New Konnect question

Thread: New Konnect question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Konnect question

I recently bought a Konnect board and what to know how to wire a touch plate. Two questions:

First, while I had the board ordered I temporarily wired a touch plate into JP4 pin 15 per this suggestion from an older thread on Yahoo:

You should ground the case of the router. Then attach a stiff pullup resistor (300 ohms or so) between 3.3V and any unused I/O, and configure that I/O as an input. Connect that I/O to your touchplate. When the tool touches the touchplate, the input will go low.
    Tom replied to the above post saying yes, but add a resistor or something for protection. Naturally I didn't do that as the above worked just fine. Until it didn't. Now when in KMotion.exe, bits 26 - 35 seemingly randomly toggle on and off. Some are permanently in checked state. Did I do permanent damage to the board?

I have been using the router w/o touch plate successfully so I know everything else works.

Second question:

How can I wire a touch plate to my Konnect? Hopefully without damaging anything. I was planning on doing the same type of configuration, but I don't want to take any chances with my brand new I/0 board. I have a separate 24v power supply if need be, or I can pull 12v from my main power supply. I have an assortment of resistors also.

I have added

InitAux();AddKonnect(0,&VirtualBits,VirtualBitsEx) ;

to the beginning of my init file. When I go into .exe I can toggle the outputs of Konnect and the corresponding LED will toggle on and off. Toggling the virtual bits on the input side don't do anything though.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Konnect question

Hi Eddard_Stark,

Now when in KMotion.exe, bits 26 - 35 seemingly randomly toggle on and off. Some are permanently in checked state. Did I do permanent damage to the board?
    Try disconnecting everything from KFLOP. Cycle Power on KFLOP to place KFLOP in a default un-configured state. Do not run any configuration program or download any configuration. Can you set its 26-35 as Outputs and toggle them individually on an off? If not then KFLOP may be damaged.

The 24V Konnect Inputs shouldn't be susceptible to damage from a few volts of ground noise like a KFLOP input would be. Something like this should work:
    New Konnect question-konnecttouchplate-png
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

Thanks for the response.

I haven't checked for damage, but I wired a separate power supply @ 24.3v and put V+ to Com0 on connect. I connected V- on the power supply to my central ground in the box, which in turn is connected to the router. I then took a wire from Input 0 and touched it to the router and nothing happened. No LED, no toggle state in the I/O. So I disconnected V- from the ground and ran Input 0 directly to V- on the power supply. Again nothing.

I probed Com0 and in fact am getting ~+24V, so when I go directly to V- on the PS from Input0 shouldn't it signal?

Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

When I try and toggle the state of any input in Kmotion.exe it won't toggle. But any output will toggle and the corresponding LED lights up on Konnect. So I don't really know what's going on.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Eddard_Stark,

That should work. If you apply 24V across Com0 to Input0 the input LED should turn on regardless of the polarity. This should even work without power to KFLOP or Konnect. Are you sure you are on the right pins? Note that the screw terminals must be tightened for the screw to make electrical contact (do not just touch the top of a loose screw with a wire or probe).

It doesn't make logical sense to try to toggle an input on and off. Its state is determined by the external signal. So it makes sense that they do not change (that is a good thing).

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tested the board as you described and everything checked out.

After some trouble shooting and more than a few curse words it (most were uttered once I figured out what I had done wrong in the first place) turns out my 120V AC line to the dedicated I/0 24V power supply was too close to a digital ground which connected a step to analog converter to digital ground on JP4. Fixing that solved the random I/O toggle issue I mentioned in OP as well as a new seemingly random spindle speed control issue that just cropped up yesterday.

I am in the middle of a large job so I can't experiment with Konnect any more right now. Thanks as usual for the fantastic support.