Need Help! KMotionCNC Rev 434e Freezing

Thread: KMotionCNC Rev 434e Freezing

Downloads
    Uploads

Question KMotionCNC Rev 434e Freezing

I am hoping someone else has had this issue and can tell me what needs to be removed, stopped, or tweaked when running KmotionCNC.

The problem: while running a CNC program, motion stops and the spindle remains running. KmotionCNC program is unresponsive. At this point I must restart the computer, restart the KmotionCNC program, and cycle power to the KFlop board. The machine must then be initialized, homed, and the program restarted. The problem is random as the same program can run just fine after. My thought is that the KmotionCNC program is actually becoming unresponsive first but I don't notice until the KFlop buffer empties and motion stops.

My Setup: Windows 7 pro 32 bit. The computer is running 2.33ghz, memory is maxed out for a 32 bit processor, and has plenty of HDD space. KmotionCNC version 434e with a bit of simple customization to the screen using the new screen creater software. Kflop and Konnect boards running 5 AutomationDirect stepper motor controllers. X, X Slaved, Y, Z, and A.

The problem became more frequent when I networked the machine computer to my desktop computer to simplify moving files from development to the machine. I have since removed this network and the problem has become less frequent. My machine was controlled by Mach3 in the past so I was painfully aware that you do not use the machine computer for anything but the machine but my experience with Kflop/KmotionCNC has been much different up until now.

I am not a computer pro by any means but I do believe a background program or service is crashing the program and I am hoping that a list of recommended computer tweaks exists to optimize KmotionCNC's ability to run uninterrupted.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: KMotionCNC Rev 434e Freezing

Does KMotionCNC display an error message and become responsive if you disconnect the USB cable?

Might be worth trying the 4.34f - http://dynomotion.com/Software/KMotion434f.exe
    Changes can be found at - http://dynomotion.com/Software/KMoti...%20Changes.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

This I do not know. Didn't think about the USB. I will give it a try. Unfortunately I don't know what triggers the problem so it may take some time to test. I will certainly install ver.434f. Best reason to switch from Mach3 to KmotionCNC is it is still actively being improved and supported.

Thanks for the response and I will post any findings

Downloads
    Uploads

The reason I suggest to try unplugging the USB when the problem happens, is if the USB interface locks up, usually due to interference, unplugging the USB cable completely will cause KMotionCNC to realise the KFlop has been disconnected, become responsive again, and display a message box telling you the KFlop has been disconnected. At that point, plugging the KFlop back in will usually recover things, and hitting Cycle Start will get things running again.

The usual fix for USB interference problems is a ferrite bead added to the USB cable, but I can't remember the details of the recommended part.

Downloads
    Uploads

That makes sense. Of the last few freeze ups I had just before Christmas, no error is displayed but I did not think to unplug the USB cable. I did replace the USB cable a couple months ago when I finished the control cabinet. I will be installing version 4.34f tonight. I will try to get it to lock up once I'm done.
    Thanks again for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen this before. Get yourself a USB isolator and two EMI donuts for the ends of your shielded USB cable and this issue will disappear. The issue is caused by EMI interference from VFD and spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help with this issue. I added a better quality USB cable inside the control box. one with ferrite cores on each end. The problem has not reappeared yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe if it pops up again, get yourself a USB isolator, they cost about $20 and work miracles. You will notice as the spindle turns higher RPMs the amount of noise generated gets greater, so something it appears all is good and sudden you go to a higher RPM an it reappears.

Russ