KFLOP replacing LPT/Mach3 How To

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KFLOP replacing LPT/Mach3 How To

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default KFLOP replacing LPT/Mach3 How To

I am still very much a "newbie" to CNC, and it turns out that many of the things I "discover" are "common knowledge" that I failed to read the memo on. DynoMotion's KFLOP may well be an example of just such a "public secret", but I am so excited I feel the need to "share"! This will be an ongoing thread describing my experiences with the KFLOP. My goal will be to define what the KFLOP does (and why one might buy one) and document the process of implementing it in a simple 3 axis, stepper based router with a G540 driver. This first post will focus on the "Why" and "What it is", and in subsequent posts I will document "How To" starting with the hardware connections. I also plan to highlight features/problems/bugs in separate posts as I go along. It is my hope that my experiences with the KFLOP will help other DIYers find solutions to their motion control problems/limitations.

What is the KFLOP:

The KFLOP is part of a very sophisticated motion controller system. It is wildy robust with a DSP (Digital Signal Processor), FPGA and 16MB of on-board memory. Quoting from KMotion's description:

....(the) KMotion Family of High Performance 8-axis Motion Control Boards.....

This board has capabilities above and beyond anything else in its class - starting with a data-hungry 1.2 GFLOP DSP all the way to our customized software that includes C-code, G-code, Motion Libraries, KMotionCNC, and many prepackaged filters.

Here are just a few highlights of the Motion Control Board:
    High Performance 1.2 GFLOP DSP
    64-bit Double Precision Hardware Math
    90us Servo Sample Rate (that's 90us for all 8 axes, inclusive)
    USB 2.0 Full Speed Host interface (or run stand alone)
    16 MBytes RAM
    Digital I/O (44)
    At the most basic level the KFLOP is a way to replace your LPT port with a USB connection; a topic that comes up FREQUENTLY in this forum, but it is SOOOO much more than just a USB to LPT interface! When I purchased my "A4" from John (Microcarve) back in March I thought I had read enough to hit the ground running. I ordered a G540, matching 381oz-in steppers, a 12A 48V PS and Mach3. I built a new desktop to run it all from and made the mistake of installing Win7 Ultimate. I beat my head against a wall attempting to get Mach3/Win7 to "play nice" with my little router for over a week before I finally installed WinXP. With WinXP I was able to run a gcode file from start to finish w/o missed steps//motor locking, but 30IPM was the fastest I could achieve w/o problems. I read, posted and talked with the folks @ Mach3, but the problem persisted; it is likely a combination of my MOBO, XP install and Mach3 settings, but no amount of fiddling solved the problem, and I was considering a new PC when I started reading about motion control boards.

There is amazingly little information on motion control boards, but I read everything I could find and finally posted a thread here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ol_advice.html . Two different people mentioned the KFLOP in response to my query, and that was enough to narrow my focus. I contacted KMotion with a few questions and was pleasantly surprised by their quick and informative responses, so I ordered a KFLOP. @ $250 + Shipping it seemed like it had a better chance of solving my problems than buying another MOBO or doing another OS install. I am still in the learning phase//conversion process, but once I wired the KFLOP to my G540 and made the steppers spin, WOW what a difference! In the set-up utility you can test the motors at different step rates and I could not believe my eyes and ears! I "tested" my x-axis first @ 24,000 steps per second (200 Steps/Rev * 10 uSteps/Step * 12 Rev/Inch ==> 24,000 Steps/Inch ==> 60IPM//720RPM) and it responded smoothly and quietly (@ 60IPM using my LPT with Mach3 the motors sound like a transmission with a broken gear). Then I sped it up to 48,000 steps per second (120IPM//1440RPM) and was amazed my little machine was capable of moving that fast (did I mention SMOOTHLY?). I kept increasing the step rate expecting to hear the familiar "missed step" or "locked motor" sounds, but my steppers acted like finely tuned race cars. I stopped @ 120,000 steps/sec (300IPM//3600RPM) because I was afraid I couldn't hit the "stop button" fast enough to prevent a "crash" (11inch axis travel @ 300IPM = 2 seconds from stop to stop not counting acceleration/deceleration! and I hadn't figured out yet how to use the console to move fixed distances, more on that later). While I have not even begun to delve into any of the advanced features the board is capable of, I am VERY IMPRESSED with it! @ 120,000 Steps per second in up to 8 Axis Simultaneously, the KFLOP is not even breaking a sweat, it is capable of 2,500,000 steps per second! I cannot imagine the set-up that might be able to utilize 2.5MSteps/Second, but if there is one the KFLOP can handle it!

The board comes with tons of software including KMotionCNC, functionally equivalent to Mach3. KMotionCNC does not have 50 screens and tons of bells and whistles, but it is clean, uncluttered and intuitive to use. It also has a plug-in for Mach3 if you don't want to learn yet another application (I have not tested the Mach3 plug-in yet.) The board is also capable of running in "stand alone mode"; that is, with No PC interface at all (load your "program", ie gcode, onto the board and then take the board to your machine and "plug and play" w/o a PC connected to the board.) A Visual Basic and Visual C++ "Jogger" application is included to demonstrate how to interface with the KFLOP via code for custom front ends. All of their software includes source code for those who want to modify/customize the applications. The trajectory planning is configurable and fairly intuitive. It runs gcode generated for Mach3 with minor header alterations (more on that later).

With a "free" Machine Controller the "real cost" of the KFLOP is only $75 more than Mach3 (Mach3 is $175 per PC if you obey the licensing agreement, the KFLOP is $250 but includes the Machine Controller Application for free so $250 - $175 => $75. I know there is a huge support base for Mach3, and Mach3 is a great Application, but modern Operating Systems and MoBos are making it increasingly difficult to use the LPT port for precision timing. If maintaining a dedicated, legacy PC for machine control is not your cup of tea and you want to be able to plug your modern Laptop (or any other USB enabled PC) into your CNC machine then the KFLOP is a Godsend!

Ok, that's it for the "Why" and "What it is". I will break the post here and begin the "How To" with the hardware connections in my next post.

Fish

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered my KFLOP on 10/26/11 and it arrived in NC on 10/28/11 from CA! I was expecting it to take a week or more, so I wasn't really "ready" when it got here. The KFLOP has two primary I/O connections and two secondary I/O. The two primary connections are JP7, a 20 pin dual row 0.100in ribbon cable connector and JP5 an 8pin modular jack connector (exactly like a network CAT5 connector). In addition there are two other 16 pin dual row 0.100in ribbon cable connectors. For my purposes JP7 more than met my needs.

While there are generic "breakout boards" available ( 2x13 0.1" Header (26 position IDC ribbon connector) Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering ), I wanted to be able to plug my existing DB25 directly into the KFLOP exactly the way it was setup for MACH3 & my desktop. Since one of the main purposes for my A4 is PCBs, I, of course, opted to build a custom interface board.

There are only two parts 1) Female DB25 connector 2) 10x2 0.100 Header pins. It is a double sided board, but to make it easy (avoid complicated registration fixtures) I did the gcode as two single sided PCBs from the same sheet of 0.031 FR4 PCB material (obviously the "bottom side" was "mirrored".) When the traces were cut, holes drilled and board cut out I began by inserting all the "VIAs". I used a 0.25mm drill for the VIA holes and "tag ends" from 1/8 watt resistors for the VIAs themselves. The wires were a snug fit and indexed the two PCBs firmly together prior to soldering. Once the VIAs were soldered and clipped I inserted the DB25 and Dual Row pins and soldered them. I did not have any tinning solution on hand, so I simply "tinned" the PCB with solder.

**My camera flash drive just went South, so no more pictures till I get another one, LOL**

I will likely build a more robust interface PCB once I have figured out what all I want to have on it (Spindle control? limit/home switches? etc etc) but for now building this one was all my A.D.D. could stand; I wanted to see if the KFLOP worked! IT DID ;-)

Having said nothing so far but kind things about the KFLOP, it is time for a little dose of reality. The documentation, setup procedure and nomenclature are needlessly convoluted and unintuitive. Tom Kerekes (the only person I have been in contact with for both sales questions and support) has been very quick with help, but even he states:

Yes we realize our controller has a steep learing curve. We are focusing on flexibility, performance, and reliability first. We feel we can focus on ease of use, plug and play, and "canned" configurations later. But it never seems to happen. Everybody has a custom configuration needing special features but at the same time feels that their system should be the default plug and play system :}
    Rather than wish it were different, I will attempt to cut through some of the engineering double speak and mumbo jumbo so anyone wanting to set up a KFLOP for steppers with a G540 (or Gecko 25xs) can do so without pulling out their hair. The two main applications are KMotion and KMotionCNC. KMotion is mostly a set up and tuning program while KMotionCNC is the primary machine interface for running gcode. KMotionCNC is very straight forward to use and has a clean and intuitive user interface. KMotion assumes you are familiar with the KFLOP and its Nomenclature. To KMotion's credit, every "screen" has a "Help Button" that takes you straight to a detailed explanation of the various functions of the screen. The problem is that the board is so feature rich that finding the "right answer" can be difficult.

Here is a screen shot of the main configuration screen:

Starting with the upper left-hand corner, there is a "Drop Down" labled "Channel". This is really important! All of the information on the screen pertains ONLY to the selected Channel! For setup of Axis 0, 1, 2 for a typical 3 Axis Stepper machine with X, Y, Z, you will need to "set up" each channel using this screen.

The "Axis Modes" box has two drop downs. For a simple stepper with NO ENCODER the settings are "No Input" and "Step Dir".

The "Master/Slave" defaults to slave gain = 1 master axis = -1 disabled. Best I can tell leave this alone.

The "Input Channels" box defaults to 2, 1, 0. I have no idea what this does, but leave it alone.

The "Output Channels" box is VERY IMPORTANT! Before i explain what to do here, I am going to quote some mumbo jumbo from the help wrt to this box, then I will attempt to make it "clear".

The 8 Axes of Step/Dir outputs are normally hard wired to IO bits 8 through 15 on JP7 and IO bits 36 through 43 on JP5. However the first 4 Step/Dir outputs can be multiplexed to connectors JP4 and JP6 if desired. This may be required if JP7 is used for some other purpose such as interfacing to the Kanalog I/O Expander. A global multiplexing bit is used to switch the outputs to the alternate connectors.

Note that the first 8 of 10 I/O pins of Aux #0 and Aux #1 have internal 150 Ohm pull down resistors. Therefore Pins JP4-13, JP4-14, JP6-13 and JP6-14 may not be used in Open Collector mode.

If an axis channel is selected as a Step and Direction axis, the corresponding 2 output pins will be automatically configured as outputs and they may not be used as general purpose IO.

Valid output channel settings 0-31 are allowed for KFLOP. Although only 8 Step and Direction generators are available for KFLOP by adding 8 and/or 16 to the channel number the mode of the Step/Dir Generator can be changed.

Adding 8 to the channel number uses the same generator to be used except the output pins are actively driven (high and low) as 3.3V LVTTL signals instead of only driven low as open collector outputs.

Adding 16 to the channel number switches the generator from Step/Dir to Quadrature output mode.

If your amplifier has opto coupler inputs driven off +5V then open-collector mode is likely to work better. The diagram below shows how the open collector mode works driving the LED of an Opto Coupler with the anode connected to +5V.

However if the amplifier has standard logic inputs then LVTTL outputs should work better.

Quadrature outputs are required for some amplifiers. Quadrature outputs output two A B phases instead of Step/Dir signals. An advantage is that only one signal edge transition takes place for each "step" as opposed to a complete pulse.
    Ok, if you are like me and you read through all of that and then thought to yourself, "Huh?", then here is what you need to know:

To make the Gecko drives work, Add 8 to the channel number and select that number in the first box of "Output Channels". That is if you are working on:

Channel 0 Select "8" from the drop down in the "Output Channels" box.
    Channel 1 Select "9" from the drop down in the "Output Channels" box.
    Channel 2 Select "10" from the drop down in the "Output Channels" box.

You can leave "gain" @ 1 & offset @ 0 for now. (It turns out "gain" means "direction" in this case, LOL, but there are other places to worry about that.)

The "Backlash" box is pretty straight forward, "rate" = "speed" in steps per second and "amount" = the number of backlash steps. "mode" simply turns Backlash on or off. I have not set my backlash yet, so I currently have it disabled.

I have not setup my Limit switches yet, so I will revisit that in a later post.

