Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit - Page 7

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Sent drives to DMM for inspection and possible repair. They said that the drive's Main Circuit can run of off single phase 240VAC or 3 Phase. Its not clear in the manual just what can be feed to drives. Will find out whats up in about a week.

On another note i have another isolation transformer question.
    I got a 240 isolation transformer line conditioner (big 100lbs). It is 208 or 240VAC input and 230VAC output. When checking voltage output at outlets on back of unit i get the total 240 Volts on one leg and other leg is a neutral. What do you use an output like this for? Or is only for UK devices?
    Was hoping to use it to isolate and condition my 240VAC input to machine for my logic circuits that use 240VAC and for my 120VAC isolation transformer.

Thanks for any info,
    Troy

www.tsjobshop.com, www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post

On another note i have another isolation transformer question.
    I got a 240 isolation transformer line conditioner (big 100lbs). It is 208 or 240VAC input and 230VAC output. When checking voltage output at outlets on back of unit i get the total 240 Volts on one leg and other leg is a neutral. What do you use an output like this for? Or is only for UK devices?
    Was hoping to use it to isolate and condition my 240VAC input to machine for my logic circuits that use 240VAC and for my 120VAC isolation transformer.

Thanks for any info,
    Troy
    Can you post a picture, that sounds like a constant voltage transformer. I'm not sure what you're calling a neutral, are you measuring to ground? If so that may mean that one leg is grounded, not necessarily a bad thing. It is common to ground one leg of a 230 V isolation transformer. Between the output legs you should see 230V, even if one is grounded.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

When checking from ground to horizontal blade of outlet it is 0volts. From horizontal leg to vertical leg of outlet is 236volts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tsi said it was made special for a lab... Think he said CEM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That should work fine for an isolation transformer. Just exactly what it's for, that one leg is grounded is fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Huh... Trying to wrap my head around how a 240 volts device would work on this. Where is the 2 legs of 120 volts@180 apart?

Downloads
    Uploads

It dawned on me that you will not read 240v without having the 2 legs of 120@180*apart. Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

You are over thinking this 240 in 230 out, there is no 115V. 115V would come from a center tap, which does not exist in this case. It's just a simple step down transformer. Used for isolating the ground on 230V instruments. With that plug configuration, it is designed for North American use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You are over thinking this 240 in 230 out, there is no 115V. 115V would come from a center tap, which does not exist in this case. It's just a simple step down transformer. Used for isolating the ground on 230V instruments. With that plug configuration, it is designed for North American use.
    So when connecting my 240volt to 120volt isolation transformer to the outputs of this 230V output transformer , its just L1 to L1 and L2 to L2?
    Something else,why is the Horizontal and Vertical slot of outlet on this unit switched? Is it because it was originally configured as 208volt input? One more ...is there anyway of finding what the taps are on this transformer? The wires are labeled but there is no diagram or pin out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, L1 to L1, L2 to L2

That is a standard 15 or 20 amp 240 volt receptacle configuration, designed for plugs that have both terminals horizontal (15 amp) or one vertical (20 amp) Unlike a 120 volt, there is no larger lug that is connected to neutral. You simply have two legs of a 240v circuit, there is no neutral.

You would have to check continuity on the input to figure out how it's wired. I can't find a wiring diagram. It may be a tri-voltage input, but I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Thanks a bunch for the help. I would not be able to do half this stuff with out people like you helping.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default E Stop Cicuits

Still waiting on what is happening with blown servo drives. And i have been looking at EStop circuits.
    Can one 24VDC relay or solid state relay be controlled by Kanalog's SWE pin and another output? Example: SWE pin would control the minus side of relay and a opto output or another Relay Driver output would control the positive side of relay.

Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Troy,

Yes we've added a topic in the wiki here:

Kanalog Hardware Info - Dynomotion

with this diagram:

Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-relaydriverandoptoinseries-png

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hay Tom,
    Awesome. Exactly what iam wanting to do.
    Also nice clear topic on wiki.
    Thanks,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Can the SWE pin be connected to more than 1 SSR?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah what Tom has in the Wiki is similar to what i mentioned earlier. This is how my machine is setup and it works well. No way anything can get power until init file is ran and that output gets turned on. And you can cut power to everything by turning off that output.

You might be able to run 2 SSRs in parallel. Depends how much current they draw. The opto outs are rated at 25ma as long as you dont exceed that you should be fine. They would probably even work ok in series.

Let us know about the DMM drive. Disappointing to hear it failed. I heard of a similar case a few months ago too. They look awesome and I was planning on going with DMM if anything died on my machine. But not so sure anymore now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

The SSRs are OPTO22 model DC60S5 and at 24VDC control the current draw is about 23 ma going by there formula. But can be limited by adding a resistor.

Control Current Calculation:
    All Opto 22 DC-controlled SSRs have a control circuit
    consisting of 1000 ohms in series with an Optocoupler LED.
    The LED will drop 1 volt, so the voltage across the internal
    resistor will be 1 volt less than the control voltage.

The control current (IC ) can be calculated from the control
    voltage ( VC) as follows:
    IC = (VC - 1)/1000

Examples:
    3 VDC control voltage:
    IC = (3 - 1)/1000 = 0.002 A (2 mA)

32 VDC control voltage:
    IC= (32 - 1)/1000 = 0.031 A (31 mA)

For control voltages above 32 VDC, an external resistor can be
    added in series with the SSR to limit the control current. Also, if
    the device driving the control current to the SSR is limited, you
    can limit the control current by using an external resistor

Ic = (Vc- 1)/ (Re + 1000)
    Re = [(Vc- 1)/(Ic)] -1000

To limit the control current to 2 mA, this simplifies to:
    Re = 500 (Vc- 3)

So do i just need a 500 ohms resistor and can connect SWE pin to 2 SSRs safely with a total current draw on pin of 4 ma?

It is looking like the DMM drives do not handle 240V 3 phase as a max voltage but 140?? All 3 drives are cooked . They are paying to have them shipped back to them and will be checking with there engineering to see what the facts are, as the manual and label on drives are not clear on it. I took them apart and looks like a Bridge Rectifier shorted out and blew up resistors, traces,capacitors.
    I ordered 2 more drives from CNC4PC and am waiting to hear if DMM is going to replace at least the 1.

DMM gave me better detail on setting up drives with 240VAC single phase only. Running them on single phase only limits them to 1500RPMs instead of the 3000RPMs thow This keeps up and i will be going another direction with DMM, as support on average has been 1 or 2 email responses a day and i have to keep emailing them to respond to previous email. They had no problem replying when i was asking about buying them. So i will be definitely posting results here and maybe other places if this doesn't straighten out.

Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

No it wouldnt be a 500 ohm resistor. The formula you posted is Re = 500 (Vc- 3) so it would be = 500 (24-3) or 10500 ohms for a 2mA load with 24 volt supply. This should be fine but personally id probably aim for somewhere in the middle of the range instead of the minimum the SSR will accept. A 5k resistor would give you 4mA, and two SSRs in parallel with one 5k resistor EACH would be 8mA.

I just had a look, DMMs website and specification section of manual is quite clear. it says Single/Three-Phase 110~240VAC ± 10%. But in the connection section of the manual it says three phase input max 140VAC. Thats crazy. They should have included those details on website and in specification section. They are basically saying the drive can take 240v three phase and then in one small section they say it can only take 140. I would be pissed. Their website says nothing about 1500 RPM with single phase? Thats also dissapointing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ya, i didnt see a * symbol so didnt know how formula was supposed to output. Noted on each SSR having 5K resistor.

The manual also is talking about H01 frame and not about the T01 frame?? DMM also agreed manual is confusing and told me that it is 140V RMS with a peak of 240V?? And a section in manual says 300V peak for all 3 frames, is this total of all 3 legs?? There is also other typos in manual. I was told the 1500 RPM was max. Was never answered if it is still 1.8Kw output with same rated torque. If they dont perform as i originally figured, then they need to either take them back or make up the difference in cost. Pissed is becoming an understatement at this point. Not so much because of cooked drives and misleading info but mostly because of them dragging there feet at responding to emails. Thinking i should have just went with some TECOs on Alibaba.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast