Kanalog Questions

Thread: Kanalog Questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kanalog Questions

I have the Kflop/Kanalog combo I and I have a few questions.

1 - I see that the kflop has a "generic" list of what some I/O would be used for on the kflop, like encoder and home/limits on JP1. I see where the encoder connects on the kanalog but not seeing where the home/limit I/O on the kanalog is mapped to from the kflop.

2 - JP2 says that if only JP1 is needed for encoders that JP2 inputs are general I/O and can be used for other things. To use those inputs do you need to use JP9 for connection are can you use JP2 as the connection point?

3 - What kanalog outputs are normally used for step/direction? I will be connecting to DG2S-16035 servo drives.

4 - If using the Opto inputs for home/limit switches (the are 5V inductive) I'm guessing that I would need another 5V supply, and should not use the same supply that is powering the kanalog.

5 - Can some of the outputs on the kanalog be used to turn LEDs on/off? was planning on using a 5V supply with the appropriate series resistor.

6 - I see that I would need a breakout board of some kind to access the GPIO on JP12. Any one know a good source for one of these. Not sure what it would even be called.

Getting closer to having my KMB1 retrofit done. I have 95% of the hardware mounted, and about 30% of the wiring done.

Thanks
    -Wes

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I am curious why you would use Kanalog with step direction drives? instead of analog type and close the encoder loop back to Kanalog instead of the drive?
    This way you could use non-intelligent drive such as AMC?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well when I was looking for drives the DG2S was in my price range for the drives I had found. Some how I never ran across the AMC brand.

This is also my 1st servo based system build. Before this build I have only done stepper based system using Gecko's. Current one is a highly modified Joe's 4x4 Hybrid. All aluminum, double beam 4' x 8' rapids at 1200IPM.

At this point the drives are purchased and installed. Since this is a home/hobby shop, not in the budget to swap drives at this time. Not sure that it would really matter wither the loop is closed at the drive or kflop. This is all new water for me. I have seen other builds that use this same method with no problems.

Plus having run this type of control with my routers and not having any problems I figure it will work fine for what I need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I would have thought you could have achieved that with Kflop, I was just curious why you also got the Kanalog?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Needed +/-10 for my vfd plus I get screw terminals for a lot of the I/O. When I added up the cost of all the different breakout boards that I was going to need to get the signals I wanted it was very close to the kanalog price. Plus it would have been a lot of separate boards. I will be running my control panel switches through kanalog also.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Wes,

Yes as Al points out Kanalog was designed to be used with analog drives rather than Step/Dir Drives but it should still work for your purposes.

1 - I see that the kflop has a "generic" list of what some I/O would be used for on the kflop, like encoder and home/limits on JP1. I see where the encoder connects on the kanalog but not seeing where the home/limit I/O on the kanalog is mapped to from the kflop
    Those are just recommendations. Home and Limits are handled in software so can be on any input. Probably Kanalog opto inputs would be the best choice.

2 - JP2 says that if only JP1 is needed for encoders that JP2 inputs are general I/O and can be used for other things. To use those inputs do you need to use JP9 for connection are can you use JP2 as the connection point?

3 - What kanalog outputs are normally used for step/direction? I will be connecting to DG2S-16035 servo drives.
    Kanalog doesn't have any Step/Dir outputs. To use Step/Dir you must use Step/Dir outputs coming directly from KFLOP. KFLOP JP5 is probably the best choice. It has 4 Step/Dir ouputs (Step/Dir Generators #4-#7). Disconnect it from Kanalog and use it. You will lose Kanalog Differential Inputs on Kanalog JP2. Everything else on Kanalog will still function.

It looks like those drives require the Step/Dir signals to source voltage and current to 3V. So you must configure KFLOP's Step/Dir Generators to LVTTL output mode (rather than open collector). To do this add 8 to the Step/Dir channel number. So specify OutputChan0 = #12, #13, #14, #15 for your axis. For more information see here.

4 - If using the Opto inputs for home/limit switches (the are 5V inductive) I'm guessing that I would need another 5V supply, and should not use the same supply that is powering the kanalog.
    Yes it is a good idea to keep all the limit and home wiring isolated from KFLOP ground. So an isolated supply is required. 12V might be better than 5V. The Kanalog opto inputs can handle 5-24V without any series resistor reuired.

5 - Can some of the outputs on the kanalog be used to turn LEDs on/off? was planning on using a 5V supply with the appropriate series resistor.
    Yes, there are lots of choices: The (8) relay driver outputs might be used. The (8) Opto outputs might be used. The JP12 (8) 3.3V outputs migh be used.

6 - I see that I would need a breakout board of some kind to access the GPIO on JP12. Any one know a good source for one of these. Not sure what it would even be called.
    Winford sells a 40 pin breakout for $34. They also sell Ribbon cable and connectors in small qty.

HTH

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom!
    I have question!
    As correct to connect the hand management of coordinates from a buttons and MPG!
    I have the Kflop+Kanalog+MAch3 combo

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi MarunovV,

Normally an MPG can be connected to KFLOP JP4 and the MPGSmooth.c Example can be used to control it. It depends on what kind of MPG you have. There are also some example wiring diagrams on the Yahoo Group Files section.

Hope this helps

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com