Looking for a program to use a touch probe to create a point cloud with KMotionCNC

Thread: Looking for a program to use a touch probe to create a point cloud with KMotionCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for a program to use a touch probe to create a point cloud with KMotionCNC

The last reason to keep Mach3 w/ 2010 Screen set on my machine since I switched to KMotionCNC is for the probing routines. I have figured out probing for offsets and centers but I am still not able to digitize a point cloud. I have not figured out how to write the data to a file. I have seen several posts regarding this issue but have not heard of any results. Anyone willing to share before I reinvent the wheel?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a program to use a touch probe to create a point cloud with KMotionCN

Hi JoeKumanchik.

I'm not aware of anything specifically but it shouldn't be too difficult to create. Can you be more specific? Do you plan to probe in z over an xy array of points? Always start probing from a fixed height? What output format do you require?

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a program to use a touch probe to create a point cloud with KMotionCN

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick response. You are correct, the plan is to probe in Z for an X Y array of points. The file type can be a simple .txt that has the X, Y, Z coordinates for each point of the array. And yes, the height of the Z would be fixed. My thought is to generate the probing array in G Code with a custom written M code to output the XYZ position when the probe switch trips.If I understand correctly, Kflop supports writing files but once the file is closed, opening it again would wriote over the old data.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi JoeKumanchik

One approach might be to define three M Codes. One Opens a file for writing. One Writes a xyz value to the file. One Closes the file.

Your GCode could then open the file, loop measuring all the points, then close the file.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tom, a quick test last night using this method looks promising. Very simple solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi if your using Mach3 I have allready made all the probes you should ever need including 4th axis with conversion to full point cloud
    search cnczone for "squirrel probes"

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information Squirrl_44. I will download and have a look. My goal is to replicate some of the probing routines found in the 2010 screen set into KmotionCNC but it is easy enough switch back to Mach3 to run digitizing routines until i figure it all out i n Kmotion