KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS

Hey Thanks All for you replies,
    I've got an initial problem powering up my Servo, clearpath tecnics motor.

I get an error "automatic disconnect" when I plug in my ribbon cable to my single test motor. I looked up this error and it might have something to do with my kflop, J7 5+ v out to my motors pin to initalize. The motor needs 5+ volts to active it's onboard electronics and I have the digital ground pin going to the Motor's 5- v, the other pins. I'm not sure what Digital Ground means actually.

So the other pins from the J7 Kflop are to (STEP) 15,17,19,21 and (DIR) to 16,18,20,22 going to (motor direction) pin 3 and (motor Step) pin 4.

Kflop J7 23 +5volts out is dasiy chained to all motors pin 4, the ENABLE + and

Kflop pin 25 DIGITAL GROUND daisy chained to to all motors ENABLE -.

Somethings wrong...

KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS-capture-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toolbag33 View Post
    Hey Thanks All for you replies,
    I've got an initial problem powering up my Servo, clearpath tecnics motor.

I get an error "automatic disconnect" when I plug in my ribbon cable to my single test motor. I looked up this error and it might have something to do with my kflop, J7 5+ v out to my motors pin to initalize. The motor needs 5+ volts to active it's onboard electronics and I have the digital ground pin going to the Motor's 5- v, the other pins. I'm not sure what Digital Ground means actually.

So the other pins from the J7 Kflop are to (STEP) 15,17,19,21 and (DIR) to 16,18,20,22 going to (motor direction) pin 3 and (motor Step) pin 4.

Kflop J7 23 +5volts out is dasiy chained to all motors pin 4, the ENABLE + and

Kflop pin 25 DIGITAL GROUND daisy chained to to all motors ENABLE -.

Somethings wrong...

KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS-capture-jpg

Looks like one of the voltage supply pins was getting grounded out... oops.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay Some progress...

Channel 0, x axis, copied to c program and uploaded to Kflop,

Watch Limit, and stop when low checked. bit 8 and 9 for x axis. limit switches, Normally closed limit switches are plugged in and working.
    DIGITAL I/O SCREEN shows bit 8 and 9 floating on and off. will move commands work if my limits are triggered low? When I plug in one of my limits, it sends (in Digital/IO Screen) the 0 and bit high.

Channel 0, output channel 0, step/dir are pins 15,16.

My motor is enable 5v is good, motor is active.

configured and copied 4 axis, 0,1,2,3 to original "3axisint.c" file, renamed and uploaded...kflop power cycle.

console:
    MOVE0=500

gives motor no response,
    Please Help.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to clarify your wiring for one motor from your previous post -
    KFlop JP7 -> Motor
    15 (Step) -> 3 (Input A+)
    16 (Dir) -> 4 (Enable +)
    23 (5V) -> 4 (Enable +)
    25(GND) -> (Enable -)

I'm guessing Dir going to Enable is a typo, and should be 2 (Input B+)?
    In that case you need to connect 6 (Input B-) and 7 (Input A-) to Gnd. That's unless these drives have some additional circuitry where you don't need to connect the - terminals when not running differential signals.

Digital Ground, is a way of describing ground for low power circuits. Any grounds going to your drives control circuitry can be described as a digital ground, whereas the ground/0V for providing the main power for the drive, would typically be described as a power ground.

However, having just found a manual for the drives - https://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ser_manual.pdf
    I think you may need to wire them a bit differently. Connect 5V to 3 (Input A+) and 2 (Input B+), then connect 7 (Input A-) to 16 (dir), and 6 (Input B-) to 15 (step), and choose the correct number to run channel/axis0 using Open Collector mode. (Going by the step/dir mode info on page 101, you have your inputs mixed up)
    If you look at page 38 of the manual, and the NPN/Sinking *Open Collector* diagram, that's how you should be connecting things up, as that will give a higher voltage at the drive inputs, than the current LVTTL method you're using.

Regarding homing, are there any messages appearing in the console?
    Personally, I'd disable all the limit switches until you have motion, as it removes one potential problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Just to clarify your wiring for one motor from your previous post -
    KFlop JP7 -> Motor
    15 (Step) -> 3 (Input A+)
    16 (Dir) -> 4 (Enable +)
    23 (5V) -> 4 (Enable +)
    25(GND) -> (Enable -)

I'm guessing Dir going to Enable is a typo, and should be 2 (Input B+)?
    In that case you need to connect 6 (Input B-) and 7 (Input A-) to Gnd. That's unless these drives have some additional circuitry where you don't need to connect the - terminals when not running differential signals.

Digital Ground, is a way of describing ground for low power circuits. Any grounds going to your drives control circuitry can be described as a digital ground, whereas the ground/0V for providing the main power for the drive, would typically be described as a power ground.

However, having just found a manual for the drives - https://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ser_manual.pdf
    I think you may need to wire them a bit differently. Connect 5V to 3 (Input A+) and 2 (Input B+), then connect 7 (Input A-) to 16 (dir), and 6 (Input B-) to 15 (step), and choose the correct number to run channel/axis0 using Open Collector mode. (Going by the step/dir mode info on page 101, you have your inputs mixed up)
    If you look at page 38 of the manual, and the NPN/Sinking *Open Collector* diagram, that's how you should be connecting things up, as that will give a higher voltage at the drive inputs, than the current LVTTL method you're using.

Regarding homing, are there any messages appearing in the console?
    Personally, I'd disable all the limit switches until you have motion, as it removes one potential problem.
    Roger that on omitting the limit switches.
    No I meant 15/16 as step/dir respectively. These motors are designed to use Step and Direction specifically, I don't know what llttv or open collector means, but the kflop's step/dir tells me to use the 0-7 channels for open collector, which I'm using. I think I'm close, just missing one hidden thing.

to recap about my pins to the motor,

8, enable - > kflop pin Digital Ground 25. I called tecnics about this and yes the ground completes the 5v circuit, to enable the motor. With power the motor shaft fixes, and it's led blinks green as it should.
    4, enable + > 23
    3, direction > 16
    2, step > 15

I check and all my pins are correct. the limit switches are floating or doing something weird. I must be missing something on the Kflop side, I think my motor is connected correctly.

Thanks M_C

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

By Step/Dir pins being wrong, I meant on the Clearpath side.
    I've just double checked, and Input A (3&7) is Direction, and Input B (2&6) is Step.

LVTTL (Low Voltage Transistor Transistor Logic in case you're wondering what it means) is best thought of like a single pole double throw switch. One contact is connected to 3.3V, the other to 0V, and depending on the switch position, you either get 3.3V or 0V at the common/moving contact.

Open Collector, can be thought of like a single pole single throw switch, that either connects the output to 0V, or doesn't I.e. opens/breaks the circuit.

Now the inputs on the clearpath drives are optoisolated. You basically have a LED connected to the terminals for each input, and you need to get those LEDs to light up, so you have to connect both terminals. If you only connect one terminal, it's just like connecting only the positive or negative wire up to any bulb, it won't light up.
    Using LVTTL mode, you would need to connect the negative terminals to 0V, and the KFlop pins to the positive terminals, however the KFlop can only source 3.3V which is below the specified voltage for the Clearpath servos.
    Using Open Collector mode, you would connect the positive terminals to 5V, then connect the negative terminals to the KFlop, as then the clearpath inputs will get near the full 5V.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    By Step/Dir pins being wrong, I meant on the Clearpath side.
    I've just double checked, and Input A (3&7) is Direction, and Input B (2&6) is Step.

LVTTL (Low Voltage Transistor Transistor Logic in case you're wondering what it means) is best thought of like a single pole double throw switch. One contact is connected to 3.3V, the other to 0V, and depending on the switch position, you either get 3.3V or 0V at the common/moving contact.

Open Collector, can be thought of like a single pole single throw switch, that either connects the output to 0V, or doesn't I.e. opens/breaks the circuit.

Now the inputs on the clearpath drives are optoisolated. You basically have a LED connected to the terminals for each input, and you need to get those LEDs to light up, so you have to connect both terminals. If you only connect one terminal, it's just like connecting only the positive or negative wire up to any bulb, it won't light up.
    Using LVTTL mode, you would need to connect the negative terminals to 0V, and the KFlop pins to the positive terminals, however the KFlop can only source 3.3V which is below the specified voltage for the Clearpath servos.
    Using Open Collector mode, you would connect the positive terminals to 5V, then connect the negative terminals to the KFlop, as then the clearpath inputs will get near the full 5V.
    M_C,
    That makes perfect sense. I did know that these motors are optoisolated, I assumed it would use the ground, or enable- as the ground back. Guess I spend some more quality time with my molex crimper.
    I'll make one up and give it a try, and thanks very much for that explanation about the modes.

I believe I read open collector mode is best for opto circuits in the Kflop manual, and I already have those pins pinned out on my interconnect board.
    So the kflop sends a pulse by putting that step or direction pin high? And it completes the circuit for the LEDs?

Thanks!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris,

So the kflop sends a pulse by putting that step or direction pin high? And it completes the circuit for the LEDs?
    No. It sounds like you still don't get the concept. An "Open Collector" is like a switch that shorts a pin to GND. See this diagram in the manual you sent

KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS-opencollector-jpg

The V+ is the KFLOP +5V. Current flows from +5V through the ClearPath back to the KFLOP Step (or Dir) Open collector Pin which then opens/closes the current path to GND.

You probably won't need to add the resistor they recommend if your wiring is reasonably short.

HTH
    Regards

TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Chris,

No. It sounds like you still don't get the concept. An "Open Collector" is like a switch that shorts a pin to GND. See this diagram in the manual you sent

KFLOP SETUP, CHANNELS AND PINS-opencollector-jpg

The V+ is the KFLOP +5V. Current flows from +5V through the ClearPath back to the KFLOP Step (or Dir) Open collector Pin which then opens/closes the current path to GND.

You probably won't need to add the resistor they recommend if your wiring is reasonably short.

HTH
    Regards
    Okay, again Thanks All,
    But this is getting frustrating.

I have Clearpath Enable +, A+ and B+ all connected to Kflops 5v+,
    Then Enable - to Kflop Digital Ground
    Dir to A- ....kflop j7 15
    Step to B-....kflop j716
    Still no action.
    I've checked my pins, the connector spells out the pin numbers on the back of the mating connector.
    What the hell am I missing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris,

You now seem to have both signals properly wired as 5V Open Collector mode.

But I think you have Step and Dir reversed.

KFLOP JP7 Pin 15 is Step. JP7 Pin 16 is Dir.

See:
    Step and Direction Setup

Regards

TK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all for the help getting my motors moving.
    Now I'm trying to get the general i/o pins to turn on my spindle, coolant and maybe a setup to touch off my tool lengths. I'm not well versed in C, but can someone help me choosing the pins on the board to use, and how to related that to a c program already written?

Thanks,
    T

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi T,

Can you tell us what kind o spindle you have and how it is controlled? Do you intend to control the speed? Or just on/off? CW/CCW?

Do you have a electronic probe?

Regards

TK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast