Daughter board for KAnalog

Thread: Daughter board for KAnalog

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Daughter board for KAnalog

Assume that I want to remove the screw terminals from the KAnalog. It is relatively easy to do as they simply plug into a .200 pitch 16 pin header.

Does anyone happen to know what connector I would use on the daughter board to allow it simply plug into the header? My thought is that the header would be on the bottom of each of the 6 potential daughter boards and the few components ... level translators, isolators, .100 pitch connectors, etc. ... on the top of the daughter board.

Hopefully something readily available from Mouser or Digikey would be nice.

Thanks,
    Arvid

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I remove pins such as these I usually use a vacuum bulb type de-soldering tool. A basic radio shack one will do fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by punisher454 View Post
    When I remove pins such as these I usually use a vacuum bulb type de-soldering tool. A basic radio shack one will do fine.
    Thanks for the quick response but there is no need to remove the header.

As you assumed, the .200 pitch 16 pin male header is soldered on to the KAnalog board. But the screw terminal assembly actually slips over the header pins ... think of the female 'pluggable screw terminal' assembly ... that is actually what they are called ... plugging into\onto the male header allowing connections to be made easily to the underlying header pins.

With very little effort the female 'pluggable screw terminal' can be 'unplugged' leaving just the .200 pitch 16 pin male header exposed. No modifications to the KAnalog need be made nor desired. With the male header exposed it makes a perfect place to attach and mount relatively simple 'pluggable' daughter boards.

Obviously you lose the advantage of the screw terminals but in some cases the lose would not be an issue.

So the question is 'anyone got a suggestion as to what female header might be appropriate for the daughter board?'

Arvid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok, misunderstood what you wanted to achieve.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would pass along what I have found so far.

czralzv suggest this ... 1935006 Phoenix Contact | 277-1621-ND | DigiKey ... might be the "pluggable screw terminal". Based on the picture this seems to be a reasonable conclusion.

If that is the case then the pin header that is on the board has a pitch of 5mm [.197 in] and 1.3mm [.051 in] pins.

A lot of searching suggests that there are two 'standard' pitches in that range ... 5mm [.197 in] and .200 inch [5.08mm]. Given that the total distance between the first and the last pin of a 16 pin header would be off by less than .05 of an inch I don't think it would make much difference which pitch was used for a daughter board but the 5mm would be preferred.

The 1.3mm pin appears to be unique to this line of devices as I can not find any other female connectors that accept that size pin.

Another consideration is the way the bottom of the "pluggable screw terminal" is shaped to "wrap" around the base of the pin header. When installed correctly the bottom rests on the PCB giving the whole thing stability rather than being "up in the air" and the pins providing 100% of the support and having to deal with the leverage forces that might be exerted on them.

The hunt continues as the solution does not readily jump from the Google searches.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a PC mount female header that will fit the terminal pins?
    If so look at 3M and Sullins type http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/CA2011/P0185.pdf
    They are .1" spacing, but it should be possible to adapt these to .2" by using every other pin?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If I understand correctly, you are looking for a PC mount female header that will fit the terminal pins?
    If so look at 3M and Sullins type http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/CA2011/P0185.pdf
    They are .1" spacing, but it should be possible to adapt these to .2" by using every other pin?
    Al.
    Al,

Thanks very much for bringing that up. It is exactly what I would be looking for if the pin size it plugged into were correct.

It seems like everything that has standard .1 [2.54mm] pitch is also expecting standard .025 [.64mm] pins but the existing pins are .051 [1.3mm] pins ... exactly twice the pin size possibly to go with the "exactly twice the size" pitch.

But I can not locate the "exactly twice the size" header that I thought would be so easy to find and an "exactly twice the size" hammer is not an option

Arvid

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    ... If that is the case then the pin header that is on the board has a pitch of 5mm [.197 in] and 1.3mm [.051 in] pins.

A lot of searching suggests that there are two 'standard' pitches in that range ... 5mm [.197 in] and .200 inch [5.08mm]. Given that the total distance between the first and the last pin of a 16 pin header would be off by less than .05 of an inch I don't think it would make much difference which pitch was used for a daughter board but the 5mm would be preferred. ...
    Thought I would pass along an update. I had to order some stuff from Digikey so I threw a 5mm [.197 in] and a .200 inch [5.08mm] terminal into the order just to see how well they might fit. Testing them indicates that (a) the header on the KFlop is definitely 5mm [.197 in] and (b) a single 16 position .200 inch [5.08mm] might fit but not nearly the way I would like it to.

I was able to find a part number ELFB16280 in the Amphenol catalog but the pitch turned out to be a show stopper. The only reason I mention it is that they are called "ELFB MALE (INVERTED) HEADER". All this time have have been searching for a "FEMALE" header when I should have been searching for a "MALE (INVERTED)" header .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Arvidj,

Sorry I don't know of any socket that will fit those. Here is the data sheet for the header:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20...Fs/1933325.pdf

As you stated they are 5mm pitch 1.3mm pins.

I'm sort of curious why you would need other interface components. The main idea behind Kanalog is to offer the opto isolation, encoder inputs, relay drivers, DACS, and screw terminals. If you aren't going to use those then maybe it would be better to just make your own BOB or something?

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Arvidj,

Sorry I don't know of any socket that will fit those. Here is the data sheet for the header:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20...Fs/1933325.pdf

As you stated they are 5mm pitch 1.3mm pins.

I'm sort of curious why you would need other interface components. The main idea behind Kanalog is to offer the opto isolation, encoder inputs, relay drivers, DACS, and screw terminals. If you aren't going to use those then maybe it would be better to just make your own BOB or something?

Regards
    Tom,

Thanks very much for the confirmation of the header information.

As to "Why?"

I agree completely that the plethora of electronic inputs and outputs available are more than enough to meet the needs. The minor issue I have is with the physical components ... the screw terminals.

The cables that I will be using are terminated with .100 pitch connectors. I think I would need to either:

(a) cut the connectors off and put ferrules on the stranded wire so they work well with the KAnalog screw connectors;

(b) make a short adapter cable with a .100 pitch connector on one end and then do the ferrules thing;

(c) made a daughter board that plugs into the KAnalog and has .100 pitch connectors on it.

Of the three options (a) and (b) ... at least in my mind ... bring up a vision of a 'rats nest of wiring' and the possibility of error with each connection having to be made individually to a screw terminal.

(c) seems to have the advantage of a cleaner implementation along with the ability to review and validate the circuit paths multiple times ... and etch them in copper ... before turning on the power.

It would also minimize the possibility of hooking something up incorrectly if the KFlop\KAnalog would need to be removed and reinstalled. I would simply unplug everything at the "well labeled for easy re-installation" .100 header level and move on.

The other minor item is that I do not have a high quality ferrule crimper on hand and ferrules for wire sizes less than 26 gauge seem to be as hard to find as the 5mm 1.3mm connector I am currently looking for.

Does any of this make sense?

It does bring up the question of "will this be a warranty issue?". I realize I am responsible for bad connections not matter how I go about creating them. But if I unplug the screw terminal connector from the KAnalog and plug a different connector onto the pin header will I void my warranty simply by performing that action?

Arvid

Downloads
    Uploads

My contention is that the less plugs/sockets/terminations the better.
    But what you may do is use the male pin headers I previously linked to, although they come in .1" spacing and you need 5mm.
    The single strips are notched to allow individual separation, you could mount these on a daughter board and space them accordingly to suit the Kanolog terminal entry.
    The pins would go under the terminal screws as a permanent attachment, and if required removing just unplug the whole terminal strip?
    Either side of the pages in the link show other makes, 3M etc.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Arvid,

That makes sense. I don't particularly like screw terminals either - but most of our Users do.

No you will not void your warranty if you plug something else onto the headers.

Good luck.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Arvid,

That makes sense. I don't particularly like screw terminals either - but most of our Users do.

No you will not void your warranty if you plug something else onto the headers.

Good luck.
    I am as close as I think I will ever get. I stumbled across this at Digikey ... OSTV7087150 On Shore Technology Inc | OSTV7087150-ND | DigiKey.

Based on the datasheet it looked like what I wanted. I tracked down a picture ... OSTV7XX7150 Terminal Block Pluggable Plug | On Shore Technology.

Goggling suggests that the only place that had any of them in stock was Digikey, and then only in the 8 pin version. I ordered a few to see if they might work. The pitch is perfect and they fit the pin header very nicely, with the only issue being that the housing has a little extra material on each end so two 8 pin plugs do not "automatically" fit in the space were a 16 pin plug should go. A very light touch with the belt sander on the appropriate ends of each pair of 8's will quickly resolve that issue.

My next step is the PC boards.

Arvid