Need Help! Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop

Thread: Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop

Help! I've inherited a system that uses the I/O ports on a KFlop board to control a beefy servo controller (H2N-TD). The servo is running just fine in the current configuration as shown in the circuit diagram below. Due to the need for a bunch of ADC channels, we decided to add the KAnalog board to the configuration, but this means losing the JP7 connector that's running the servos. No problem, there's new Encoder channels on the KAnalog! Is it as easy as mapping these encoder pins in the bottom diagram, or do I need to reconfigure my servo controller?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop-kflop-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop

Hi kash4kev,

No that is pretty much all wrong.

Even in the first case it is not good to short the - encoder outputs to GND. That could damage the Drive's outputs. It would have been better to leave those disconnected.

Kanalog doesn't have any Step/Dir outputs. The differential encoder inputs can not be used as Step/Dir outputs. Kanalog does have differential encoder inputs. So connect the Drive's differential encoder outputs to the Kanalog differential encoder inputs A+ to A+, A- to A-, B+ to B+, B- to B-.

How many Axes do you have? If 4 or less you might use the Step/Dir Outputs on KFLOP JP5. See:
    Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications
    Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom. Thanks for the reply. I figured there was some issues with even the KFlop wiring.

As I mentioned, I inherited this wiring, and as the motors step, I presumed it was wired correctly

As for your questions - I have the need for 6 Axis in total. We also need a bunch of ADC's, hence the addition of the KAnalog board.

- -

To reiterate your solution:

1) Disconnect the JP5 from the KAnalog.

2) Wire all my servo controllers as all four wires per motor (A0+, A0-, B0+, B0-)

3) Connect the Step/Direction lines to now free JP5 - do this for the first 4 motors and use JP6 for the last two motors.

4) Re-tune all the stepping Acceleration/Velocity values for all channels.

Does this sound right?

Thanks, Kev

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kev,

Closer but not quite right. The problem is that JP5 needs to be connected to Kanalog to receive the 4 encoders connected to Kanalog JP2. Because you need 6 differential encoder inputs you will need to make use of Kanalog JP1 and half of Kanalog JP2. In this case you will need to leave the first 4 wires of KFLOP JP5 connected to Kanalog. This will leave only 2 Axes of Step/Dir output available on KFLOP JP5. You will then need to use 2 Step/Dir Outputs on KFLOP JP4 and 2 Step/Dir Outputs on KFLOP JP6.

Also one of the Step/Dir Outputs on each of JP4 and JP6 will need to work in LVTTL mode as they have 150ohm pull down resistors. It might work directly connected or may not. You may need to add a 3rd party line driver module for those.

Hope this is clear.
    Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again - it's making a bit more sense. It's seeming that adding the KAnalog board is making things just a tad more difficult, but it's exposed the flaws in the original execution. We've been getting some slippage in the overall movement and I'm going to blame that on the grounded A0- and B0- lines. and the driving of 0B+ line with the A0-.

Anyway, here's my modified circuit:

Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop-modified-kanalog-circuit-png

I'll set the KFlop to Mux=1 as per: StepAndDirection/StepAndDir.htm

The Step/Direction bits will now be on the KFlop JP4. JP6. I'll need JP9/JP5 in place to pass Kanalog/JP2 signals back to the KFlop, right? Where do places the Step/Direction for my last two motors?

Thanks, Kev

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kev,

You will need to split the signals in the KFLOP JP5 cable so only 4 of the 8 wires go to Kanalog. Connect the remaining 4 to your drives.

Also it might work better connecting the Drive + signals to +3.3V and connect the KFLOP Step/Dir pins to the Drive - signals.

Assume that KFLOP Output pins drive LVTTL signals (basically from 0.4V max low to 2.4V min high).

As shown in your wiring case 0.4V relative to GND will certainly turn the input off. But the 2.4V signal may not be enough to turn the input on.

However the 2nd method will drive 3.3 - 0.4 = 2.9V which is more likely to turn the input on. when the signal goes high (3.3V - 2.4 = 0.9) is likely to still turn the input off.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

We've decided to use both the KAnalog board and KFlop board due to some of our I/O requirements - we need a few ADC's and 6 motors with Encoder <-> Step/Dir. 4 of those motors are controlled with the H2N/H3N Servo Drivers. The other two motors are type-23 and will be controlled by the KStep. We're attaching encoders to them so they form a feedback for precision.

Here's an overview of the circuit:

Adding a KAnalog to a KFlop-dome-printer-overview-png

I think I'm running into an issue with this configuration though: since my encoder inputs are coming into the KAnalog board, only those on JP1 are being passed back to the KFlop! The encoder signals on J2 of the KAnalog should be going to the KFlop via the KAnalog JP9 -> KFlop JP5 link, but this connector is hogged by the KFlop/KStep output stepping data.

Where should the A/B 4 & 5 encoder lines go in this scenario? There seems to be a lot of I/O, but very few configurations available in the firmware. I'm forced to use "mux=1" to get the stepping signals off of the KFlop JP7 onto the JP4/6 connectors due to the use of the KAnalog board.

Is there any wiring examples on the Dynomotion site that would point me in the right directions/

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Cheers, Kev

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kev,

In this case I believe the only solution is to split the JP5 cable from KFLOP. Leave pins 1-4 connected to KStep as your diagram shows. In this case KStep Motors 0 and 1 will still function. Re-rout remaining pins 5-8 to Kanalog JP9. In that way half of Kanalog JP2 will work for the 2 more encoders that you need.

HTH
    Regards

Regards