Specific encoders to use with KFLOP & KSTEP?

Thread: Specific encoders to use with KFLOP & KSTEP?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Specific encoders to use with KFLOP & KSTEP?

I have been trying to search for specific recommendations for encoders that will work with just a KFLOP and KSTEP board combo to provide a closed loop stepper solution.

Most of what I am working on falls in the NEMA 23 size class. All are relatively low RPM applications, so the torque advantages of steppers at low RPMs is preferable to using geared down servos. Most the steppers I am using are 1.8°/200 steps per rev.

Can anybody suggest specific encoder models / part numbers they know will work with the KFLOP/KSTEP combination?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Specific encoders to use with KFLOP & KSTEP?

Quote Originally Posted by Epicycloid View Post
    I have been trying to search for specific recommendations for encoders that will work with just a KFLOP and KSTEP board combo to provide a closed loop stepper solution.

Most of what I am working on falls in the NEMA 23 size class. All are relatively low RPM applications, so the torque advantages of steppers at low RPMs is preferable to using geared down servos. .
    If using encoder feedback I would use servo's every time, BTW NEMA is not an indication of motor torque, that is just a mounting frame size, the torque can will depend on motor length etc, several torque sizes can exist for a given NEMA mounting, in both steppers and Servo's.
    Also a common myth that servo's require gearing, servo motors like many motors have maximum torque at zero RPM.
    I agree that for the same envelope size, steppers do have an edge over servo's, torque wise.
    But servo's can be found with the same torque as steppers for a given NEMA mounting if searched for.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, but that doesn't help. I am looking for specific, compatible part numbers, for encoders that are known to work with the KFLOP/KSTEP board combination, to run steppers in a closed loop solution.

I only used the NEMA 23 as a general indication of the sizes of motors I am typically using (since same-type motors, of a given frame size, fall in a general torque range). I am familiar with the differences between the physical sizes and torque ratings. The current and voltage demands to get similar, low-speed, high-torque performance out of servos compared to steppers is what is driving my low-speed application towards steppers rather than servos.

If anyone is using or can recommend compatible encoders I would appreciate any leads.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Epicycloid,

You might read:
    Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications

Most any 5V Incremental Digital Encoders should work. USDigital.com is a source. The quadrature count rate shouldn't exceed 1million quadrature counts per second.

KFLOP itself only has single ended inputs, but I would suggest purchasing differential encoders, as the drive is stronger and if you have issues you can go differential later.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com