Learning Kfloppery

Thread: Learning Kfloppery

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Learning Kfloppery

I've been having a ball with my new Kflop/Kanalog; mostly reading about getting started, where to begin, etc. I'm not even sure what the final configuration will look like but while I'm waiting on a bunch of parts I thought I'd get familiar with the software side of things.

I hope to end up with a cnc router (moving gantry, slaved axis) with Limit Switches and Homing switches; probably 8 mechanical limit switches and 4 Hall Effect homing switches. I'll be using simple steppers, open loop.

After reading a bunch of threads I 'think' I'll put:

--the 4 positive limit switches in series on one Opto input and
    --the 4 negative limit switches in series on a different Opto input
    (I can't remember why separating the pos and neg switches is good but I know I read it somewhere

--the 3 HE homing switches will be wired in parallel to another Opto input with
    --the 4th HE switch on the Slaved axis wired to yet another Opto input so the Slaved axis can be Auto-squared.

at least that's the plan at the moment, it changes frequently. LOL Eventually it might involve Modbus, rotary axis, etc.

My first 'gotcha' moment was when trying to coble up my first attempt at an init.c file. I set up all my (not yet built) axis info and saved all that axis info from the Configuration Screen to both a file on the hard drive and to the clipboard; the clipboard data for each axis was then pasted into a Notepad document. All the data was listed perfectly in the Notepad file but it wasn't in the C programming lanugage structured format like I see posted by others.

After some mumbling, googling, stout beverage and luck, I did manage to get it stored in the 'C' format by first saving each axis's data to the Kflop, then copying it to the clipboard. After storing the axis info (used the Download Channel button on the Config Screen) to the Kflop, the format of the saved data apparently changed from a simple text list to the C-formatted list. At least that's what I think I did to get it in the right format. I'm still very new at this and have lots to learn.

I just wanted to post that in case anyone else tries to make an init file without first writing to the Kflop. Since I'm just learning I thought I'd be safe and not overwrite anything on the Kflop. I was trying to be gentle and delicate with my new toy but in the recent words of Jack Hoffman, 'No guts no glory.' LOL

Next up for me is trying to get my head around the user interface and how it interacts with the software code, where to locate the code, etc. Fun fun fun. So far I've managed to toggle the onboard led's by hooking up a spare mechanical limit switch. Small steps, onward and upward....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

One question... why the Kanalog with steppers?
    Or is it just to get I/O?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, to be honest, I was't sure when I ordered it if I needed it or not. I knew I would eventually need a bunch of IO and the Opto inputs and outputs make it so easy.

There is also that rs232 port on the kanalog. I think there's some code around for running Modbus through it.

If I later want to add some feedback I'll be all set as well.

For just playing around on the bench to learn about it, I will say the screw terminals make it very user friendly and easy to wire up devices.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm wondering how tight the 24V max input spec on the Opto inputs is. Would a non-regulated 24 VDC power supply be too much if there was a little ripple or noise on the 24 ?

The main power supply I ordered ( http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/PS-15N70R.pdf ) has a non-regulated 2A power supply built in; I was hoping to dedicate it to just the Limit Switches and keep it separate from other loads.

If that's too close to the upper limit or too risky I'll either add a regulator or grab some other power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't answer for Dynomotion, but normally if inputs are simple Opto in nature, a regulated supply is not always required, as long as the voltage does not exceed the rating for the input/series resistor etc.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, I hadn't considered the built-in input Resistor power dissipation; we wouldn't want a meltdown. I wouldn't want it riding along at it's maximum rating, right on the edge anyway. I'll try for 12 or 18 volts or something similar. I've read higher voltages on limit switches might result in fewer false noise trips. That was the only reason I was thinking 24 volts. Thanks