K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6809
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    I've officially lost my mind, and started a brand--new KFlop-based CNC mill controller app. I wrote the first one about 3-4 years ago, right after I bought my first KFlop. It's been wonderful, but there are many things about the code, and the architecture, that are far from ideal. So, I've decided it's time to start over, and hopefully do it right this time. So far, I've been trying to get a handle on the functionality to be included, and come up with a VERY rough UI concept mock-up, focused on making sure I have the right functionality, ignoring appearance for now, before getting into the nuts and bolts of coding.


    Below is what I have so far. A tab-based main window, with a few tabs for logical operation groups: Machine and job set, running the job, tool library management, and tool setup for each job (mapping tools to ATC slots, doing logical-physical mapping of tools, flagging tools that must be manually loaded, etc.). The Timers page will keep track of job run-times, spindle on-time, and other similar things I find handy when doing a production run.


    Comments?

    K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...-untitled-jpg

    Regards,
    Ray L.


    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...-untitled-jpg  


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    69
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Looks fantastic to me, great job.

    One of my main complains with the KMotionCNC screen are those jog buttons - I've made my own GUI that's cut down on that, but it's only really applicable for the machine it's driving (i.e. not a general purpose CNC GUI)

    One suggestion though: PLEASE include an option for a metric tool setup. Having to convert my steps/mm and the like in the tool setup screen into inches seems amazingly archaic in this day and age!!


    Very much looking forward to seeing this progress...



  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6809
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Quote Originally Posted by embraced View Post
    Looks fantastic to me, great job.

    One of my main complains with the KMotionCNC screen are those jog buttons - I've made my own GUI that's cut down on that, but it's only really applicable for the machine it's driving (i.e. not a general purpose CNC GUI)

    One suggestion though: PLEASE include an option for a metric tool setup. Having to convert my steps/mm and the like in the tool setup screen into inches seems amazingly archaic in this day and age!!


    Very much looking forward to seeing this progress...
    Thanks. Metric/Imperial is certainly an easy enough thing to support, on a tool-by-tool basis if nothing else.

    I have no plans to include on-screen jog buttons. I've always found that to be, by far, the least convenient and functional possibly way to move a machine. A CNC machine without a pendant is little more than a very expensive paperweight to me.

    Regards,
    Ray L.



  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Is there any way that you could make it so you dont have to use a mouse? I really like how the eddingcnc gui is designed to replicate a professional machine but their control boards are really expensive and dont have anywhere near the options that kmotion does



  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6809
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Quote Originally Posted by Feist92 View Post
    Is there any way that you could make it so you dont have to use a mouse? I really like how the eddingcnc gui is designed to replicate a professional machine but their control boards are really expensive and dont have anywhere near the options that kmotion does
    Many years ago, when I was using Mach3, I thought a touch screen would be a great way to control the machine. So, I did a custom screen set that was almost entirely touch-controlled. It was a disaster. Touchscreens and wet/dirty fingers do NOT go well together. Doing any ikind of data entry with a touch-screen keypad is simply awful.

    Regards,
    Ray L.



  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1221
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Ray,

    This is looking great, wow it would be really nice to have the front end look similar to MACH4. Mach4 will the basic seem to work, fails to have many plugins that really make it fully functional. KmotionCNC seems extremely stable and with a super GUI front end it would be just amazing. I just love the fact when I tell my machine to do something in KmotionCNC it does just that none of the strange unexpected moves I often get from Mach3. The KFLOP is just very stable and predictable and the motion is smooth and much faster than the parallel port.

    Russ



  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6809
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Ray,

    This is looking great, wow it would be really nice to have the front end look similar to MACH4. Mach4 will the basic seem to work, fails to have many plugins that really make it fully functional. KmotionCNC seems extremely stable and with a super GUI front end it would be just amazing. I just love the fact when I tell my machine to do something in KmotionCNC it does just that none of the strange unexpected moves I often get from Mach3. The KFLOP is just very stable and predictable and the motion is smooth and much faster than the parallel port.

    Russ
    Exactly why I switched, and ditched M3ch3, three years ago. It's never once screwed up, where Mach3 was ALWAYS doing bizarre things on its own. The last few days I've had to work with Mach 3 again, to get my old knee mill running again so I can sell it. It has been incredibly painful! Mach3 really is a turd.... Mach4 might be ok if it's ever really read for prime time, but I half expect it will just fade off into the sunset, as there are other options coming on-line soon (like GrBL on RasberryPi), and Mach4 seems to be getting no traction at all.

    Regards,
    Ray L.



  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    ...... Touchscreens and wet/dirty fingers do NOT go well together.
    Regards,
    Ray L.

    Really, I have no issues at all with RESISTIVE touch but CAPACITIVE is a disaster.

    Cheers
    Bengt



  9. #9
    Registered tmarks11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1356
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Make it bulletproof and sell it to Novakon to offer as an alternative to a mach3 setup?

    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.


  10. #10
    Registered Need TECH Help!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    307
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Hi Ray,
    Looking very nice and clean. Is this a altered KmotionCNC screen or totally new? To me this was the only reason i waited so long to use KmotionCNC , was the screen layout. I have since dove in, bugged Tom for help and started learning how to change KmotionCNC screen layout. Wish i would have done it a long time ago.
    Again, nice work Ray.

    Troy

    http://www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com/


  11. #11
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6809
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Hi Ray,
    Looking very nice and clean. Is this a altered KmotionCNC screen or totally new? To me this was the only reason i waited so long to use KmotionCNC , was the screen layout. I have since dove in, bugged Tom for help and started learning how to change KmotionCNC screen layout. Wish i would have done it a long time ago.
    Again, nice work Ray.

    Troy
    Completely new, written in c#.

    Regards,
    Ray L.



  12. #12
    Gold Member TomKerekes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2289
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...

    BTW Here is one of the best control panels for KMotionCNC that I've seen. Alexander does such excellent work.



    Regards

    TK
    http://dynomotion.com


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...
K-Flop-Based CNC Mill Controller App, v2.0...