E-Stop Wiring?

Thread: E-Stop Wiring?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default E-Stop Wiring?

HI All,

Quick question about best way to wire up e-stop. Currently I have an estop chain consisting of Estop Buttons, Thermal switches on motors, Kanalog Watchdog. When these are all met it energizes the contactor supplying power to the Servo motors, spindle drive etc.

The issue I have is until Mach is up and enabled the servo's drift as the axis are not enabled. I am thinking of using one of the axis enable outputs from Mach/Kanalog as another condition in the estop chain. I already use the Zaxis enable output to drive a brake on the Z axis so I would have to use either the x or y (or both).

This does not seem quite right, is there a way to get a general e-stop output from Mach (like when you press ESC or press the reset button on screen?).

Any other e-stop suggestions.

Cheers

Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: E-Stop Wiring?

There is the proper accepted way with a E-stop/system start relay, this is responsible for disabling/removing power from all motive power devices.
    Also it advises the controller (e.g. Mach) that an E-stop has taken place or in effect.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

The way I was advised to do e-stop/enable circuits, was the E-stop circuit should be an entirely stand alone circuit, which ultimately removes power in a safe controlled way, so in the event the controller locked up, motion would still stop.

Then you have a separate software controlled enable circuit, which enables the drives.

And to avoid any problems with software fighting against hardware, you keep them separate. The controller does take an input from the E-stop circuit, so it knows if an E-stop has occurred, however it has no control over that circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is pretty much it, although there is a couple of additions can be made to the series E-Stop string as is done with just about all commercial CNC.
    That is to use a contact on the control relay to advise the controller that an E-Stop has taken place and also if the Controller itself is either off or not yet booted up, an output can be inserted in the string to hold off the E-stop relay until the control is ready, this would be the use of the charge pump on a Mach system.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Al, that's what the Kanalog Watchdog signal is that purplejeep/Chris mentions. During booting the Kanalog outputs are in an unknown state, so there's a FET output that only goes high once the Kanalog is fully powered and has been initialised by the KFlop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There is the proper accepted way with a E-stop/system start relay, this is responsible for disabling/removing power from all motive power devices.
    Also it advises the controller (e.g. Mach) that an E-stop has taken place or in effect.
    Al.
    This is almost exactly what I have using a 3 phase contactor between the isolation transformer and the Drives power supply. Aux contacts on this contactor feed a control signal back to Mach to indicate an Estop has occurred.

I do use the Kanalog watchdog and I guess what I am after is the Mach 3 charge pump signal equivalent from the Kanalog board to indicate Mach is up and operating. Does the chargepump signal drop when a software Estop is triggered in Mach 3 (either by hitting the ESC key or clicking on the reset button)?

Cheers

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

IIRC the Mach charge pump is on once the system has booted and loaded Mach, then stays on unless a PC system crash etc.
    If Kanalog has a similar function as the charge pump, it could be incorporated into the E-stop string where all sensors, switches, etc are all NAND'ed together.
    If you are getting servo drift before the system is enabled then they are not being controlled by the E. string.
    Ideally the power to the drives should be held off with the control E relay etc, but a bare minimum should be a drive disable input etc.
    Al..

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've just remember that Mach provides enable outputs. What you want to do is map one of those to a KFlop/Konnect output that controls the drive enables.

If you were to map it to something that controlled the E-stop circuit, you'd get a race situation, because Mach wouldn't enable as the E-stop circuit was triggered, and you couldn't un-trigger the circuit because mach hadn't enabled it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem is although both Mach and Kanalog are both up (watchdog is active) Mach is in reset on startup which leaves the drives disabled in Kanalog. This means that the axis have power as Kanalog is active but not controlling the outputs because of Mach 3's status thus allowing axis drift.

Need a good way to determine Mach 3 status and use that as part of the Estop chain, I can use one of the axis enable signals I am just wondering if there was a better way.

Cheers

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've just remember that Mach provides enable outputs. What you want to do is map one of those to a KFlop/Konnect output that controls the drive enables.

