Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)

Thread: Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me sort a few issues and answer questions along the way. The Shopbot PRSalpha Buddy (2'x4') router has been completed for a few weeks are has been working exceptionally well. I happened into Kflop after reading about a similar conversion by kirilian of his Shopbot BT32 to Mach3: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/commer...-software.html Rather than Mach 3 I opted to use KmotionCNC and I couldn't be happier.

I decided to post a few details here because I figured it may help a few others. Particularly with the direct TTL to RS-485. I was pretty apprehensive about converting a running machine but over the past year of issues with the Shopbot software I decided to make the switch.

Because I didn't want to physically modify the original machine I designed an adapter board to convert using the same connectors as the original SB motion controller, that way I could convert back if I ever needed to. One of my concerns was the VFD control via RS-485 using modbus. The SB software would lockup if I left the RPM window open which I wasn't sure if it was a PC issue or a SB issue. So I decided I'd have the Kflop handle the modbus directly. I found a very in-expensive TTL_RS485 module on Amazon that would handle 3.3V LVTTL. Once everything was proto-typed and working, I designed a PCB in Eagle and sent the design to a pcb house. I include an RJ-11 socket to plug in to the original VFD cable and a socket for the TTL_RS485 module. Turned out very professional.

When I was researching the RS-485 stuff I found the information to be a bit thin. It appeared most people are using modpoll on the PC or were using Kanalog with an adapter. I wanted to handle it directly. So far this module has worked brilliantly. It draws very little allowing me to power it directly off the Kflop.

In addition to plugging in the adapter, I did put 14N007 flyback diodes on the contractor coils and installed a z-axis proximity switch which simplified my homing routine. I ordered the proximity switch Shopbot for $87.50 – part number 14601.

Here's the TTL_RS485 module details:
    UART TTL to RS485 Two-way Converter Module [TTL-RS485-Module] - US $2.80 : HAOYU Electronics : Make Engineers Job Easier

Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)-ttl_rs485-png

Here's the board in Eagle. First Eagle project ever. Awesome software.
    Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)-shopbot2kflop2-png

The board without the TTL_RS485 module.
    Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)-img_2567-1-jpg

Completed board ready to install.
    Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)-img_2568-1-jpg

Installed with the Kflop in the back ground.
    Shopbot PRSalpha router converted to Kflop KmotionCNC with rs-485 (shopbot2kflop)-img_2569-1-jpg