•Quad 240W Microstepper Amplifer
    •Plug-n-Play with KFLOP
    •16X Microstepping
    •5A @ 48V Max
    •Super High Efficiency 17mohm MOSFETS
    •Opto Isolation
    •Mixed Current Decay
    •500K steps/sec
    •Regenerative Voltage Clamping (1KW peak)
    •includes 1 Opto Isolated Analog Output
    •includes (16) 12-24V Opto Inputs
    •includes (2) 30v @ 0.1A Opto Isolated Drivers
    •$199

Order here. More info here.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by TomKerekes; 12-28-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold! You dont have a "cash for clunkers" program for my gecko 203v's do you? JK...

Are closed loop steppers handled on this board alone or do encoder signals need to go directly through the Kflop?

-Brad

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Brad,

Thanks. If you wish to run closed loop steppers with encoders you must connect those back to KFLOP. Typically JP5 would be used.

Regards,

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you connect two of these to a KFLOP? I need 6 motors on my new router.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you can connect two KSTEPs to KFLOP for 8 motors. You will use the RJ45 connector from KFLOP for the second set of Step/Dir signals.

It isn't convienient or really practical to utilize the extra IO on the second board however.

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I have been looking at your Kflop system for several weeks and this latest addition looks to be very nice addition. Does the Kstep board contain any over-current or short-circuit protection?

Thanks,
    Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a very sweet driver! (Tom let me buy one a few weeks ago) It is like a G540 on steroids (for less money)! If you order one, I should mention one small caveat, like the G540, there is an "Enable" input that must be set "High" in order for the KStep to function. If you are using a KFlop as the signal source the proper KFlop bit is 45, configure it as an output and set it high.

If there is any interest I will set up a KStep with Mach3 (no KFlop) and report on it, but honestly it should be a very easy set up. I see no reason the KStep shouldn't meet the needs of even the most demanding NEMA23 systems and many NEMA34 systems.

Good Luck TOM!

Fish

Last edited by Fish4Fun; 01-03-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: G

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the Kstep board contain any over-current or short-circuit protection?
    Besides the normal current regulation setting no it doesn't. Miss wiring the motor or power supply is likely to cause damage.

KSTEP does have over-voltage clamping and protection which we feel is a common failure mode in other drives. It also has under-voltage lockout.

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Besides the normal current regulation setting no it doesn't. Miss wiring the motor or power supply is likely to cause damage.

KSTEP does have over-voltage clamping and protection which we feel is a common failure mode in other drives. It also has under-voltage lockout.

Regards
    Thanks guys..... This is the info I was looking for.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now for the big question: Does this drive have midband resonance compensation?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well KSTEP does seem to have excellent mid band characteristics due to the mixed decay current feedback and control. We have had all favorable reports while being compared to high end drives. KSTEP is not intended to be the “Best Money Can Buy”. It is designed to be at the sweet spot of price, performance, efficiency, resolution, and ease of use.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Current limit for motors

I'm on the fence between KStep and Gecko, actually though I've decided on KFlop. One thing that I'm wondering is that I'm looking at 3.5A motors, but it looks like I have to either over or under drive these motors with KStep. I'm assuming that the current limit jumpers are just selecting sense resistors. Does that mean that I could solder an additional sense resistor to a jumper and get a 3.5A current limit?

I also don't see an idle reduction, but I'm assuming that it would be very simple to add one by PWMing the enables when motion isn't detected for a certain amount of time. Is that right?

I'm not a'scairt of no short circuit protection, though

I'm brand new to CNC, though I do have a background in automation. I'm intending to use this in my instrument building business.

Thanks for any help....and hello, BTW

edit: one more question too
    If midrange resonance ends up being a problem in my particular setup, I wonder if anyone has developed a filter for KFlop to suppress it.
    Thanks again for any info you might offer. Seems like KStep is very well thought out.

-John

Last edited by John Coloccia; 11-14-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I wouldn't recommend soldering current resistors onto the board. I doubt if you will notice much torque reduction at the 3.13A setting especially at higher speeds where current would reduce below 3.13A anyway.

We don't have a current reduction option and PWMing the Enable doesn't work well. We intended to do this but didn't realize that the opto coupler that we selected for the Enable it too slow to PWM at a high rate. It is possible but results in an annoying audible noise. I've never been a big fan of idle current reduction. Sudden startup moves can stall coming out of idle on some systems. And your system needs to be designed to handle full on operation to run long jobs anyway.

If you add encoders for closed loop control you can observe and compensate for resonances in your system.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi John,

I wouldn't recommend soldering current resistors onto the board. I doubt if you will notice much torque reduction at the 3.13A setting especially at higher speeds where current would reduce below 3.13A anyway.

We don't have a current reduction option and PWMing the Enable doesn't work well. We intended to do this but didn't realize that the opto coupler that we selected for the Enable it too slow to PWM at a high rate. It is possible but results in an annoying audible noise. I've never been a big fan of idle current reduction. Sudden startup moves can stall coming out of idle on some systems. And your system needs to be designed to handle full on operation to run long jobs anyway.

If you add encoders for closed loop control you can observe and compensate for resonances in your system.

Regards
    Thanks, Tom. I may end up going with larger motors anyway and it won't me an issue. I am curious about the midrange resonance issue, though. I really don't want to go encoders at this time. I'm just wondering now that it's been out a while if this has cropped up at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

We haven't heard of any problems.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for the response, Tom. I think I've decided to go with the KFlop/KStep combo. I'm a newbie here so I also need some guidance on selecting motors and power supplies. I'm going to start a separate thread for that, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

edit: doesn't make sense now that the robo troll's gone