"The Launch on Power Up" box is for launching configuration scripts (reffered to in the Help alternately as "threads" and "Programs") at power on. I have been led to believe this is a powerful feature, but I haven't figured it out yet, LOL.

The "Flash" box is an area that I have not yet explored.

Finally, the buttons at the bottom of the page.....wow. This is so counter-intuitive they actually have a "Flash Video" explaining them! ( http://www.dynomotion.com/Help/Flash...ers/index.html ) Following is the cliff notes version:

Code:
    Save Channel        ==> Saves the Settings on the screen to a File on your computer.
    Load Channel        ==> Loads settings from a file TO the Configuration Screen (but NOT to the KFLOP!)
    Download Channel    ==> Moves the CURRENT CHANNEL information from the screen TO the KFLOP.
    Upload Channel      ==> Moves the Settings Already in KFLOP TO the Console Screen.
    C Code -> Clipboard ==> Parses the settings into text that can be C&Ped into a configuration program.  Clicking on this button does not "appear" to do anything, but if you go to a text editor and "paste" the contents of the clipboard the configuration text is what will be pasted.
    Following is a sample of the "C Code" data copied for the above screen shot:

Code:
    	ch2->InputMode=NO_INPUT_MODE;
    	ch2->OutputMode=STEP_DIR_MODE;
    	ch2->Vel=60000;
    	ch2->Accel=200000;
    	ch2->Jerk=4e+006;
    	ch2->P=0;
    	ch2->I=0.01;
    	ch2->D=0;
    	ch2->FFAccel=0;
    	ch2->FFVel=0;
    	ch2->MaxI=200;
    	ch2->MaxErr=1e+006;
    	ch2->MaxOutput=200;
    	ch2->DeadBandGain=1;
    	ch2->DeadBandRange=0;
    	ch2->InputChan0=2;
    	ch2->InputChan1=0;
    	ch2->OutputChan0=10;
    	ch2->OutputChan1=0;
    	ch2->MasterAxis=-1;
    	ch2->LimitSwitchOptions=0x70020;
    	ch2->InputGain0=1;
    	ch2->InputGain1=1;
    	ch2->InputOffset0=0;
    	ch2->InputOffset1=0;
    	ch2->OutputGain=1;
    	ch2->OutputOffset=0;
    	ch2->SlaveGain=1;
    	ch2->BacklashMode=BACKLASH_OFF;
    	ch2->BacklashAmount=0;
    	ch2->BacklashRate=0;
    	ch2->invDistPerCycle=1;
    	ch2->Lead=0;
    	ch2->MaxFollowingError=1000000000;
    	ch2->StepperAmplitude=20;

ch2->iir[0].B0=1;
    	ch2->iir[0].B1=0;
    	ch2->iir[0].B2=0;
    	ch2->iir[0].A1=0;
    	ch2->iir[0].A2=0;

ch2->iir[1].B0=1;
    	ch2->iir[1].B1=0;
    	ch2->iir[1].B2=0;
    	ch2->iir[1].A1=0;
    	ch2->iir[1].A2=0;

ch2->iir[2].B0=0.000769;
    	ch2->iir[2].B1=0.001538;
    	ch2->iir[2].B2=0.000769;
    	ch2->iir[2].A1=1.92081;
    	ch2->iir[2].A2=-0.923885;

So, to recap, Save & Load affect ONLY the configuration screen, NOT the KFLOP.
    Upload & Download move settings between the KFLOP and the Screen, and "Up" means From KFLOP to the PC while "Down" means From the PC to the KFLOP.

To be VERY Clear: You can play with the configuration screen all you like, nothing will be changed on the KFLOP until you click the "Download" button. This MUST BE DONE for EACH CHANNEL!

For Clarity: THIS MUST BE DONE FOR EACH CHANNEL (Axis)

I should probably restate that you MUST "Download" each channel one at a time, but I think everyone is on board with the idea by now.

And, No, you aren't "done yet". It turns out all of this is just to "get you started". I have spent the entire morning working on this, and reading through it I didn't get nearly as far as I had hoped, but I am going to stop here for now and go play some more with my cool new KFLOP :-)

Next up is the "Step Response" screen and some interesting facets of the interactions of the various "screens" in KMotion.

