Back EMF smoke in controll panel - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back EMF smoke in controll panel

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Joe,

I think you are on the right track.

The Supply Bypass Caps I recommended may not be necessary. Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. I tend to always add them if I can't convince myself they are not absolutely unnecessary.

What gauge wire is your supply wiring btw?

Regards
    The power supply is fed with #12 from the power supply 70 vd c output each drive is fed separately with #16.

I will be changing the stepper motors rated at 5.5 amps there will be 4 stepper motors so I am a little concerned the 800 watt power supply may be a little under sized?

Gecko states if the drive is over 12" from supply you must add a 470uf capacitor on the power input to the drive with leads of no more than 1" . A couple of my drives are over 12" so I am going to add them to all the drives.

I will be getting the capacitors i ordered .1uf, 2.2uf and 4.7uf ceramic capacitors so I may as well add them to the circuit, since I think any noise is coming from the drives i plan on putting them on the output of the return energy dump circuit feeding each drive.

I'm thinking when I originally fried the return energy dump circuits I damaged the gecko drives so the wild goose chase is on me.

Last edited by mirocha; 09-06-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mirocha View Post
    The power supply is fed with #12 from the power supply 70 vd c output each drive is fed separately with #16.

I will be changing the stepper motors rated at 5.5 amps there will be 4 stepper motors so I am a little concerned the 800 watt power supply may be a little under sized?

Gecko states if the drive is over 12" from supply you must add a 470uf capacitor on the power input to the drive with leads of no more than 1" . A couple of my drives are over 12" so I am going to add them to all the drives.

I will be getting the capacitors i ordered .1uf, 2.2uf and 4.7uf ceramic capacitors so I may as well add them to the circuit, since I think any noise is coming from the drives i plan on putting them on the output of the return energy dump circuit feeding each drive.

I'm thinking when I originally fried the return energy dump circuits I damaged the gecko drives so the wild goose chase is on me.
    I got a used Gecko G210 on ebay for $49 and installed it. All 4 return energy dump circuit LEDs on the control panel door are now working,nice!

I still plan on adding capacitors on the power input to the Gecko drives just as a precaution to minimize noise from the drives. I have .1uf, 2.2uf and 4.7uf ceramic capacitors.

What would be a good choice to use, should I add all three, would that cover a wide range of noise or is just 1 a better choice?

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Back EMF smoke in controll panel

Hi Joe,

That's good news.

I still plan on adding capacitors on the power input to the Gecko drives just as a precaution to minimize noise from the drives. I have .1uf, 2.2uf and 4.7uf ceramic capacitors.

What would be a good choice to use, should I add all three, would that cover a wide range of noise or is just 1 a better choice?
    Is that in addition to the 470uF that Gecko recommends?

I'm not sure which Capacitors would be best. It would depend on the frequency of the noise. The 2.2uF and 4.7uF are similar enough that adding both probably wouldn't make sense. I would think the drive would already have some caps on the input. With bypass capacitors I tend to go for the more the better at the risk of overkill.

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

good to see you have it all working

I guess it a bit too soon to have any feed back from Gecko about whats wrong with your faulty drive

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    good to see you have it all working

I guess it a bit too soon to have any feed back from Gecko about whats wrong with your faulty drive

John
    I'll also be adding the 470uf capacitor Gecko recomends.

When Gecko let's me know what they found I'll post what they find.

Thanks Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

470 uF for energy, 0.1 uF for RF noise. Pretty 'standard'.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    470 uF for energy, 0.1 uF for RF noise. Pretty 'standard'.

Cheers
    Roger
    Install the 470uf, .1uf, 2.2uf, and 4.7uf capacitors tested circuit numerous times works every time the LED s flash.

I have been bench testing the stepper motors. After talking to Gecko and going over what motors I was using they told me the stepper motors I was using would not be linear that the impedance was high. The motors were 1600 oz/in 22mH.

So I bought 1260 oz/in 5.5mH stepper motors.

Now that I have the return energy dump circuit with the LEDs working I changed out the motors.

Testing the new motors using the jog button on kmotion the return energy circuit LEDs did not flash,telling me that there was no return energy.

I added a user button in kmotion and tried raising the stepper motor rpm to see if I could get return energy from the new stepper motors. Entering a "jog(2-50000) did not light the LED. Entering a (jog-55000) gave me a dim flash on the LED. Entering a (jog-60000) gave me full brightness LED flash.

So I learned a little more, the higher the stepper motor impedance the greater the return energy and according to Gecko the lower the stepper motor impedance the better the linearity.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Makes total sense.
    Gecko are very knowledgable.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123