Stepper Configuration and EStop

Thread: Stepper Configuration and EStop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Configuration and EStop

Alright. I got my KFlop/KStep setup over the weekend, so I naturally started goofing around with it.

For my CNC router that my KFlop/KStep setup is going on, I purchased Keling's 570oz NEMA 23 stepper motors. They're 5 amp motors with an inductance of 2.5mH. With the leadscrews I'm using, 250IPM is definitely obtainable with lots of torque on hand according to the graph on on Keling's web site. Given all that, the Antek 48v power supply I have on order should be close enough to the power requirement sweet spot for things to work great.

After hooking up the KFlop to a temporary 12 volt computer power supply that kicks out around 16 amps on the 12 volt bus, I started tinkering. I used the InitKStep3Axis.c with three steppers hooked up to x,y, and z. Running KMotionCNC with the sample ear GCode, the x axis appears to stall out when doing the long flat movements across the work area. Keep in mind that the steppers are running bare and not attached to the machine yet. The y and z axis moved just fine, but their movements were definitely smaller and slower than the x axis. I tried swapping steppers to different axis, and the same problem occurs on the x axis, regardless of which stepper is on it.

Aside from using InitKStep3Axis.c, nothing else was changed within the system. The KStep is running at 5 amps on each channel with the voltage clamp set to 13 volts. The system will ultimately have an additional slaved x stepper since I'm building a Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid setup, but given the power supply I'm testing with, I'm not going to push it at the moment.

Is the x stepper is stalling purely due to using the crappy computer power supply and the fact that it's being under-volted significantly? Once the Antek comes in, I'll hook it up and try again, but I was wondering if there's any step tweaking I could do to get more out of the system before then.

Also, is there a DynoMotion page on how to set up an emergency stop? I'm assuming there's some c code that needs to be implemented that watches an input for a signal or pull down to ground which will then trigger the estop condition. Am I on the right track?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.