If you were to map it to something that controlled the E-stop circuit, you'd get a race situation, because Mach wouldn't enable as the E-stop circuit was triggered, and you couldn't un-trigger the circuit because mach hadn't enabled it.
    This is what i will do I guess, already using the zaxis enable to run a brake on that axis just wondered if there was a more system level output I could use instead of one mapped to a specific axis.

Cheers

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach 3 doesn't provide axis specific enables, it simply provides 6 enable signals that you can map to whatever port/pin you want.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I was a user of Mach, I would re-write a screen that did not have the on-screen E-stop button, it does not conform to typical CNC machine practice.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by purple_jeep View Post
    This is almost exactly what I have using a 3 phase contactor between the isolation transformer and the Drives power supply. Aux contacts on this contactor feed a control signal back to Mach to indicate an Estop has occurred.

I do use the Kanalog watchdog and I guess what I am after is the Mach 3 charge pump signal equivalent from the Kanalog board to indicate Mach is up and operating. Does the chargepump signal drop when a software Estop is triggered in Mach 3 (either by hitting the ESC key or clicking on the reset button)?

Cheers

Chris
    Just a suggestion, having a contactor between power supply and drives will allow drives to run until the capacitors in the power supply drain. This could be up to a couple of seconds or more depending on the system. Alot of damage can occur while waiting for this to happen. Would be nice for estop button to instantly disable drives without relying on contol software if possible.

Edit: I meant to say having a contactor between power supply and transformer like the origional poster said.

Last edited by mmurray70; 01-21-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Never seen that in practice, but the enable input to the drives could be activated at the same time if it is a concern.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I probably went overkill on the power supply on my first cnc project, a little taig mill. That thing would run for maybe 2-3 seconds after cutting power.

My last project was a Fadal VMC 4020 and this problem wasnt as bad but was definitely very noticable even on this machine. At one point i had it setup to simply cut power to power supply and an axis would run on considerably after. Especially noticeable if the axis was already up to speed in a rapid. I changed things so Estop disables drives and it stops right away now.

Downloads
    Uploads

On this system the power supply has the enable the individual drives do not (Allen Bradly 1389 chassis system). Also the power supply has a shunt resistor which I believe discharges the output on e stop.

Cheers

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

A complete estop circuit.

This has watchdog signal fed into bottom left hand corner, marked CPUMP
    Note that the left hand side of the circuit, is 5v and is 100% isolated from the right hand side by the 5v relay.

ESTOP is just that for EMERGENCIES - remove power. Not for normal stop as the next poster points out.
    An added feature to the above is an adjustable timer module to remove power a short time after estop.
    The there are the issues of a Z axis sagging under its own weight, needing a spring applied break.

I was just trying to give a still fairly simple, safe way to do estop circuit. This at least handles the case of a control cable being unplugged.
    There are still other issues, like the CPU detect whether this safety circuit is healthy... The list goes on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E-Stop Wiring?-charge-pump-estop-jpg  
    Last edited by neilw20; 01-22-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by purple_jeep View Post
    On this system the power supply has the enable the individual drives do not (Allen Bradly 1389 chassis system). Also the power supply has a shunt resistor which I believe discharges the output on e stop.

Cheers

Chris
    Before you end up with even more random suggestions, can you tell us a bit more about the drives?
    Like how does the power supply, and power enable work. Are there any other inputs for enable/stop/whatever?

With most servo systems, you ideally don't want to remove power immediately, but instead you want it to remain active for a second or two, so the drive remains powered until motion comes to a complete stop. Cutting power before motion stops, can lead to the drive faulting out, or simply disabling, allowing the servos to freewheel to a halt. There are delay relays available for this exact purpose.
    Most modern drives will usually have a Stop input, which is what you would normally use for an E-stop, as the input simply tells the drive to halt all motion, after which you can remove power. Do your drives have this ability?

Before activating the drives, you want them to be controlled before they get enabled I.e. you want the KFlop/Kanalog ready to control them prior to being enabled, otherwise they will drift.

The specifics of how you implement the above varies slightly depending on drive features/capability.