Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive

Thread: Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive

Hi everyone,

I bought a Leadshine EL5-D1000 driver and matching 1000W motor (just 1 to try out, and I am glad I didn't buy in bulk). It has a number of inputs and features, but I was just looking for a low-cost 240V torque controller and was planning on using a Kanalog +/-10V single ended output to control it.

I was having a heck of a time tuning the motor without a load attached to learn how the driver behaved under torque control. After hooking the motor up to the ballscrew I discovered the problem with using the single ended output onto the driver's differential input: when reversing the Kanalog DAC polarity the motor will spin in the wrong direction for a while before eventually proceeding in the correct direction. Without the drag of the ballscrew and linear bearings it was just taking off into unstable cycling as soon as the Kanalog reversed polarity and I couldn't figure out what was happening exactly, with the ballscrew attached it looks to turn in the wrong direction for about a quarter turn before coming around, under a constant (minimal so as to keep it slow) DAC output with a DAC(0,60) type command. I can attach a graph if that is helpful.

The servo driver manual shows pins 39/41 were for single ended inputs and 43/44 were for differential inputs (see attachment), but there is no way to choose which one is used for the controlling input (based on context I suspected that parameter pr317 might control this, but it is omitted from the description table in the manual) as per their support:

Hi , I just discuss with RD teammate , torque control is only available with analog input from P43&44 ,and the input range is -10 ~ +10v ,positive means CW and negative means CCW .
    About pr317 , 0 is for your application , no need to change to 1 or 2 , sorry i have no details about this parameter now .

BTW, which country are you from ? from US ?

Best regards
    clark
    product&technical engineer
    Leadshine Technology Co., Ltd.

Address: 11/F, Block A3, iPark, No.1001 Xueyuan Blvd.
    Nanshan District, Shenzhen, China www.leadshine.com

(this response is unsatisfying, as is the claim that they have US support when I bought it on americanmotiontech.com, it arrived direct from China after claiming it was out of stock once the order was placed as well.)

So my conundrum now is how to move forward. Options I see are:

1) Switch the servo driver over to velocity mode on the single ended analog in pins and only set the P parameter in the driver (which is sort of equivalent to torque mode with extra time lag as it goes through the PID loop in the servo drive?)
    2) Try and get the step/dir function of the KFLOP working to control it (which I hadn't been planning on using for any of my setup)
    3) Get a single ended to differential IC chip and wire that up externally
    4) (some handwaving involved by a ME trying to do EE stuff here) Use two DAC channels to create a differential signal as I only need 5 out of the 8 channels.

Which is the best option from a controls perspective for 1-4? 1 seems the simplest if it would work well enough; I am going to try a different vendor for the rest of the axes, maybe DMM.

Thanks,
    Andy

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive-unnamed-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive

Hi Andy,

Kanalog should work with single ended analog inputs or differential analog inputs. I doubt it that is your issue. Kanalog DAC outputs are single ended (the DAC output is relative to its GND). The best approach would be to used the Drive's Differential input and connect the Drive's Vin- signal to Kanalog GND. Connect the Drive's Vin+ to the Kanalog DAC.

You might just have unstable PID settings. Torque mode with only P Gain is theoretically unstable. It is similar to a pendulum. Torque is the same as acceleration. As the target is approached the acceleration is reduced, but reaches maximum speed right at the target so naturally overshoots. Some friction or damping (D Gain) is required to cause the motor to slow down as it approaches the target.

What settings were you using? Post a plot.

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

Knowing that the Vin- to Kanalaog ground should work is helpful, that's how I'd been connecting it and that lets me strike that off the list of suspects. I am pretty sure it's in the servo side now, the KFLOP is not running any of its servo loops for this, the axis is disabled in Kmotion and I am just directly setting the DAC output to a small value enough to overcome friction. The c code to do a little back and forth and write the position to disk is at the bottom, along with the plot.

I experimented a little more tonight and the vendor's setup tool shows the current traces (unclear what specific current this is measuring physically, and their graph is funky in that the present is at the left side and the past moves to the right) but it seems to show the wrong-direction dip at the change of polarity (which is sensed properly) that then recovers. The tool also turns out to show the input which looks correct. Only one of the 3 phases has any current shown in their tool, but I don't know if that is an expected quirk or not. I continuity checked the motor from the plug that goes into the servo driver and all 3 phases are there and at the right resistance though I haven't measured the current going into each phase directly yet.

