2nd kstep

Thread: 2nd kstep

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2nd kstep

Can some one show me how to connect the second kstep board up to a kflop , I ordered it with the extender cable but I can not find anywhere on the site how to connect them together .

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2nd kstep

You want to connect it via JP26 - KStep Connectors

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response , I can say I do not completely understand the answer .

I have the ribbon cable connected from jp7 on kflop to jp36 on the first kstep and you are saying connect up 26 from kstep to the other kstep?

If so why did they include a second longer ribbon cable but a short cable for jp26 to jp26

Last edited by Gregore; 03-29-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The ribbon cable is used to connect one KStep using JP36 to JP7 on the KFlop, so that KStep uses step/dir outputs 0-3.
    The short RJ cable is used to connect the other KStep JP26 to KFlop JP5, which means that KStep uses step/dir outputs 4-7.

I'm guessing going by your description, the cable lengths are designed so that if everything is stacked, the bottom KStep uses the ribbon cable, and the top (middle card in the stack) KStep uses the RJ cable, with the KFlop on top.

You also need to provide power to the KStep connected via the RJ cable, which can be done by using some short bits of wire to loop between J6 on both KSteps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks I think that makes sense , as I can visualize it in my head .

I was planning on having 5 volt board power through the USB on kflop board , and thus the ribbon cable kstep so I should be able to connect the 2 kstep boards through j6 , but do I remove the j3 jumper on kflop ?

I read the manual multiple times but but the j3 jumper eludes me in my application

Also the j6 is not actually numbered on the kstep connector pinout photo on the website so I assume it is the 4 pin terminal block direct above jp31 and jp32

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are powering everything requiring 5V via USB, then you need J3 installed. With it removed, it basically disconnects the USB 5V, so the KFlop has to be powered from an alternative 5V source. It's discussed at the end of the text description for JR1.

Remember you also have 5V/Gnd isolation jumpers on the KSteps, which the purpose of are highlighted in this diagram - http://dynomotion.com/Help/Schematic...ctorsKFLOP.htm

J6 is the 4 pin connector above JP31&32. The details are shown at the very bottom of the KStep connector page linked above, but J6 is not labelled on the diagram at the top of the page.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also noticed that I need to anable the amplifier signal using a wire to connect the 2 enable screws between the 2 j6 connectors on both kstep is that correct ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gregore View Post
    I also noticed that I need to anable the amplifier signal using a wire to connect the 2 enable screws between the 2 j6 connectors on both kstep is that correct ?
    Yes.
    The enable signal goes through the ribbon cable, so when using the RJ cable, you have to supply the enable via J6.