As a footnote, I plan to write a simple front end for creating a stepper configuration file that will allow you to skip configuration in KMotion altogether. It turns out you really don't have to use KMotion to configure the KFLOP at all, and despite Tom's assertion that "Everybody has a custom configuration needing special features", I think many here in the DIY world have pretty common/simple needs. Once you have a configuration file for your machine, all you will need is KMotionCNC or Mach3. The configuration information can be stored on your PC and "Downloaded" to the KFLOP at start up or stored on the KFLOP itself....but that is putting the cart before the horse :-)

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe we should request its own forum I know there is A Dynomotion group but there may be more exposure here?
    With Kanalog added allows analogue type drive and much more I/O.
    Maybe replace the 'Brain' forum which seems to have petered out.
    Look forward to your contribution as I am gathering info right now on making a CNC package system up based around something like the Dynomotion.
    So far the response from Tom K. has been excellent
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al,

I actually asked Tom if he had considered moving his support from Yahoo Groups to here, he seemed reluctant, but he sure would get A LOT more exposure. (Yahoo Groups is like reading someone else's diary with foot notes by casual observers.) Perhaps you could give him a nudge ;-)

As far as a CNC package and the KFLOP, I don't see how you could go wrong. Like I pointed out, it is only $75 more than Mach3 and it has a LOT better functionality/versatility.

I am writing this "How To" because I couldn't find much information at all about motion control boards, and once I started figuring out what the KFLOP really offered I thought Hobbyist would love the versatility/portability for the $$. I was also hoping some owners/potential owners would chime in.....so far, so good!

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't actually mean move the Yahoo group, but if a forum was started here I am sure he would monitor it as he visits from time to time.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I didn't actually mean move the Yahoo group, but if a forum was started here I am sure he would monitor it as he visits from time to time.
    Al.
    Hi Al,

If you could make that happen I think it would be very helpful.

Thanks
    TK
    Dynomotion | Motion Control Boards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been working on a simplified front end for creating a configuration script for the KFlop using Open Loop Steppers (ie, no encoders). I will post some details in the next day or so (and hopefully will have it ready enough to post a download link for a Beta release of the exe & source code for it). But for now here is a screen shot:

I have a bunch more to post about the KFlop and how to configure it, but I am spending most of my spare time playing with it ;-) For those interested, the source is written in VB6 and will be available along with the .exe

Fish

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Fish4Fun,

Thanks for all the information! I just ordered my KFlop 20 minutes ago. My setup is similar to yours in that I'm using steppers, but I want to use encoders. My machine is also a little bigger then yours; 100" for X-axis x 50" for the Y-axis.

I'm also going to use 2 motors for the X-axis, one on each side. I'm curious how KFlop is going to handle the gearing or master/slave relationship with 2 motors.

Lastly, once I get the standard X,Y,Z i'd like to add a 4th axis. Basically a stepper driven lathe that I can bolt to my table.

I'm hoping I can contribute something worthwhile to your thread with the setup differences of my machine. May be better to start my own thread so yours doesn't become convoluted with my settings. Plus, yours will be better written.

Anyway, thanks again!

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nova24 View Post

I'm also going to use 2 motors for the X-axis, one on each side. I'm curious how KFlop is going to handle the gearing or master/slave relationship with 2 motors.

Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

You can slave an axis to another by setting the MasterAxis parameter in an axis to the axis channel number you would like it to follow. To de-slave the axis set the MasterAxis back to -1. Normally one will de-slave while homing to square up the axis then enable slaving.

HTH

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nova24,

You are going to LOVE your KFlop once you get it set up! I will try to get a bit more written on the set-up before your KFlop arrives, but I have ZERO experience with encoders, so you will likely need to read up on that and ask Tom those questions.

Feel free to post what you like in this thread wrt setting up your KFlop. I started the thread because I couldn't find much information on them and figured others might be more inclined to give them a try if they read a bit about them.

If you have ever run your steppers using something like Mach3 & the LPT port you will be AMAZED @ how differently they sound and behave!

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

Fish,

I'm glad someone started a forum here for this amazing piece of hardware. Your configurator will be a nice tool for people using KmotionCNC and just want to make some parts.

-Brad

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brad,

Thanks! I think it would be difficult to overstate what a cool piece of hardware these boards really are. Making them "easier to set up" is something I think will really help give them the mass appeal they deserve. Please feel free to point out any "tips" you might have.

Hopefully after this weekend I will get some more time to continue with the "how to". Tom feels like simplifying the "Home" and "Limit" setup will be important to users, so as soon as I get them figured out I will add that to both the configuration app and this thread.

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you add the ability to slave the X or Y to the B axis? People tend to use A for their rotary axis, so if they need to slave, it's usually to the B axis.
    I don't have a KFLOP yet, but it's at the top of my list for the next router I'm building.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Can you add the ability to slave the X or Y to the B axis? People tend to use A for their rotary axis, so if they need to slave, it's usually to the B axis.
    I don't have a KFLOP yet, but it's at the top of my list for the next router I'm building.
    Yes you can slave any axis to any axis. KFLOP uses a concept of 0 through 7 "Axis Channels" which are basically motors. The Axis Channels can then be slaved to follow any other Axis Channel and any Axis Channel can be mapped to any Interpreter Axis (X,Y,Z,A,B,C). See here.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

I meant in his configuration app.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh! never mind.

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

I would love some input on the Configuration App, but I am hesitant to "post it" before it is fully finished//debugged. Anyone who would like a copy for debugging//feedback purposes I will be happy to email them source & exe under the proviso they understand it is still very much in "beta".

As far as adding more channels to my front-end....from a programming point-of-view that is a trivial task, but my intent is to make set up easy and straight-forward for someone with a G540 or similar driver, the KMotion configuration console has a lot more flexibility for 5-8 driver systems, and is likely best suited for them. My front-end assumes simple stepper drivers, no encoders, and currently no home, limit or spindle switches/relays. The main goal is to make the KFlop drop into a basic system and give "immediate gratification". If I attempt to add all of the functionality of KMotion into my front-end, it will likely become as complicated to use as KMotion, rendering it a waste of time on my part.

Having said that, once I have spindle, limit & home switch capabilities integrated into it, I will certainly consider adding an "advanced mode" that allows more STEPPER driver configurations, but I have NO plans for adding servo configuration options, and doubt I will add encoder support unless it seems really important to a lot of people who have trouble with KMotion. My front-end is really for the folks who only need about 5% of what the KFlop has to offer and don't want to wade through the documentation to get their 3/4 axis Stepper system up and running.

My ultimate goal with both the front-end and my "How To" is to introduce people to the KFlop//KMotionCNC as great replacements for an LPT/Mach3; and to help get them started quickly. Anything I can do toward that end I will do happily:-)

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

My front-end is really for the folks who only need about 5% of what the KFlop has to offer and don't want to wade through the documentation to get their 3/4 axis Stepper system up and running.
    That's basically what I'll be doing. But my gantry will have the B axis slaved to the X, and the A axis will be a rotary axis. Just a 3 axis router with a rotary axis, but it'll have 5 steppers.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read this thread with great interest and I am interested in purchasing the KFlop. The problem I have and I'm sure other users have is that we have been using Mach3 and
    the parallel port for many years; thousands of the Mach3 configurations are in use and seem to work quite well for most users. Now the KFlop comes along and suddenly all the Mach3
    configurations are obsolete and have performance problems. My question is why I should upgrade if Mach3 is working? I think that this is the question that most CNC users will have.
    Thanks for this thread, it is the most informative that I have found.

Regards, Carl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fish4Fun View Post
    Gerry,

My ultimate goal with both the front-end and my "How To" is to introduce people to the KFlop//KMotionCNC as great replacements for an LPT/Mach3; and to help get them started quickly. Anything I can do toward that end I will do happily:-)

Fish
    dear fish4fun,
    i will be looking at the performance and stability it can deliver. At ~300$ things are never expensive as long as they are closer to the commercial cnc controls in case of stability.
    But i am afraid that it will be hard to troubleshoot it. In parallel communication, we can check the malfunctioning pin of a port individually and leave it unused. With such a digital control system, it will be tough for a guy like me (who just knows how to use a multimeter to check volts and continuity only lol!) to troubleshoot the problems.
    As far as the configuration, the screenshots of its codes and settings scared me.

regards,
    jasminder singh

It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast