Need Help! KFLOP cycling on and off

Thread: KFLOP cycling on and off

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default KFLOP cycling on and off

Just connected a new KFLOP/KANALOG board to Win 7 Pro computer (fresh install). One LED comes on briefly, then both flashing quickly for roughly 5 seconds, then both on solid, bright for 4-5 seconds and starts over again. I'm just trying to configure at this point. Windows appears to have accepted the driver because there is no longer a yellow triangle with exclamation point showing in device manager. Device manager keeps flipping back and forth between seeing it and not. FYI, this issue was going on before installing drivers as well. I have a jumper on J3 for power. Am I missing something obvious. I don't know what could make the board keep cycling power. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: KFLOP cycling on and off

Hi Chris,

USB power is inadequate to power KFLOP+Kanalog. Use an external +5V supply with 2A or more capacity.

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, Thanks. That makes sense. I would not have guessed they would need that much power with nothing else connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's the start up surge from the +/-15V generator that causes the problem with USB power. The generator doesn't get started until the KFlop has booted up and the Kanalog has initialised, and then the generator momentarily needs more than a USB port can deliver, which causes the USB port to cut out, then the cycle repeats.

If you just want to test with a KFlop plugged in, you could just unplug the main ribbon cable to the Kanalog, and the KFlop should stay powered up from USB.

Just remember if powering from an external 5V source, remove the jumpers on the KFlop to isolate the USB 5V, otherwise both 5V sources will be connected directly together, which can lead to things getting damaged.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay! Thanks for the clarification.