Kflop/kanalog combo

Thread: Kflop/kanalog combo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kflop/kanalog combo

Well ive finally bit the bullet and decided to get rid of the dynapath Delta 10 control on my Lagunmatic 110 cnc knee mill.
    After looking around and comparing prices,my choice was to go with Dynomotion. There are quite a few different options out there, but for me it came down to the product support, which ithere seems to be plenty of.
    My mill has baldor Dc servo's rated at 500oz/in, with what looks like Datametrics encoders and Sd 1525 amps, 4 horse spindle motor. The machine has been just sitting idle for many years and since i just sold my First manual mill, im in need of a running milling machine again.
    Now the fun begins,lol
    Ive read through some builds here and on other forums in trying to prepare myself for whats yet to come. Im a machinist by trade, have worked for five years as a 12 volt auto tech, now im a millwright apprentice at a company. I have reasonable knowlege of electronics but am no genius by any means.. My question to the more exoerienced on here is, what would the overal complexity of this project be on a scale of 1-10. Are there any builds on here similar to mine? Are there certain threads here i can focus on to help me along that are better to spend more time disecting than others?
    My set up will more or less consist of reusing eveything from the mill that works (servos,amps, power supply, etc)and whatever
    I need to keep in the cabinet, all else will be gone.
    I hope to get this running well before spring time,provided things dont get sideways. Lol
    Cheers for now
    Glen

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kflop/kanalog combo

Overall complexity? That's a good question. It really depends on your experience, but I would give it about a 3 on the complexity scale. Having said that, I do this stuff for a living. The wiring is easy, setup and motor tuning can be somewhat trying, but not bad.

Make sure you power up the axis motors for the first time with the belts off. Do not replace the belts until you are sure you have the motors under control. Run away motors is a common thing to happen on initial setup. Then make sure the E-stop and travel limits are working correctly before replacing the belts.

The old Anilam controller on my 2 axis machine went down right in the middle of a production run and I did the complete controls upgrade, including new linear magnetic scales in 1.5 days, didn't even take the job off of the table. I was in a hurry because the customer was waiting for the parts. My machine has the same motors and drives as yours. Took about an hour to gut the control panel. Then just install the new controller breakouts and start wiring.

There is nothing wrong with the Kflop/Kanalog system, and it's a good choice for your application. I used a Galil DMC-1846 motion controller in mine because I work with those all the time, and already had the software written for both the controller and the operator interface..

I'm just getting ready to post a build thread on that upgrade.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the tips Jim,much appreciated. I have a feeling the set up and tuning is going to give me the most trouble by far.
    I look forward to following your build as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well i finally got to start digging into this project. Most stuff had been gutted and started to run wiring to the KFLOP/KANALOG boards.
    Ive been searching through threads here for tips and such on other builds similar to mine, this one also http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynomo...33992-cnc.html.
    My machine has sd1525 analog drives. My drives are set up for differential input, from what Ive seen through my searches is that Kanalog is set up for single ended. Should i wire the positive to ground and the other inverted signal to an output on Kanalog?
    Also i have NC limit switches, does anyone know if i can wire them in series as in the drawings in this link? What about wiring my Ref axis switches, they are NO, can they also be wired in series and to what?
    I would like to use the buttons on my old delta 10 control for cycle start, coolant, jog, e-stop etc,

Has anyone wired up a similar machine with analog drives/servo motors to KFLOP/Kanalog. I seem to be struggling fairly well with understanding what I/O connectors on my new boards to wire everything to and it does not help that i am missing two pages from my mill wiring schematic but i feel that there is enough info in this forum to help if i search the right topics.
    Here is a picture of my start, i will be cleaning it up inside somewhat when i finial wire it all and install a new VFD.
    I hope to draw up a new wiring schematic and post it here for anyone else in the future who does a similar retrofit once completed .Kflop/kanalog combo-mill-cabinet-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine has sd1525 analog drives. My drives are set up for differential input, from what Ive seen through my searches is that Kanalog is set up for single ended. Should i wire the positive to ground and the other inverted signal to an output on Kanalog?
    It would be more logical to connect the negative to Kanalog GND and the positive to a Kanalog DAC

Also i have NC limit switches, does anyone know if i can wire them in series as in the drawings in this link? What about wiring my Ref axis switches, they are NO, can they also be wired in series and to what?
    I would like to use the buttons on my old delta 10 control for cycle start, coolant, jog, e-stop etc,
    Kanalog has 8 24V Opto Isolated inputs. Think of those like 24V Light bulbs that need to be powered to activate. To combine NC switches together they would be wired in series so that if any one opens the signal changes. NO switches would need to be wired in parallel so if any switch closes the signal changes. The signal polarity can be configured either way in software. If possible keep at least the + and - Limits separated so the system can know which direction it can move to get out of the limit.

Limits, Home sensors, push buttons can be wired to any Inputs as they arre all handled in software.

You might consider adding an additional Konnect for 32 more 24V Opto Isolated Inputs.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply Tom.
    My hope is to get it wired correctly ,then try to servo each axis one at a time. Once i know everything works, i definitely will want to add a Konnect to be able to wire in extra switches etc and perhaps add a fourth axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, a whole year and just starting back at this project.....
    .Currently I have all the limit switches wired to kanalog opto inputs, I wired all the positive together/negative together and then the three home switched as one also . Each set is wired to individual opto input on JP15.
    Encoders are all wired as well as the marker signals. I'm getting there but will have a ton more issues and questions I'm sure, I'm hoping to get this running before the mill gets so old it physically falls or rots apart. LoL

Ive been working on the machine on relay and trying to figure out how to wire It up to kanalog with the estop included somehow.
    This is the machine on relay Kflop/kanalog combo-machineonerelay1-jpg.
    From what I can understand the small yellow and blue wire is for the coil to energize so I will use SWE as the trigger for this to energize. From what I have searched through the forums, I will need to use a low signal relay with 24vdc supplied to be able to use SWE and activate this relay, can anyone confirm if a primary signal relay Is needed?

The three small wires(red/wht/grn) are connected to the amps and sit at ground at rest(as I think), same as the larger gauge blue wire coming off this relay. The 3 small wires go to the amps and are on the remote shutdown pins, the larger gauge blue is wired to the x drive and is on the power supply common /ground , according to my manual for the drives.
    From what I can understand is once the relay coil is activated, wire # 27 at the relay top is then snapped NC( with common/purple wire on relay bottom) and 24 volts will flow(if 24 vdc is applied to the small purple wire on relay bottom row) and that will feed the power to machine on buttons and I believe goes through the lube level switch .
    I want to wire in my estop and maybe the "machine on" PB into this relay but I cant seem to figure out how to run the wiring for this to kanalog and associated items. I'm thinking I would need to wire the estop, machine on PB into this small purple trigger so once Machine on PB Is pushed power will then flow through any switches included. This 24vdc flows through the # 27 wire at the top of the relay but also branches off to a SSR which once triggered with 3-28 vdc lets AC power flow through the SSR and into the amps etc., so that is why I'm thinking the estop should be wired into this circuit?
    Can anyone fire off some ideas on how to do this or even a drawing would be helpful to wrap my add mind around this .

Also, what kinds of machine items are people using the opto outputs for, just off hand.

Last edited by madmachinist77; 06-02-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi madmachinist77,

I can't really follow that. If you make a diagram that might help with a discussion. A photo isn't very helpful.

Also try to clearly state what it is you are trying to accomplish and how you expect the machine to operate. Maybe go step-by-step and try to get one thing working at a time.

Sometimes systems have basically a latching relay where a number of NC contacts in series determine whether the machine can be enabled or not. If everything is "ok" and an enable button is pushed then the relay turns on to enable the system. One of the NO relay contacts is wired in parallel with the enable button so once enabled the operator no longer has to hold the enable push button in. The Relay latches on. If anything becomes "not ok" the relay goes off and can't come back on, even if everything becomes ok, until the operator pushes the enable button. Is this how you were thinking things should work?

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com