Kflop for 3d printing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kflop for 3d printing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kflop for 3d printing

Hello Everyone,

I've just got a kflop and kstep to control my 5 axis home made 3dprinter. Basically, I could figure out to connect 4 motors to kstep and connect kstep to my kflop. I'm using KmotionCNC to write the G-code for primitive 2.5d geometries. So far I was able to control 3 axis(X,Y,Z) via gcode, but can not make the 4th stepper working.
    Struggling several days on this, I appreciate any suggestion and recommendation.

Thank you again,
    rf

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kflop for 3d printing

Hi rf,

What have you tried? What are you trying to do? Drive the 4th axis as "A"? Did you configure the 4th axis? Did you add the 4th axis to the Coordinate motion system? Did you try InitKStep4Axis.c

Regards

TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi TK,

Thank you for the quick response.
    In general, I have a 3d printer with 2 extrusion systems. I'm trying to control xyz for root path planning which is fine right now. I also need to control 2 other extrusion systems with A and B. Those 2 are linear stepper motors which extrude clay.
    I added the 4th axis to the coordinate motion system using InitKStep4Axis.c, but when I execute the G-code the 4th axis(corresponded to A) do not show any response. The board sends some pulses to the motor, but it does not move.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi rf,

Before attempting to run GCode the first step would be to test if you can get the axis to move using the KMotion.exe Step Response Screen.

What do you mean by "board sends some pulses to the motor". If the motor just vibrates it might be possibly driven with too high of a velocity or acceleration. Otherwise that is usually an indication that one of the two coils is not being driven. This might be a bad motor, or wiring, or Axis drive. Try and do some troubleshooting steps to determine the problem.

Regards
    TK

TK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tom!

I figured it out It was due to the low feed rate in A axis. By adjusting the feed rate it works properly now.

I've just realized that the motors get really hot after a while they are working idle. Could it be due to motor lock during idle time? If yes, since I don't have much load on them is there any way that I can turn the brakes off?

My other question is how can I connect a 5th motor directly to the kflop board? I'm using all 4 I/Os of the kstep for other motors, is there also any way to add a 5th stepper motor directly to kflop? if do so, which jumper and pins should I use then? Do I need a separate driver for the 5th motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

HI rfv,

Yes steppers typically get hot whether running or holding poistion. You can disable KSTEP with I/O bit 45. The InitKStep4Axis.c should have a loop to disable KSTEP after a few seconds on no motion. There is of course a risk of loss of position when disabled.

Regards

TK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    HI rfv,

Yes steppers typically get hot whether running or holding poistion. You can disable KSTEP with I/O bit 45. The InitKStep4Axis.c should have a loop to disable KSTEP after a few seconds on no motion. There is of course a risk of loss of position when disabled.

Regards
    Hello Tom,

I'm sorry for the bother, but I'm also working on a 3D printer and I have some questions. If I want to use more than 4 motors, do I really have to get another Kstep to run the extra motors? Or is there a way for me to do it with only 1 Kstep? I'm asking because Kstep brings a C script to run 6 axis, so I'm assuming that there is a way to make the other 2 connections with only 1 Kstep. Sorry for the bother and for the sudden inconvenience.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi JoanelVR,

KStep can only drive 4 stepper motors. The 6 axis initialization program assumes you have 2 KSteps.

Regards

TK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wouldn't it be possible to use only 1 KStep and 2 regular stepper drivers?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that would also work.

Regards

TK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi JoanelVR,

KStep can only drive 4 stepper motors. The 6 axis initialization program assumes you have 2 KSteps.

Regards
    Thanks for the clarification Tom! What would you recommend for the connections of the 3D printer head? Do I have to connect the Nozzle thermocouple directly to the KFlop? Also, I know that I have to make it so that the temperature remains constant, so do I have to make a C script that would stabilize the temperature of the printer head when it decreases or increases? I'm sorry for all the questions, but they just gave me this project about a month and a half ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out. I didn't have any experience going into the project. Sorry for the bother and thanks for everything.

Regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi JoanelVR,

KFLOP/KStep doesn't have any thermocouple inputs. If you want KFLOP to control temperature you would need to get the temperature reading into KFLOP somehow. Or have the Temperature controlled externally. KStep does have an analog output. That might be used to set a temperature set point to an external temperature controller. Or by adding an external voltage comparator with the output fed back to KFLOP the analog output can be used to measure an external voltage by having KFLOP slowly vary the output voltage until the comparator switches.

Our Kanalog has analog inputs but that can't really be used easily with 2 KSteps and would be overkill to get one analog input.

Regards

TK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast