Need Help! Mach3, Kflop, RPM and index signal (convert from a Parellel World)

Thread: Mach3, Kflop, RPM and index signal (convert from a Parellel World)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3, Kflop, RPM and index signal (convert from a Parellel World)

Hi,

My adventure to move from a paralle port control to Kflop is almost done(due in no small part to my use of the search function here)

I have Mach3 running my mill with a Kflop Board talking to my G504. Got my VSD working fine with serial modbus communications, now want to disply the spindle RPM on the Mach3 screen. Nothing fancy, just display the speed. This worked fine in the past both with straight Parallel Port and also a UC100 usb-parallel controller.

Reading up it seems I have to use a quadrature encoder to get the spindle speed? Really? I can see the index signal(coming into the G504) from the existing 1 pulse per revolution spindle sensor in Kflop I/O and in Mach3.
    Is it possible to just use the old Mach 3 encoder signal and internal calcs to see the RPM speed?

Am I missing something simple?

Help Please!

Thanks.

Mark

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3, Kflop, RPM and index signal (convert from a Parellel World)

Hi Mark,

You are correct a quadrature encoder is expected for Spindle Feedback. You can probably simulate an encoder with a User Program to monitor your single pulse and increment an Axis Position. See the SpindleOnePulse.c example.

The pulse will have to be long enough to be sampled reliably by the User Program. With 2 User Threads running that means it would need to be at least 270us long at the highest RPM. Alternatively you could use a RC (resistor+capacitor) circuit to delay the pulse by several microseconds so that the original pulse and the delayed pulse would create an A B quadrature type of signal that could be connected to a KFLOP Hardware encoder input to count pulses.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Tom for your quick reply,

I assume it is a timing issue....
    If I dig out my old Homann MB-02 parallel port i/o board and use that for the timing signal, do you know if there is anything in the Kflop plugin that would prevent me getting the speed signal that way(ugly as it is)?

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mark,

I assume it is a timing issue....
    I don't understand what you mean. Either of the methods I described would most likely work. The pulse would have to be for a very small angle and the Spindle very high RPM to not be reliably detected by a KFLOP User Program.

If I dig out my old Homann MB-02 parallel port i/o board and use that for the timing signal, do you know if there is anything in the Kflop plugin that would prevent me getting the speed signal that way(ugly as it is)?
    No I don't think this would work. The whole idea behind KFLOP is to avoid any real time operations on the PC/Windows. The Dynomotion Plugin replace the Parallel Port Driver.

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com