 port to see if that will work.