Need Help! New system hardware selection Kflop

Thread: New system hardware selection Kflop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New system hardware selection Kflop

Hello,

I am building a new machine and I intend on using the Kflop as the controller.

I am using the following equipment.

4 teknic clearpath SD servos
    Wired mpg
    Spindle with analog speed control 0-10v

I am trying to find out the best hardware / interface equipment to use without having a ton of unused features left. Originally I thought I would just use a Kflop and kanalog. After some reading it seems that the kanalog is actually counter productive with my system due to the drives using step and direction inputs. I would greatly appreciate some equipment selection assistance and advise.

Thanks,

Dave

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New system hardware selection Kflop

What kind of drive is on the spindle?
    The reason I ask, is with certain types the 0-10V input is around mains voltage, so you have to use an isolated 0-10V source. This is achievable using a Konnect board, and there is an example in the help/manual.

MPG and step/dir can be handled directly from the KFlop, however you may want to add differential receivers/transmitters to improve noise immunity.

I've just went through a similar decision for a step/dir machine, and ended up with a KFlop+Kanalog+Konnect. The reasons being I may want to upgrade to analogue servos at some point in the future, I'm going to be using two of the analogue inputs for a SSO and FRO pots, as well as one for an analogue output absolute encoder to detect the tool changer position. The Konnect gives me the extra I/O I need for the tool changer and control panel, as well as giving me an isolated 0-10V source for the spindle drive.
    For now, I've also created a Kflop to differential step/dir convertor to maximise noise immunity for the stepper drives. Details can be found over on the Yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/13790
    If you'd like a board, give me a shout as I've got another 9 of them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What kind of drive is on the spindle?
    The reason I ask, is with certain types the 0-10V input is around mains voltage, so you have to use an isolated 0-10V source. This is achievable using a Konnect board, and there is an example in the help/manual.

MPG and step/dir can be handled directly from the KFlop, however you may want to add differential receivers/transmitters to improve noise immunity.

I've just went through a similar decision for a step/dir machine, and ended up with a KFlop+Kanalog+Konnect. The reasons being I may want to upgrade to analogue servos at some point in the future, I'm going to be using two of the analogue inputs for a SSO and FRO pots, as well as one for an analogue output absolute encoder to detect the tool changer position. The Konnect gives me the extra I/O I need for the tool changer and control panel, as well as giving me an isolated 0-10V source for the spindle drive.
    For now, I've also created a Kflop to differential step/dir convertor to maximise noise immunity for the stepper drives. Details can be found over on the Yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/13790
    If you'd like a board, give me a shout as I've got another 9 of them.
    The spindle is a 500w brushless from a little machine shop 3990. The manual speed control is converted using their CNC spindle control upgrade kit. PN 4213. I will look up the help file on the konnect and check out what you were saying about mains 0-10 and isolated 0-10. I like the idea of having the option for SEO and FRO as well. How did you handle wiring you step/dir signals while using the kanalog board. I may be interested in one of your boards, how well would they work with the teknic servos I selected?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's a brushless spindle, I'd guess the 0-10V input will not be at mains voltage, however it would be best to confirm that.
    It's DC brushed spindles controlled via SCR type drives (KBIC being a common example) that due to the circuit design, the 0-10V control is at near mains voltage.

Connector JP5 on the KFlop contains 4 bi-directional pins, that can be configured as general purpose I/O, step/dir output, or encoder input. With a Kanalog fitted, the connector is used for the last 4 of the encoder inputs. Instead of connecting the Kanalog to the connector, I connected my differential driver board to it, and configure the step/dir channels to JP5.
    The other option is to multiplex the first 4 step/dir outputs across to JP4 or JP6, which means you the Kanalog can remain fully connected, however I'm not sure if that means you lose the first 4 encoder inputs on the Kanalog. Perhaps Tom can clarify that.

Whether differential signals will be any use for you will depend on your drives. Do you have a manual for the servo drives?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do not have the spindle control kit yet, I will definitely validate whether or not the 0-10v aperates near mains voltages when the unit arrives. The datasheet for the spindle controller is herehttps://littlemachineshop.com/instru...UpgradeKit.pdf.

For the sake of learning, what could i use to isolate the 0-10 and still use the konnect board? I am leaning towards starting with a Kflop+Konnect and adding the Kanalog when my requirements grow.

The servo drives are from teknic and the manual is herehttps://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ser_manual.pdf.

What would you recommend to use between the Kflop and the servo inputs?

I really appreciate all the help you have provided, thank you very much.

-Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

To isolate a 0-10V and still use the Konnect, you'd have to use a signal isolator. They are available as I was looking at them last month, but here in the UK, the only ones I could find were over £150.

Have a read of this thread over on the yahoo group regarding ClearPath servos- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/13936
    I've not personally seen any kind of CNC machine build thread where somebody has used them, so I'm not sure just how low a voltage you could get away with.
    I think if I was to use them, given the fact the step/dir signals have to reach the motor themselves, I'd look at making up some kind of driver board that would take the step/dir signals and drive them using a 12-24V source.
    It is noted in the manual that they're not capable of using a differential signal source.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of driving the step and direction at a higher voltage. I was originally planning on running them direct to the Kflop into open collector pins at 5v, however I feel like there should be some isolation between the kflop and the drives itself and I haven't figured out a solution. It would be nice if the step and direction signals could be patched to the konnect so that the signals could be isolated. Do you know of something available to isolate and drive the step/dir signals at a higher voltage. I imagine that an optocoupler exists that is fast enough because the drive I am using states that the inputs are optoisolated, however I am not sure how to specify one for my needs.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just recently did a servo upgrade for a customer router using Teknic SD servos. As I recall the Teknic inputs are opto-isolated and are rated at 5V. My cable runs were about 30ft and I didn't have any problem running the machine with the 5V step & direction output directly from the Multicam controller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I just recently did a servo upgrade for a customer router using Teknic SD servos. As I recall the Teknic inputs are opto-isolated and are rated at 5V. My cable runs were about 30ft and I didn't have any problem running the machine with the 5V step & direction output directly from the Multicam controller.
    Fantastic! my runs are only 10ft, Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk