Build Thread Tree325 Retrofit Started


Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 81

Thread: Tree325 Retrofit Started

  1. #1
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Tree325 Retrofit Started

    ..........
    ..........

    I was able to find a Tree Journeyman 325 Knee Mill with issues on it's Delta20 (Dynapath) controller.
    I do have a 10hp. three phase motor that I will be setting up as a rotary phase converter to power this three phase machine.
    I purchased this machine for $1000 and it is now in the garage ready for the retrofit.


    Here are a few pictures of this machine: Here


    This retrofit will be done with the Dynomotion:
    Kflop Controller
    Kanalog Expansion Board for KFLOP

    On the Dynomotion WIKI support page there is:
    under the support--> wiring diagram schematic for the Tree 325
    which has a two page PDF schematic made by Rick_B.

    The person who made this two page Schematic has successfully retrofit his Tree 325 with the existing servos/powersupply and was kind enough to share this information.
    I am sure these pages make sense to many or you; however, I have much to learn before I can look at them and say, "great, now I know exactly what to do".

    Really going to need help here .....

    .....
    .....

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    190
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    Congratulations on the new purchase! Looks like a dandy machine to retrofit. I think you made the right decision rather then wasting time with the taig. Thats a big upgrade. Good luck with it.



  3. #3
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    .......
    001.......

    "Congratulations" ... Well, we will see just how this works out to see if I am blessed or cursed.

    I have many questions on where to start and I am hoping to get the needed guidance on this forum to make this whole thing happen.

    I have no manuals or schematics for this machine, as you can see I am off to a very weak start.

    Questions:

    1.) Is there anybody reading this thread that would know where I can get or willing to share the manuals/schematics for the existing wiring?

    2.) Wouldn't it be best to start this rebuild with a new single phase power supply since I will be using the Kflop & Kanalog boards and all the existing components run on 120V or less?


    .......
    001.......



  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    190
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf View Post
    .......
    001.......

    "Congratulations" ... Well, we will see just how this works out to see if I am blessed or cursed.

    I have many questions on where to start and I am hoping to get the needed guidance on this forum to make this whole thing happen.

    I have no manuals or schematics for this machine, as you can see I am off to a very weak start.

    Questions:

    1.) Is there anybody reading this thread that would know where I can get or willing to share the manuals/schematics for the existing wiring?

    2.) Wouldn't it be best to start this rebuild with a new single phase power supply since I will be using the Kflop & Kanalog boards and all the existing components run on 120V or less?


    .......
    001.......

    Are you thinking about powering the entire machine with single phase or just parts of the controller?



  5. #5
    Gold Member TomKerekes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2492
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    1.) Is there anybody reading this thread that would know where I can get or willing to share the manuals/schematics for the existing wiring?
    Like I said before in Rick B's comments on his YouTube Video he kindly provided a link to a professional quality re-drawn schematic for his machine. And also now in our wiki. I believe it shows much of the original wiring that he was able to use.

    I'd also suggest as a first step that you test that you can move the motors by applying a test voltage to the Amplifier inputs. See our wiki here:
    Kanalog Hardware Info - Dynomotion


    HTH
    Regards

    TK
    http://dynomotion.com


  6. #6
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    .....
    ......

    I was thinking it may be easier for me to understand what I am doing if I start with the single phase power supply for the controller/drives/servos and then concern myself with the spindle/VFD three phase motor after I have the axis moving.
    I am confused enough with where to start on this project and when I look at the existing cabinet of electronics … I don’t know what to keep and what will get pulled. If I were to just start with a new a single phase power supply, then I don’t have to try and figure out the existing three phase power supply and what wires to use. I think it may also be easier to get help if I am using a power supply that I have some documentation for.
    I do know that RickB, who has successfully made this retrofit on a Tree325, did use the existing three phase power supply. So, I believe his well made schematics may reflect that.



    .....
    .....


    Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Are you thinking about powering the entire machine with single phase or just parts of the controller?




  7. #7
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    ....
    ....

    Tom,
    Please be patient with me on this project, I have very much to learn.
    I assume this test can only take place after I have I connect the Kflop/Kanalog to the servos?
    My first step in this project will be to get one axis moving, as you suggested. I do not have the Kflop/Kanalog boards yet. I will be placing my order tonight.
    Can I assume I will need to purchase the cables separately to connect the Kflop/Kanalog together?
    If you have a “best read first” to get my first servo motor connect once these boards come in, please point me to it and I will read and read over again until they come in.
    Thanks,

    .....
    ......


    Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    ....

    I'd also suggest as a first step that you test that you can move the motors by applying a test voltage to the Amplifier inputs. See our wiki here:
    Kanalog Hardware Info - Dynomotion


    HTH
    Regards




  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    190
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf View Post
    .....
    ......

    I was thinking it may be easier for me to understand what I am doing if I start with the single phase power supply for the controller/drives/servos and then concern myself with the spindle/VFD three phase motor after I have the axis moving.
    I am confused enough with where to start on this project and when I look at the existing cabinet of electronics … I don’t know what to keep and what will get pulled. If I were to just start with a new a single phase power supply, then I don’t have to try and figure out the existing three phase power supply and what wires to use. I think it may also be easier to get help if I am using a power supply that I have some documentation for.
    I do know that RickB, who has successfully made this retrofit on a Tree325, did use the existing three phase power supply. So, I believe his well made schematics may reflect that.

    .....
    .....
    So you do plan on reusing existing motors and drives right?

    It looks like ricks drives are powered from a transformer thats connected to a single phase (R and S) of the three phase supply. See bottom left of first page here: http://www.dynomotion.com/wiki/index..._by_Rick_B.pdf You may be able to connect single phase 240 to R and S for now and run everything except spindle drive and coolant pump. I would probably disconnect all power to spindle drive for now if you do this. There is a 24v transformer that connects to R and T, you should be able to move this to R and S too so it will all run from a single phase.

    Its hard to know exactly what to keep when starting out. Try and study as much as you can about the existing components before you tear it apart. Dont worry much about the old circuit boards of the controller, but try and understand what each contactor and overload does, try and figure out as much wiring to and from the servo drives as possible, those kind of things. Make some notes. Bit by bit it will start to come together and then make a decision on what to gut out of it. Hang on to the stuff you pull out until your completely finished just in case.

    Post some pics of your existing electronics



  9. #9
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    .....
    .....

    Thanks mmurray70 ............

    Yes ... I will use the existing power supply.
    I hope to get my 10hp three phase rotary phase converter up and going this weekend.
    I used it about 15 years ago on a Bridgeport Boss Series 1, sold that to to my brother-in-law for $675 many years ago ... he is still using it today on the existing controller/stepper drives.
    He got a deal on it.

    I will start taking high-resolution pictures of the electronics and get them up my web site.
    I ordered some wire marker labels and will start marking/labeling wires accordingly.
    Thanks again for the starting sequence suggestions. It seems not so overwhelming when I read your posts.

    .....
    ......



  10. #10
    Gold Member TomKerekes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2492
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    Please be patient with me on this project, I have very much to learn.
    No rush from our end

    I assume this test can only take place after I have I connect the Kflop/Kanalog to the servos?
    Actually no. The idea is to use the battery to mimic a simple fixed test voltage. If that works as expected then the command voltage from KFLOP/Kanalog will likely work.

    Regards

    TK
    http://dynomotion.com


  11. #11
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    ....
    ....
    Tom,

    For this to work, would have to have the existing controller powered up?

    ....
    ....

    [QUOTE=TomKerekes;
    Actually no. The idea is to use the battery to mimic a simple fixed test voltage. If that works as expected then the command voltage from KFLOP/Kanalog will likely work.
    Regards[/QUOTE]



  12. #12
    Registered PeterTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

    ....
    ....

    My Kflop/Kanalog boards arrived …. Thanks Dynomotion.

    I was able to resurrect an existing 10hp. Rotary Converter I used 15 years ago on the Bridgeport Boss Series I. I spend a few hours today getting it connect and ready to try and run this machine on 3-Phase. I have yet to try it … hopefully to tomorrow.
    In any case here is my update to the ongoing pictures / videos.
    However, I may not have the wiring in house to make the connection.

    mmurray70 , I also hope to get some picture of the inside electronics tomorrow.

    ....
    ....



Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Tree325 Retrofit Started
Tree325 Retrofit Started