Thanks,
    Andy

Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive-current-traces2-jpg
    Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive-going-wrong-direction-plot-pdf

Code:
    #include "KMotionDef.h"
    #include "init_definitions.h" // this loads up the mapping of input/output channels and bits to names
    #include "function_definitions.h" // load up all the definitions

// save file to disk for plotting

main()
    {

//float current_time = Time_sec();
    //printf("c:\\Temp\\P%f_I%f_D%fTime%f.txt\n", ch0->P, ch0->I, ch0->D, current_time);

float current_time = Time_sec();
    	float target_time;
    	float target_time2;
    	double current_position;
    	short int DACoutput;

float D_term = 1;
    	float P_term = 0.06;	

FILE *f;
    	char s[256];

ch0->Enable=FALSE; 

ch0->LimitSwitchOptions=0x103;
    	ch0->LimitSwitchNegBit=138;
    	ch0->LimitSwitchPosBit=139;

f=fopen("c:\\Temp\\logdata.txt","wt");

if (!f)
    	{
    		printf("Unable to open file\n");
    		return;
    	}

//// Run back and forth

printf("\n\nstart - move\n");
    	chan[0].Position=0.0;  // set current position to Zero

while(current_position < 10000.0 && current_position > -10000.0) {
    		current_position = ch0->Position;
    		current_time = Time_sec();
    		DACoutput = DAC_Buffer[2]-2048;
    		fprintf(f, "%f,%f,%d\n", current_time, current_position, 100*DACoutput);
    		DAC(2,-65);
    		//if (current_position > 10000.0 || current_position < -10000.0) {
    		//	ch0->Enable=FALSE;
    		//	DAC(1,0);
    		//	printf("too far\n");
    		//	break;
    		//}
    	}
    	DAC(2,0);
    	printf("end - move\n");

target_time = current_time + 1;
    	while(current_time < target_time) {
    		fprintf(f, "%f,%f,%d\n", current_time, current_position, 100*DACoutput);	// make a line to show when stopped		

}	

printf("start + move\n");

while(current_position > 0.0) {
    		fprintf(f, "%f,%f,%d\n", current_time, current_position, 100*DACoutput);
    		DAC(2,75);
    		//if (current_position > 10000.0 || current_position < -10000.0) {
    		//	ch0->Enable=FALSE;
    		//	DAC(1,0);
    		//	printf("too far\n");
    		//	break;
    		//}
    	}
    	printf("end + move\n");
    	DAC(2,0);
    //// End back and forth	

/*
    	target_time = current_time + 10;
    	printf("Start axis motion\n");
    	ch0->Enable=TRUE; 
    	chan[0].Position=1500.0;  // set current position to Zero
    	ch0->Dest=0.0;
    // this only moves in one direction (-1500 to 0 seems to work. Is CW on end).
    //DAC control moves in both. integer sign issue?
    // what's the difference between this syntax and chan[0].Position?	
    // It was briefly working with this new syntax??

while(current_time < target_time) {
    		DACoutput = DAC_Buffer[1]-2048;
    		fprintf(f, "%f,%f,%d\n", current_time, current_position, DACoutput);
    		//printf("%f,%f\n", current_time, current_position);

if (current_position > 7500.0 || current_position < -7500.0) {
    			ch0->Enable=FALSE;
    			DAC(1,0);
    		}

}*/
    	fclose(f);
    	printf("completed write\n");
    	ch0->Enable=FALSE; 
    	DAC(1,0);
    }

// Then in Octave: A = importdata('c:\Temp\logdata.txt', ',')
    // plot(A)

Downloads
    Uploads

The graph looks pretty bad uploaded, the red trace (CurrentGiven(%)) basically follows along with the blue one (CurrentFeedback(%)) except for some single bit noise, including during the aberrant spike.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andy,

It isn't clear why you are doing all this yourself when the Step Response Screen was designed for this type of thing, but it should work.

Here are some possible issues:

#1 - please use EnableAxisDest and DisableAxis to enable and disable an Axis. Forcing the Enable Flag on and off may give unpredictable results

#2 - note that if an axis is enabled and using/writing to a DAC then anything you attempt to write to the DAC will soon be overwritten. Make sure any and all axes that use a DAC are disabled before writing to the DAC manually.

#3 - you shouldn't change the Axis Position Value while the Axis is Enabled

#4 - normally you would call a Move Function to move an axis. Not just change the Destination

#5 - avoid tight printf/fprintf loops (with out any delays) that may flood the communication buffers between KFLOP and the PC

#6 - times in the plots don't seem to match your program delays. Does the program exactly what was used to make the plots?

But assuming those items aren't causing any problem, it does seem like simply setting the DAC to -65 moves positive, DAC to 0 stops, DAC to +75 causes a jerk in the wrong direction for some reason. If you have an oscilloscope you might verify the Kanalog DAC is doing as we expect to prove the Drive is definitely the issue..

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I understand, Andy is trying to run the Servo open loop as a constant torque source?
    Which for some reason when the DAC voltage is reversed, the servo continues to move in the wrong direction, before finally reversing direction.

Some kind of oscillation due to lack of load on the servo?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi m_c,

Something like that. But not "continues to move" rather it is fully stopped, first moves in the wrong direction for a bit, then reverses and moves in the correct direction.

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

I never noticed it was after being stationary.

If there's no oscilloscope, could the DAC be linked over to one of the ADC's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi m_c,

As Tom has noticed, this whole thing is a big, inefficient debugging process. I started using the Kmotion step/response tools after first spinning the servo enough to get a hello, world motion with a straight DAC output, but couldn't figure out what was going on in tuning it because sometimes it would behave as expected and settle, but re-running the very same parameters would go rapidly very unstable after the initial motion. I believe what was happening was the Kflop servo loop was seeing the 180 degree opposed motion from the servo polarity reversal transient. Without any load on the servo it was going nuts basically instantly (I was able to get some control really cranking the D term but it was clearly not right), adding the ballscrew gave enough drag to get a handle on the observables, which is where I started this thread.

For the code and charts here I am doing like you say, trying to just run it open loop, constant torque to figure out why it continues in the wrong direction on polarity reversal (stopping and starting without reversing DAC polarity doesn't exhibit the same effect). The plots are all with the ballscrew and two linear bearings attached, so some load is present. I am going to reconfigure the servo drive to velocity mode and see if the same situation occurs when polarity is reversed, another guy on another forum had issues and ended up switching to velocity mode, which had success for him.

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

(for clarity, what I'm trying to do is spin it 10,000 counts in one direction open loop, stop motion and wait briefly, reverse direction until back where it started. The code is a hodgepodge of commented out stuff and unnecessary commands from prior debugging attempts when I thought it might have been a plain tuning issue)

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: after trying a last few shot-in-the-dark the torque mode parameters with no joy, I switched the servo to velocity control and all of a sudden everything works. No more wrong direction on polarity flipping, and tuning the PID parameters works a treat in Kmotion. I will keep one axis in velocity mode with this motor/servo pairing and switch vendors for the remaining axes, I'm assuming that works well enough for coordinated motion since the Kflop will be getting the encoder feedback without needing to know the particulars of how the driver is controlling the motors?

If Leadshine ever gets back to me with a solution for torque mode control I will post it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming that works well enough for coordinated motion since the Kflop will be getting the encoder feedback without needing to know the particulars of how the driver is controlling the motors?
    Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but yes if all the axes are working correctly and following their trajectory then coordinated motion should be correct.

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: I ordered a Dyn4 drive and motor from DMM and sure enough it works great in torque mode, virtually plug and play with the Kanalog. I am going to test the servomotor from Leadshine on it and if it works switch to the DMM drivers entirely for commonality, hopefully saving myself some grief down the line, and maybe reuse the Leadshine controller someday on a grinder or drillpress or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by durundal View Post
    Update: I ordered a Dyn4 drive and motor from DMM and sure enough it works great in torque mode, virtually plug and play with the Kanalog. I am going to test the servomotor from Leadshine on it and if it works switch to the DMM drivers entirely for commonality, hopefully saving myself some grief down the line, and maybe reuse the Leadshine controller someday on a grinder or drillpress or something.
    Can you give us more details on how your using the DMM setup? Are you using step/dir or +/-10v? Tunning in kmotion or with the DMM drives? Im considering DMM motors/drives for an upcomming project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Can you give us more details on how your using the DMM setup? Are you using step/dir or +/-10v? Tunning in kmotion or with the DMM drives? Im considering DMM motors/drives for an upcomming project.
    I'm just using them as torque controllers, all the loop closing is in the Kflop. The only tuning related parameter that is active in the drives in torque mode is a simple filter that is meant for soft starts, and I have that set to be disabled. I am using +/10V control, the only minor quibble with the drives on that end is that they don't have any internal torque or speed limit functions, so that has to be taken care of on the Kflop side. Not a big deal, just would have been nice to have an extra level of protection if I fat finger a command someday. The drives seem well built for the price, and the motors too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by durundal View Post
    I'm just using them as torque controllers, all the loop closing is in the Kflop. The only tuning related parameter that is active in the drives in torque mode is a simple filter that is meant for soft starts, and I have that set to be disabled. I am using +/10V control, the only minor quibble with the drives on that end is that they don't have any internal torque or speed limit functions, so that has to be taken care of on the Kflop side. Not a big deal, just would have been nice to have an extra level of protection if I fat finger a command someday. The drives seem well built for the price, and the motors too.
    Good to hear thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, this is very interesting stuff, because the salesforce consulting rates route is now very common and helpful and you can take advantage of the great opportunity and improve the efficiency of both you and your client. And this would be valuable information for others in some other situation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Where to go from here: interfacing to Leadshine servo drive

In today's competitive business landscape, leveraging advanced technology solutions is crucial for success. Salesforce, a leader in customer relationship management (CRM) platforms, offers a wide range of powerful tools to streamline operations, enhance customer experiences, and drive business growth. However, implementing Salesforce and maximizing its potential can be complex. That's where Salesforce consulting services come in. With the guidance of experienced Salesforce consultants, businesses can harness the full power of the platform and achieve their strategic objectives.

Unlocking the Benefits of Salesforce Consulting:
    Salesforce Consulting services provide businesses with the expertise, insights, and guidance needed to optimize their Salesforce implementation. From initial planning and strategy to ongoing support and enhancements, partnering with a Salesforce consulting firm brings numerous benefits:

Tailored Solutions:
    Salesforce consultants work closely with businesses to understand their unique requirements, challenges, and goals. By gaining deep insights into your organization, consultants can tailor Salesforce to match your specific needs, ensuring that the platform aligns seamlessly with your workflows and processes.

Strategic Planning:
    A successful Salesforce implementation requires careful planning and a strategic approach. Salesforce consultants bring their experience and knowledge to the table, helping you define clear objectives, create a roadmap, and develop an implementation strategy that supports your long-term business goals.

Customization and Configuration:
    Salesforce is a highly customizable platform, offering a wide range of features and functionalities. Salesforce consultants have the expertise to configure and customize Salesforce to meet your specific needs, ensuring that the platform supports your unique business processes and workflows.

Integration with Existing Systems:
    Integrating Salesforce with your existing systems is essential for achieving a holistic view of your business operations. Salesforce consultants can seamlessly integrate Salesforce with other applications and databases, ensuring data consistency and enabling efficient data flow across your organization.

Training and Adoption:
    Adopting a new technology platform like Salesforce requires proper training and change management. Salesforce consultants can design and deliver comprehensive training programs to educate your employees on Salesforce functionality, best practices, and how to leverage the platform effectively. This helps drive user adoption and ensures that your team fully embraces the capabilities of Salesforce.

Ongoing Support and Enhancements:
    Salesforce consultants provide ongoing support to address any issues or challenges that may arise post-implementation. They also help businesses stay updated with the latest Salesforce releases and enhancements, ensuring that your Salesforce instance evolves alongside your changing business needs.

Salesforce consulting services are invaluable for businesses seeking to maximize the benefits of Salesforce and achieve their strategic objectives. From initial planning and implementation to ongoing support and enhancements, Salesforce consultants bring their expertise and industry best practices to ensure a successful Salesforce journey. By partnering with a trusted Salesforce consulting firm, businesses can unlock the full potential of the platform, streamline operations, and drive sustainable growth. Invest in Salesforce consulting today and embark on a transformative path to success.